Author Topic: Bar bags v Saddle Bags  (Read 13993 times)

Re: Bar bags v Saddle Bags
« Reply #25 on: 26 February, 2024, 09:53:00 am »
I used my bar bag to deliver a rosemary plant on Sunday's audax.  I don't think it would have worked as well stuffed in a saddlebag.  Here it is enjoying the view after 60k:

« Reply #26 on: 26 February, 2024, 10:11:22 am »
I've fitted a small porteur rack to the Black Hallett.  I have a choice of bags to sit on it.  Nothing hangs off the bars and the handling is fine as long as I don't overload the big one.  Coupled with a saddlebag I have enough capacity for a decent tour.  I can add a rear rack & panniers if needed.  But it does depend on having a suitable bike.  You can see the Black Hallett in the back pages of the last Arrivée.

« Reply #27 on: 26 February, 2024, 11:19:28 am »
I've used a the excellent Outer Shell bar bag for a couple of years now (https://outershell.com/shop/handlebar-bag) I just wish it were made here. The main benefit is that it opens away from you when you're in the saddle so considerably less faffing about if you want to get something. They also do one with a clear pocket for maps/route sheet etc. The only downside is that they don't have a UK distributor. There's a good review here https://off.road.cc/content/review/bags/outer-shell-adventure-drawcord-handlebar-bag-1509-review

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 26 February, 2024, 11:25:07 am »
I have one of those ^ too. I like the ease of access from the saddle, the lack of steering effect, the absence of clutter (ie klick fix or similar bracket) when it's removed, and the way it looks. It could do with being a bit better cut in the lid, as it doesn't always cover the top precisely – the lid corners curl up a bit on mine, for some reason. You used to be able to get it from, IIRC, Brick Lane Bikes.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #29 on: 26 February, 2024, 11:46:49 am »
Quick search: https://velotastic.co.uk/product/bikepacking/handlebar-bags/outer-shell-adventure-drawcord-handlebar-bag/

Tis not cheap but does look good.
they have a riders club which costs 15 quid a year, but gives you 10% off. SO makes sense if you want more than one item.
The jersey looks good too https://velotastic.co.uk/product/brands/velotastic/velotastic-routier-merino-short-sleeve-cycling-jersey/

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #30 on: 26 February, 2024, 11:56:34 am »
For me, it's not either/or but both.

I wouldn't be without a bar bag - for all those bits and bobs that you need during the ride or for café stops. Saddle bag gets used for a change (or changes) of clothes with spares and tools stuck in the pockets of the saddlebag.

^^^ this for me, mostly.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #31 on: 26 February, 2024, 12:20:31 pm »
For me, it's not either/or but both.

I wouldn't be without a bar bag - for all those bits and bobs that you need during the ride or for café stops. Saddle bag gets used for a change (or changes) of clothes with spares and tools stuck in the pockets of the saddlebag.

^^^ this for me, mostly.

Yup, ditto.  Also, the eBrute develops shimmy at speed with just a saddlebag - short chainstays.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #32 on: 26 February, 2024, 12:34:31 pm »
For longer events I use a Topeak Mondopack XL (a large under saddle pack, about 2l, I think) with a small Decathlon handlebar bag (the same one in the photo at the top of this page, I believe).
I fitted a KlikFix bracket to the handlebar bag instead of using the original velcro attachments. That keeps the bag clear of my dynamo light and the top horizontal, so I can open it to grab snacks, etc on the move, without anything falling out.
The Decathlon bag is very neat and I don't carry anything heavy, so it doesn't affect the handling, and I was surprised to find  it actually seems to be quite aerodynamic. I have out-freewheeled another rider on tri bars!
That set up did me fine for LEL, and I could grab everything quickly without rooting around in roll top bags.

sam

« Reply #33 on: 26 February, 2024, 12:54:23 pm »
Wouldn't have been without a bar bag in my long distance touring days:

Tl;dw: Brilliant.

Now a saddlebag (technically seatpost bag) does everything for me.

parkysouthlondon

• PBP (11,15,19,23), 1001Miglia (2021), TCRNo8(2022)
    • SWRC FB
« Reply #34 on: 26 February, 2024, 03:25:50 pm »
I've fitted a small porteur rack to the Black Hallett.  I have a choice of bags to sit on it.  Nothing hangs off the bars and the handling is fine as long as I don't overload the big one.  Coupled with a saddlebag I have enough capacity for a decent tour.  I can add a rear rack & panniers if needed.  But it does depend on having a suitable bike.  You can see the Black Hallett in the back pages of the last Arrivée.
Is you front light fixed to the fork or the rack Ian?
South Western Road Club
2024 events    Tour Divide USA

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #35 on: 26 February, 2024, 04:32:24 pm »
Thread necromancy...

