Author Topic: DOMS  (Read 5309 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
DOMS
« on: 17 September, 2020, 10:23:17 pm »

Did a hard session in the gym yesterday, and no everything hurts. I got a big case of DOMS.

Does anyone have any good ways for dealing with DOMS? I'd like to be able to stand up without being in agony.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Re: DOMS
« Reply #1 on: 17 September, 2020, 10:25:34 pm »
Do not do a new exercise.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 17 September, 2020, 10:32:51 pm »
Do not do a new exercise.

You say that, but I have to stand up to get from this chair to my bed... and that hurts...

J
--

« Reply #3 on: 18 September, 2020, 07:10:23 am »
Funny answer. Serious answer. I am a gardener. Clipping lawns seems to do me good. Slowly walking behind a mower all day is magic.

« Reply #4 on: 18 September, 2020, 08:38:41 am »
As Hector says, slow movement will help. TBH I'm surprised you have it today, for me it's usually the day after.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 18 September, 2020, 08:49:44 am »
Funny answer. Serious answer. I am a gardener. Clipping lawns seems to do me good. Slowly walking behind a mower all day is magic.

:thumbsup: Likewise: active recovery, lots of varied, (mostly) gentle movement ... A great career move for this slightly arthritic 60+ geri-athlete.

« Reply #6 on: 18 September, 2020, 09:01:40 am »
Swimming works for me. Being in cold/cool water really helps.

If it's DOMS in the arms then I'll do a session with a kick float.

If it's DOMS in the legs I'll do a session with a pull buoy between my legs.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #7 on: 18 September, 2020, 09:44:20 am »
As others say gentle movement involving affected muscles.  Probably something involving increased blood flow and quicker muscle repair. Or it may just repair itself equally fast if you lie on the sofa.  Maybe when moving about you’re just not thinking about it. Distraction therapy.

« Reply #8 on: 18 September, 2020, 09:59:27 am »
Foam rolling after the exercise. Once the DOMS are with you, suffer on.
Swimming is good though.

Saddo1 Fact - I quite like DOMS. It reminds me I am Growing those Muscles and therefore A God.

1: Masochistic, more like.

« Reply #9 on: 21 September, 2020, 02:45:31 pm »

Saddo1 Fact - I quite like DOMS. It reminds me I am Growing those Muscles and therefore A God.

Indeed, No Pain, No Gain.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #10 on: 24 September, 2020, 10:37:51 am »
Funnily enough, I find riding my bike works quite well.  Failing that, going for a walk, however bow-legged or crab-like my progress - getting the blood flowing seems to ease the symptoms.  It is interesting watching people in hotels after events such as PBP or Mille Miglia, walking sideways down stairs...

One of my time trialling friends said that, if he did a '10' or '25' (mile) TT a week after a '600' he always set a good time.  I'm not sure if there is any science behind that, but the weekend after I got back from the Mille Miglia, I set a PB riding down to my caravan and, the next day, a PB for a '25', both of which remain PBs, 10 years later.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 24 September, 2020, 02:05:42 pm »

Today's DOMS is not as bad as last weeks, despite yesterday's workout being 15 minutes longer, and feeling at a harder intensity. Might try going for a walk later, right now the weather is being decidedly Dutch...

Thanks everyone for the comments and ideas.

J
--

« Reply #12 on: 27 September, 2020, 05:41:39 pm »
I think I am too lazy to get DOMS seriously unless I run, which I rarely do (what are wheels for?)

On the turbo I was disappointed that my cadence was 70 avg so for the last 15 minutes of the hour session I decided to stay at 80+ which I managed by dropping a cog and ignoring the burning sensation while I tried to maintain the same power.  It did give me DOMS for a day, on which I cycled 4 miles into town and back, and then the day after that I did an hour on the turbo during which I averaged 81rpm and 8 watts above my previous ride. 

So really the extra effort did me some good, I think..

On tours I have noticed that after week my performance improved considerably.  I usually have a rest day every week when I just potter around.
Move Faster and Bake Things