Author Topic: Recommend some electronic kitchen scales, please  (Read 2731 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Recommend some electronic kitchen scales, please
« on: 18 January, 2021, 05:49:05 pm »
Thus far I've managed with a delightful set of rusty thumping cast iron scales with chipped enamel 'bowl' and lbs and ounces weights - which were already in the 16th C. cottage my late wife moved into in 1969. Still doin' the biz admirably  :thumbsup:

But I fancy being able to tare up and enter the modern world.

I tried miserably a decade or so ago with some Salter stainless steel, circa £25 jobby - but the batteries only ever lasted a couple of months, even though it had minimal use! Plus the electronics and display were intermittent to say the least. (do they have Friday afternoons in far east factories too?)

Latest try, an extremely shoddy £7 Aldi plastic gubbins (what could one expect, indeed?) that's too small and feels like it's going to snap, not to mention the LCD display is difficult to see.

So can anyone one recommend anything fairly recent which doesn't necessarily have that rip off roll necked, architect designed Moulton rider vibe, etc - and feels and behaves it's worth/functionality?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Recommend some electronic kitchen scales, please
« Reply #1 on: 18 January, 2021, 06:33:09 pm »
This is what I have:
https://myweigh.com/product/kd8000/

Features I like:
Display angled for easy reading (even with a large bowl on the platform)
Back light
8kg capacity
Powered via mains or battery
Platform removable for cleaning
Protective flap over control panel

The bakers percentage is a nice gimmick but not a must have.

Not had it that long though so can’t comment on durability.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Recommend some electronic kitchen scales, please
« Reply #2 on: 18 January, 2021, 06:33:55 pm »
I bought a set of Jennings CJ4000 in 2015, still happy with them apart from the plug. Can be used via mains or AAA batteries.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3 on: 18 January, 2021, 06:38:13 pm »
We've used ones like these for a few years. https://www.lakeland.co.uk/43747/Joseph-Joseph-TriScale-White

They get a couple of years from a set of batteries. Very compact for storage.

The little icons that say what units it is measuring are a bit small. For some reasons it has ml and g as separate settings. Otherwise very good.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #4 on: 18 January, 2021, 07:51:58 pm »
I'd also recommend the MyWeigh KD8000. I bought mine from Inoxia, choosing the version without the AA batteries as a mains adapter is now supplied as standard. I use it regularly, mainly for baking bread; the tare function is very useful.

« Reply #5 on: 18 January, 2021, 07:58:17 pm »
We have standard Salter Kitchen Scale.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8490801

Battery been changed once in my habitation with it. It came with the bloke and is approx 2012 vintage - I think I made him buy one so I could bake at his place.

citoyen

« Reply #6 on: 18 January, 2021, 08:25:44 pm »
For some reasons it has ml and g as separate settings.

A great selling point for people who don’t realise - look, it does BOTH g and ml!!!! So much better than the ones that only do g!

Even better, our old Salter scales could do both ounces and fluid ounces.

« Reply #7 on: 18 January, 2021, 10:10:16 pm »
I like the one Citoyen linked to, but I use this one http://www.salterhousewares.co.uk/kitchen-59/kitchenscales/all-kitchen-scales/salter-black-10kg-glass-electronic-kitchen-scales.html

Here's what I think you need to think about:
Capacity - 5Kg is too small, the 8 of the MyWeigh or the 10 of the Salter is good
Size - where are you going to keep it? the salter is very sleek
Ease of use - the angled front of the my weigh is nice, but it is at the penalty of size, I don't normally have issues with the Salter as the platform is large enough. How long before it turns itself off? Any decent scale has a zero facility, the calculation of the Frank Sinatra My Weigh might be of interest - I use my smart speaker to do the maths these days: "OK google, what's 70% of 470?" (along with timers and reminders -I'm surprised how handy it is for cooking)
Finally, quality. scales can have a hard life.

« Reply #8 on: 18 January, 2021, 10:30:43 pm »
We have this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000ZNNDTM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like it as it the whole top of the scale is usable - the disc is just cosmetic - so good for all shapes of object. Checked it against known weights when I first got it and it’s not far off at all for a <£20 weighing scale.

15 year guarantee  ;D

« Reply #9 on: 18 January, 2021, 10:36:39 pm »
We've got the same1 ones Ham has linked to (though I'm sure I didn't pay thirty quid for them - they were a special in Robert Dyas a few years ago). Work fine, weight sometimes drifts a bit though only by a couple of grammes, sometimes whinges about low battery when it's cold (though I don't think I've changed the batteries since we got them, so that's scarcely a complaint - AAAs and they've lasted for ages), display can get obscured by the vessel you're weighing in, though that's never meant anything worse than a slightly awkward viewing angle.

1: Just checked - no we don't. They're cosmetically identical, but a 5kg limit and presumably an older model.2
2: Looks like it's still current - model no 1150BKDR. I've never found the 5kg limit a problem but maybe I'm less adventurous than Ham.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 19 January, 2021, 02:36:25 am »
I have few complaints about the Boots kitchen scales I bought in the early '90s.
They do metric to within 2g and imperial and can weigh up to 2.5kg. They have an add & weigh feature and a jug that fits the platform.
PP3 batteries last about 5 years.

The jug is bright white (it has been kept in a cupboard) but the scales themselves (kept next to the gas hob) have discoloured on the upper side over the last three decades...