The Brits have been saddlebag folk for decades and don't look like changing anytime soon.

A decade later and bar bags are a lot more popular. I still don't like the way they look, the impact on handling, the complication of figuring out lighting, aerobars and bag access, but I also like the idea of easily accessible bits, like sandwiches and a camera. I've tried a couple of bar-bags and never really been satisfied.

Do you see people moving away from saddlebags to bar-bags?

I have both. The line is blurred a bit but having pouches around the stem and not just your classic handlebar bag. I use these for snacks, inhaler, and water bottle. A lot easier to access than in bottle cages on the frame. I have aero bars. And have found that they are a great place to attach bags. I have a 5l bag bungied to the underside of my aero bars. Lighting is not obstructed as that is fitted to the fork crown.

I also have a rear bag. In the form of a tailfin. It's rigid, so doesn't sway like many saddle bags. Holds my spare clothes.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #36 on: 26 February, 2024, 04:46:14 pm »
I’ve never really got on with either saddlebags or bar bags.

I’ve used two types of bar bag. The rigid Carradice rattled and my set-up/shape seem mean I easily got front wheel shimmy.

I’ve been happiest with panniers, either front, rear or both, with stuffs for immediate access in a small left pannier.

I could never eat on the move anyway, nor could I ride no-handed.

I had route sheets on a handlebar map clip.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #37 on: 26 February, 2024, 06:30:50 pm »
Im not a fan of either a traditional saddlebag or handlebar bag for my solo bike used for audaxes. 

I tend to use either

A Super C saddlepack https://carradice.co.uk/products/super-c-saddlepack  (occasionally supplemented with a Lifeline Adventure bag that fits under my top tube) - this was my set up for Saturday's Northallerton 200km when I ate entirely from the food I carried. 

OR

If I need more room I'll use a Tailfin bag.  Rigid light and capacious when required but easily squished down to the size of the contents therein.   

I have used a Carradice barley in the past but nothing I used would secure it firmly enough - their classic saddle bag rack would forever be falling out of one loop or other and when a Bagman wasn't shedding bits it was using up vital millimetres of forward movement in my saddle rails essential for my "long legs - short body" build.  I've had stuff fall out of the side pockets of Carradice bags countless times, they only really hold anything in firmly when full. 

I quite like a handlebar bag on our tandem though - they seem to fit the bill better when the riding is less intense.   

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #38 on: 26 February, 2024, 08:51:20 pm »
I use a B-Twin  bar bag for Audax and a 2006 Carradice (not sure of model it has the side pockets) for touring. Here's my standard touring setup in France last week (on which I did a 200). For Audax I replace the Carradice with a Topeak saddle wedge just for tools and tubes, the bar bag carries a spare tyre showerproof lock and other bits and bobs, I don't ever carry spare food.

and put the mudguards back on!

edit; doesn't look like Carradice make anything like that any more  :'(

« Reply #39 on: 26 February, 2024, 10:49:16 pm »
Is you front light fixed to the fork or the rack Ian?

It was on the fork crown, but now it is attached to the right side of the carrier.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 27 February, 2024, 01:32:48 pm »
I’ve never really got on with either saddlebags or bar bags.

I've never had a bike where fitting a bar bag would be particularly practical due to lights etc, and I tend to do the sort of riding where one would be most useful on recumbents that don't have space for one[1]

I have a small saddlebag somewhere which worked well enough for tools etc, but I eventually concluded that racktop bags were superior in all respects.

[1] I should note that ICE (and likely others) have a widget for mounting a bar bag to the side of a mesh seat, which looks like a nice solution for touring.

« Reply #41 on: 27 February, 2024, 01:48:09 pm »
I think stem cell type bags are very useful, for small stuff you want easy access to. ie food, phone, camera. And they don't get in the way of lights etc.
Or maybe a top tube bag, though they can flop over or rub on my knees, soon gets annoying.

Plus a racktop bag for the bigger stuff.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #42 on: 27 February, 2024, 02:57:31 pm »
After trying a top tube bag I sang falsetto for a week. [Lie, but it hurt.]

