Author Topic: Football clothing?  (Read 2065 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Football clothing?
« on: 29 August, 2019, 07:15:34 am »
Just seen a clip on the news of a professional football team training - all the usual stuff BUT quite a few of them (blokes) are wearing what looks like a sports bra .... what's that about then?

Rob

Tail End Charlie

Re: Football clothing?
« Reply #1 on: 29 August, 2019, 08:11:37 am »
I think it's something to do with the monitoring kit they wear. That's where all the stats about distance covered, sprints etc come from.

« Reply #2 on: 29 August, 2019, 08:31:17 am »
That's right.  A sophisticated GPS tracking system, possibly with other monitoring (HRM?) in it, that transmits live info, so covers distant run, heat map of position on pitch, etc that is fed back to analysts in the stands.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 29 August, 2019, 08:32:55 am »
That's right.  A sophisticated GPS tracking system, possibly with other monitoring (HRM?) in it, that transmits live info, so covers distant run, heat map of position on pitch, etc that is fed back to analysts in the stands.

Ah - looks as Coleen should be equipping Wayne with one of those to keep tabs on him  ;D

Rob

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #4 on: 29 August, 2019, 03:48:45 pm »

Not allowed to be used during matches IIRC however there's valuable data to be collected in training matches from it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 29 August, 2019, 04:28:22 pm »
So how do they get all the running distance etc stats during matches?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6 on: 29 August, 2019, 05:22:59 pm »
Sometimes during matches you can see a small 'lump' on the player's back between the shoulders.  It is my understanding that there is a pocket in the match jersey where a pod can be placed.

The 'bras' are for constant reuse so all training kit doesn't need the extra pockets.   

Edit:

Approved by FIFA for training and in matches

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 29 August, 2019, 05:30:19 pm »
They are allowed to use them in matches, but they are not allowed to transmit to the coaches etc during the match. Presumably they can record data to download later.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #8 on: 29 August, 2019, 05:55:31 pm »
They are allowed to use them in matches, but they are not allowed to transmit to the coaches etc during the match. Presumably they can record data to download later.

Ah yes that was it.

So how do they get all the running distance etc stats during matches?

Folk in the stand working things out as the match takes place is the classic method.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #9 on: 29 August, 2019, 06:23:49 pm »
Can also use cameras to track where players are running. Could probably do some sort of image recognition, to follow each number automatically, and figure out how far they are running.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 29 August, 2019, 07:11:44 pm »
Do these things use *satellites* (i.e. those used by "normal" GPS systems!) or static transmitters round the ground installed to give better accuracy?

I'm surprised if "normal" GPS is accurate enough to give good data in a sport where movements are highly fractal.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 29 August, 2019, 07:35:26 pm »
I believe there are sensors around the ground.

When the RFU started using it, before the 2003 World Cup, there's a story about one of the players, whose name escapes me, said he had a tightness in his calf and whenever there was a break in play he ran up and down saying he was trying to run the tightness off.

When the match stats came out he was by far the hardest working member of the team...
It is simpler than it looks.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #12 on: 29 August, 2019, 08:22:11 pm »
Seems they do use some sort of "local positioning system". Though not sure how common they are, and are different club's systems compatible with each other?
Yes, GPS could be less accurate, especially in stadiums with tall stands etc.

Presumably using accelerometers as well. That could be more accurate for sudden changes in speed/direction, or how much force the ball is kicked with.

« Reply #13 on: 30 August, 2019, 02:02:57 am »
Presumably using accelerometers as well. That could be more accurate for sudden changes in speed/direction

Particularly useful in awarding bonuses based on acting ability yielding yellow/red cards for opponents, based on ratio of impact force versus player's ability to convince officials that they'd been wronged.

« Reply #14 on: 03 September, 2019, 01:11:18 am »
Not quite the same thing, but technology is infiltrating all levels of the game. My kids football team has just bought this (https://www.veo.co/) to record and analyse their matches!

« Reply #15 on: 03 September, 2019, 08:17:30 am »
Presumably using accelerometers as well. That could be more accurate for sudden changes in speed/direction

Particularly useful in awarding bonuses based on acting ability yielding yellow/red cards for opponents, based on ratio of impact force versus player's ability to convince officials that they'd been wronged.

I don't doubt that many players act up or play as if their CoG is 6' above their head, but in all my years of playing football I'd say that my worst injuries I sustained (in terms of pain) were from the smallest impacts. A well placed tap on the back of the calf or achilles heel with the toe of the boot can be instant agony (and the pain goes quickly); yet a massive swipe in the side of the leg from another player's leg just results in me falling over, getting up and carrying on with little fuss. The magnitude of the impact has little to do with the amount of pain it inflicts.

Modern boots have very hard plastic soles and (obviously hard) studs, plus the upper is made of much thinner material (to help touch and control) than boots of years ago so offer little protection themselves. It's the hard soles that protrude a bit more than the older style boots that cause much of it.

Rugby is far different as there (should be) no boot to body contact in normal play (raking excluded).

Professional footballers are a bunch of cheating pansies is as much a trope as professional cyclists are a bunch of dopers.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16 on: 03 September, 2019, 09:02:45 am »
I wonder if it'll help get a handle on sudden heart attacks in young players.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #17 on: 03 September, 2019, 09:54:42 am »
Doubt it, it's pretty basic technology. You can't really pull anything meaningful out of the type of sensors they use. They're much closer to Garmin type HRM quality than hospital grade ECGs with 5 (?) electrodes.

Even then, when I had my screening[1] thanks to Cardiac Risk in the Young[2] I had a proper ECG and an ultrasound (echocardiogram) to check valve operation and flow. That's not something you can do on a pitch. When the cardiologist discussed the results with me (all good thankfully) I had one concern about a very high HR I sometimes see playing 5-a-side (over 205bpm, usual HRmax is ~190bpm). He offered to fit a Holter monitor for 24h or longer to get a better picture but we decided it wasn't really worth it.

Players like Fabrice Mouamba had all of these types of scans multiple times a year and he still suffered his problems. The scanning that is done does rule quite a few players out each year (mostly for HCM) but it's far from perfect. A simple HRM like the ones the players wear now isn't going to catch anything missed by those scans.

1. https://www.c-r-y.org.uk/screening/
2. Oh to be under 35 again.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #18 on: 03 September, 2019, 10:34:38 am »
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.