« Reply #11 on: 19 January, 2021, 07:49:46 am »
(though I'm sure I didn't pay thirty quid for them - they were a special in Robert Dyas a few years ago)
Neither did I - £15 from Salter's website few years back in a sale

I've never found the 5kg limit a problem but maybe I'm less adventurous than Ham.[/size]

The 5Kg limit mainly becomes an issue depending on the container you are using. I have a stoneware mixing bowl that weighs 3Kg, and I frequently (FCVO "Frequent") make megaloads of cake mix in it, and bread with 1.5Kg of flour, I can also measure directly into a heavy saucepan when occasion demands. Now it is possible that the 5Kg is 5Kg once it has been zeroed, but I'm not taking that chance. Also having the >5Kg capacity gives extra flexibility for odd weighing tasks where bathroom scales are not useful, eg weighing produce off the allotment for the lolz.

« Reply #12 on: 19 January, 2021, 08:01:43 am »
I've got the same ones as Ham 'cause there's nothing worse than maxxing out a scale. I can weigh a saucepan with 9 litres of water in it, as you do.

They get used a minimum of three times a day and I don't feel like I have to change the batteries ridiculously often.

Oh, and they have a glass surface so I have cheekily put hot pans straight from the hob to weigh in extra ingredients. I don't know if that's against the rules or what it's designed for but they haven't broken yet.

citoyen

« Reply #13 on: 19 January, 2021, 08:58:30 am »
Size - where are you going to keep it? the salter is very sleek
Ease of use - the angled front of the my weigh is nice, but it is at the penalty of size, I don't normally have issues with the Salter as the platform is large enough.

Yes, the size is the one down side of the Myweigh scales but I’m happy to make room for them - they earn the space. And I’m lucky to have a big enough kitchen with enough countertop capacity that I don’t have to worry about that too much.

I do like the look of the ones Diver linked to though - very clever.

citoyen

« Reply #14 on: 19 January, 2021, 09:00:44 am »
it is possible that the 5Kg is 5Kg once it has been zeroed,

Not in my experience. You’re only zeroing the display, not the actual weight sensors.

citoyen

« Reply #15 on: 19 January, 2021, 09:11:16 am »
I have few complaints about the Boots kitchen scales I bought in the early '90s.

They don’t make them like they used to! I had a set of John Lewis own brand scales of similar vintage that I really liked. They lasted ~20 years until, unfortunately, they got damaged somehow (dropped, possibly). They were replaced with some cheap Salter scales that I’ve never really been happy with - not least because of their very limited capacity (not even 5kg).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16 on: 19 January, 2021, 09:21:54 am »
Been using a Soehnle Page Profi for >5 years, originally for weighing coffee prior to roasting. It does 0-15 kg in 1g increments. Don't roast any more but for general cookery it's accurate enough. Advantage is that when not in use they go up on edge and disappear into the dark slot between my coffee machin and a cupboard.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #17 on: 19 January, 2021, 09:46:00 am »

Not in my experience. You’re only zeroing the display, not the actual weight sensors.
My scales weigh up to 5kg whichever container I've used, I assumed they all did, though haven't given it much thought, or found if mine have a limit, they'll certainly go up to 5kg with a 3kg pan zeroed.
Can't remember how long I've had them, at least five years, they either get used several times a day or not for months.  identical to these but not branded and I think they came from Lakeland.  Nothing special. but do the job and reliable.
 https://myweigh.com/product/steele/

citoyen

« Reply #18 on: 19 January, 2021, 10:08:11 am »

My scales weigh up to 5kg whichever container I've used, I assumed they all did, though haven't given it much thought, or found if mine have a limit, they'll certainly go up to 5kg with a 3kg pan zeroed.

Righto. Probably just my cheapo Salter scales that do that then. Useless piece of shit.

« Reply #19 on: 19 January, 2021, 10:30:06 am »

So you have 8+ kg scales that are software knobbled to pretend to be 5 kg scales?

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #20 on: 19 January, 2021, 10:59:11 am »
Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

As usual lots of interesting points to look at and consider. Will do some serious pondering and delving today, as it's too wet and dangerously windy out there to ride a bike  :(

Been using a Soehnle Page Profi for >5 years, originally for weighing coffee prior to roasting. It does 0-15 kg in 1g increments. Don't roast any more but for general cookery it's accurate enough. Advantage is that when not in use they go up on edge and disappear into the dark slot between my coffee machin and a cupboard.

Like the look of those, bit like my iPad. Appreciate the highlighted bit as worktop space @ Snowdon Towers is limited

« Reply #21 on: 19 January, 2021, 11:17:44 am »

So you have 8+ kg scales that are software knobbled to pretend to be 5 kg scales?
I have no idea how they work, but out of curiosity...
If I use the tare function, they only go up to 5kg including the container.
But if I place the container on first, they go up to 5kg plus the container.  I've tried it with a 10kg base weight (Bucket of water) and they'll still weigh an additional 5kg. I haven't noticed this before as the container will usually be in place before I switch them on.  The 10kg bucket is as heavy as I'll try for fear of damaging them (Not to mention spilling the water)

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #22 on: 19 January, 2021, 01:07:38 pm »
Just clicked BUY on a Soehnle Pagi Profi 67080 HERE £35 delivered

There were no roll neck pullovers in the video below and I sure hope to be as happy and clean as these people -

https://www.soehnle.de/en/products/details/details/page-profi/

Thanks again folks for all the tips and suggestions :thumbsup:

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #23 on: 19 January, 2021, 01:20:19 pm »

Battery been changed once in my habitation with it. It came with the bloke and is approx 2012 vintage - I think I made him buy one so I could bake at his place.

Would you like a white one too for free? Will post for free also :thumbsup: PM if can use

Also offered to anyone else for :) karma

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #24 on: 19 January, 2021, 01:52:02 pm »

We've got these Salter scales (Aquatronic Glass): http://www.salterhousewares.co.uk/kitchen-72/kitchenscales/all-kitchen-scales/salter-aquatronic-glass-electronic-digital-kitchen-scales.html

The angle the display is at is handy for reading when large bowls are being used.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor