Author Topic: Recommend some electronic kitchen scales, please  (Read 2739 times)

Re: Recommend some electronic kitchen scales, please
« Reply #25 on: 19 January, 2021, 05:24:13 pm »
I use the scales designed for aeroplane luggage weighing to bridge the gap between 5 kg kitchen scales and bathroom scales.

Eg. put dog in harness, lift harness using luggage scales, wait for wriggling to stop and reading to become steady.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #26 on: 19 January, 2021, 05:35:32 pm »
I use the scales designed for aeroplane luggage weighing to bridge the gap between 5 kg kitchen scales and bathroom scales.

Eg. put dog in harness, lift harness using luggage scales, wait for wriggling to stop and reading to become steady.

I had a set of those for weighing bikes, back when that task was part of my day job. Probably not much good for weighing flour though. They're called Newton scales, iirc. Not to be confused with the Newton temperature scale. Or the village of Newton-with-Scales in Lancashire.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #27 on: 19 January, 2021, 08:05:38 pm »
So you have 8+ kg scales that are software knobbled to pretend to be 5 kg scales?
I have no idea how they work, but out of curiosity...

Since I own too many digital scales:

- Salter, same as fboabs, labelled 3 kg, but scale cuts off somewhere around 3.2 kg. Zeroing it can get up to about 4 kg total. Oddly at this point it just sticks at an incorrect value out rather than showing Errrrr.

- 10 kg cheapo chinese kitchen scales. Cuts off at 10 kg, and pressing the "Tare" button doesn't give you more *but* if you switch it off and on you do get more range. Starting with 9.5 kg of random kitchen stuff precariously balanced I can get another 10 kg by pressing on it. I don't have enough iridium bricks in my kitchen to test its actual upper limit.

- 500g drug dealer scales "They're for weighing spoke nipples officer, I swear". Same odd behaviour with taring vs switching off. Real upper limit seems to be 2 kg.

And here concludes our adventure in overclocking kitchen scales.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #28 on: 26 January, 2021, 02:33:07 pm »
Thanks for all your suggestions etc. Bought the Soehnle Page Profil, as recommended by T42 :thumbsup:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soehnle-Page-Profi-Evolution-Kitchen-LCD-Display-Scale-67080-grams-or-oz/264945611036?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Really pleased with it  :)