« Reply #43 on: 27 February, 2024, 03:03:04 pm »
Ive wanted a proper Rando bag for ages but the practicalities of fitting them (ie. racks or fork mounts being so inconsistent) and the costs of both the rack and a quality bag has put me off. I always thought Carradice would come out with one when they seemed to be getting popular 10 years ago (when this thread started!) but sadly not.

Ive used a Ortlieb bag for a long time and the easy access it brilliant, and ive not had any major issues with shimmy or wobble and could ride hands free. I dont like the mounting tho and the general styling is a bit more 'practical' rather than 'pretty'.

Untitled by Richard Elsdon, on Flickr

Stem cell bags are a fantastic option tho if you wont get knee strike issues, very handy for quick grab items as mentioned above.  Alpkit do one for decent quality and price.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #44 on: 27 February, 2024, 03:23:35 pm »
I used to use a small (child size, I expect) climber's chalk bag looped between stem and bars for snacks. It worked well but having snacks so handy meant I just kept on eating them. And then once I left some chocolate-covered raisins in there for a week or maybe two, and of course they melted. So you need some sort of removable liner if you're going to do that.

« Reply #45 on: 27 February, 2024, 04:07:47 pm »
Ive wanted a proper Rando bag for ages but the practicalities of fitting them (ie. racks or fork mounts being so inconsistent) and the costs of both the rack and a quality bag has put me off. I always thought Carradice would come out with one when they seemed to be getting popular 10 years ago (when this thread started!) but sadly not.

Ive used a Ortlieb bag for a long time and the easy access it brilliant, and ive not had any major issues with shimmy or wobble and could ride hands free. I dont like the mounting tho and the general styling is a bit more 'practical' rather than 'pretty'.

Untitled by Richard Elsdon, on Flickr

Stem cell bags are a fantastic option tho if you wont get knee strike issues, very handy for quick grab items as mentioned above.  Alpkit do one for decent quality and price.

Sorry to go off topic, but………… do you have a red chain?

I have tried a few different options but keep going back to a top tube bag and frame bag, I find this gives me a good amount of space in different areas and keeps the bike well balanced.  My bike has a rack so I often pop in some straps and just strap my additional clothes to the rack in a carrier bag if I need more space. (I found saddle bags flapped about too much).

Tortec ultra lite rack with some Restrap fast straps and a carrier bag = budget tailfin!

« Reply #46 on: 27 February, 2024, 04:47:25 pm »
I see frame bags as akin to saddle bags, useful for sure, and each have a purpose (i have a few!), but not comparable to a handlebar/rando bag.

A bar bag is like being served your meal at a table, everything else is like those restaurants where you were supposed to collect your cutlery when you paid but forgot and now your food is here you need to get up again and go get a fork, just a minor faff, but gets more annoying the longer you have to deal with the faff  ;)

(yes to the red chain, seemed a good idea at the time)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #47 on: 27 February, 2024, 05:12:09 pm »
I have tried a few different options but keep going back to a top tube bag and frame bag, I find this gives me a good amount of space in different areas and keeps the bike well balanced.  My bike has a rack so I often pop in some straps and just strap my additional clothes to the rack in a carrier bag if I need more space. (I found saddle bags flapped about too much).

Tortec ultra lite rack with some Restrap fast straps and a carrier bag = budget tailfin!
How accessible is the frame bag while riding?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #48 on: 27 February, 2024, 05:28:26 pm »
Re HB bags, I love my old Topeak Tourguide, which is lined with looped Velcro-style fabric like a photo bag, so that you can put dividers in it. Although not touted as waterproof the center compartment would keep heavy rain out for a good while.  Mine's 17 years old and looks it.

The model still exists in name, but the current versions are a sad come-down: I wouldn't recommend them.

Are any current HB bags Velcro-lined?

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #49 on: 27 February, 2024, 06:47:59 pm »
Long ago, in the Mercian store in Derby, I first saw a Carradice Barley (in green and honey) on the back of a beautiful steel bicycle. At the time I was new to cycling and thought Cycling Weekly was the source of all wisdom. I had a tiny Topeak saddle pack on my aluminium Trek... and couldn't work out what anyone would put into a saddle bag - but I liked it.

I've never been drawn to other luggage solutions in quite the same way I felt about that Barley - and although I think a bar bag would be so much more convenient, I've never found a solution that works for me.

I now know what goes into a Barley, and what doesn't... and I still absolutely love it.