Author Topic: Cycling in the cold  (Read 2298 times)

Re: Cycling in the cold
« Reply #25 on: 18 January, 2024, 02:11:11 pm »
Pogies for the hands ?  https://www.hotpog.co.uk

Try a different approach for the upper body ?  Alpkit are doing a knock off of the Buffalo stuff.  https://alpkit.com/products/jura-smock-womens     I have something similar lined with Karisma fleece which is a favourite on cold days.  I've never needed more than a base layer underneath. 

Paramo stuff is warm & far more breathable than other types of waterproof.  Sadly expensive,  though my Velez smock is still going strong after 20 years.
Three good points. I had pogies when I used to ride a motorcycle (but we used to call them bar mitts) and they are far more effective than any gloves. I'm not sure they'd work with drop bars, but they've been discussed in various threads.

I'm not convinced that Alpkit is actually Buffalo-alike, but if I remember, I'll go up and take a look on Friday afternoon. If they have it in the shop. And I might even report back.

Paramo is the ultimate in breathability while still being waterproof. Yes, it's expensive, but it lasts, it's made with a nod to not exploiting people, and actually it's no more expensive than any other quality waterproof, such as Gore, Montane or whatever.

I see that Flite has previously raved over the Hot Pog pogies.  https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=121703.msg2680285#msg2680285
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 18 January, 2024, 02:47:29 pm »
I recon those would be worth a go on a USS 'bent.  :thumbsup:  If I had a USS bent.  >:(

« Reply #27 on: 18 January, 2024, 03:00:56 pm »
All the couriers around here have them on their E-bikes.   Sometimes home made with foam & duct tape.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #28 on: 18 January, 2024, 03:15:36 pm »
i became a fair weather cyclist seven years ago, when i got a smart trainer. life is better that way :-) .
Nothing wrong with that (don't beat yourself up about it).

of course nothing wrong with that, on the contrary, i'm happy to have options that cyclists of yesteryear couldn't even dream of. went out in the sunshine today - bliss!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #29 on: 18 January, 2024, 03:48:15 pm »
At 60 I had my first coronary run-in. Stented, and told not to ride if temp < 0°C.

At 68, second coronary hi-jinks.  More stents, told not to cycle in < 5°C

77 since yesterday. Last time I was out, two weeks back, it was 4°C (what's a measly degree, eh?) with wind chill down to about -5°.  I was 'tired' for 4-5 days afterwards. OK now but wondering if my plumbing isn't going to need revisiting every 8 years and this is the year.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #30 on: 18 January, 2024, 04:49:00 pm »
I see that Flite has previously raved over the Hot Pog pogies

Yup, still raving about them at 77 years old with Reynolds Syndrome and arthritis in my hands to make life difficult.
I try to get out on the bike about 3 times a week even if it's just up to the county boundary (at 555m its always a bit chilly up there) and back.
I wear thin fleece mitts as well - keeping fingers together is so much better than gloves.
It is important to keep wrists and ankles warm as well - the blood is very near the surface there.

The HotPogs will be flaunted at Dean's 50k audax in February. I can bring a spare pair if anyone wishes to try them.
Flat bars only - I tried some of a different brand supposed to be for drops, but they caught every breath of wind and made the bike uncontrollable.

Other extremity: recently replaced my totally worn out winter boots for a new pair of Shimano MW70, which I am very pleased with.
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=114079.100
Update:
"They are a little loose around the heel, as expected, but I can compensate for that, otherwise they are absolutely great. Keep my feet warm in temperatures well below zero. I also did an MBO event in torrential rain, and my feet were dry till I had to wade through a flood too deep to risk riding through even though I knew the water would overtop the boots. I rode on for about an hour and a half with wet feet, but they were still warm!"

« Reply #31 on: 18 January, 2024, 06:29:20 pm »
As long as I can keep my upper body and extremities warm I am having no problems with this cold weather. I did have to wear some extra warm socks with the sandals for the first time this winter because of-5 temperatures this morning. I have got 3 wheels so although I have to be careful when braking  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #32 on: 18 January, 2024, 06:33:08 pm »
I realized I'd probably be busy tomorrow afternoon, so I made time today and chilled up to my friendly local Alpkit shop to check out the Buffalo-esque jacket Andrew C mentioned earlier. I was wearing my Buffalo mitts for comparison, and also because they're by far the warmest gloves I have. So, it is a very Buffalo-like top. The face fabric is nylon rather than pertex and the pile is not quite as soft as Buffalo's but perhaps a little longer. The softness probably doesn't matter unless you're wearing it next to the skin, which is what Buffalo recommend, but there's no mention of that on the Alpkit top and it doesn't seem to be cut for it. It is long enough to keep your arse warm but no longer, so probably a good length for cycling, possibly even a bit longer than desirable at the front. Not too long though. And currently £130, so about half the price of genuine Buffalo. Not made in Sheffield, of course.

They also have down jackets in their sale.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #33 on: 25 January, 2024, 12:27:11 pm »
I certainly feel the cold more I used to and, in winter, I pick my days.

I don't go out of I think there's a risk of ice, and I don't do wet and cold together.

A gamechanger for me for riding <5 degrees has been heated insoles. Without them I'd have ice block feet the entire ride, or more likely I would just stay in. I used to think they were a bit of a gimmick, but they're now one of my most valued bits of cycling kit!