Author Topic: Vicky  (Read 6677 times)

Vicky
« on: 07 August, 2012, 08:33:50 pm »
Most disappointed to hear that VP did not get her well deserved sprint Gold. We KNOW she is the fastest thing on the track. Some odd judgements but there we are. Many congrats to her and the team.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Vicky
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2012, 08:47:44 pm »
I went off her after the TV documentary.  Too many issues going on there, I thought.  Mind you, looking at the female pole vaulters yesterday night, that was the angriest bunch of women I've seen since the last time Johnny Depp got married.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2012, 09:04:16 pm »
Oh she bottled it after the adverse call :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3 on: 07 August, 2012, 09:54:59 pm »
Most disappointed to hear that VP did not get her well deserved sprint Gold. We KNOW she is the fastest thing on the track. Some odd judgements but there we are. Many congrats to her and the team.

Well deserved? If you don't win you don't get, even if you are apparently the fastest.

In the first race, she clearly went over the line.

In the second, she seemed to give up and didn't really bother to race.

I caught a few seconds of that doc, she seemed a bit too eager to become public property, and came across as desperate for attention.

« Reply #4 on: 07 August, 2012, 10:22:13 pm »

Well deserved? If you don't win you don't get, even if you are apparently the fastest.

In the first race, she clearly went over the line.

In the second, she seemed to give up and didn't really bother to race.

I caught a few seconds of that doc, she seemed a bit too eager to become public property, and came across as desperate for attention.

Perhaps she does have unmet needs for attention (although I wouldn't call them desperate and it's not uncommon in cyclists ime), but considering the documentary portrayed her dad as being pushy, and projecting his own unmet sporting success onto her, it's not entirely surprising. Maybe I'm a bit softer than you, hubner, but I find her quite endearing, and I get the feeling that there's a discrepancy between the way she feels about herself and the way she's had to appear to others.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim KrabbĂ©. Possibly

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 07 August, 2012, 10:30:08 pm »
I warmed to her a lot after the documentary and I was disappointed that she didn't get gold. It seemed pretty harsh to me to relegate her when her line deviated immediately after being shoulder-charged at about 40 mph by someone lots heavier than her. I'm not surprised that Brailsford was livid.

Having lost the first like that, I think it was palpable that VP had had the wind taken out of her sails and I fully expected her to lose the second.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

AndyK

« Reply #6 on: 07 August, 2012, 10:38:42 pm »
It seemed pretty harsh to me to relegate her when her line deviated immediately after being shoulder-charged at about 40 mph by someone lots heavier than her.

This.

On the positive side VP retires honour intact, while Meares will always be known as 'Elbows' Meares.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #7 on: 07 August, 2012, 10:44:08 pm »
+1 to both Wow and Andy's comments.

Justice was not done in that final, but Vicky was far too gracious to say so.

« Reply #8 on: 07 August, 2012, 10:44:45 pm »

« Reply #9 on: 07 August, 2012, 10:46:11 pm »
It's the way the game's played. Maybe the commissaires could have taken that nudge from Meares into account, but who knows how those fuckers work this shit out. Certainly, VP was well outside the sprinter's line.

It was a shame to finish on a bit of a low, and her heart wasn't in it after that, but she's still been an amazing athlete. She always struck me as someone who benefitted from the Brailsford-era coaching, but still a uniquely talented individual who would have had success regardless.

AndyK

« Reply #10 on: 07 August, 2012, 10:50:05 pm »
Apparently it was the same commissaire who DQd previously. Funny how the French questioned TeamGB's kit, 'magic wheels', and it was a French commissaire who twice DQd VP.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #11 on: 07 August, 2012, 10:58:55 pm »
I thought Vicky's wheel were already out of the red line when Anna made contact. Anna is an elbows-out rider, I don't think it was a deliberate elbow as such. Also, there were a lot of relegations at the Worlds in April for sprinters leaving their lanes - Vicky won the world title because of a relegation.

In the second race Vicky seemed to be caught in two minds after Anna slowed it down. Vicky's tactics have always been her weakest point, relying on her pure speed to beat opponents. Maybe if she'd really gone for it that point it would have worked but we'll never know. I also think if she hadn't already won a gold, she would have been mentally stronger in that second ride.

I feel privileged to have watched Vicky race in the prime of her career - she's been fantastic.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #12 on: 07 August, 2012, 11:23:25 pm »
I thought Vicky's wheel were already out of the red line when Anna made contact.

I must admit that's how I saw it when they were playing the first set of replays at the time, and after watching the replay over and over again, pausing it frame by frame, I can't see how there can be any other verdict.
Garry Broad

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #13 on: 07 August, 2012, 11:26:32 pm »
I thought Vicky's wheel were already out of the red line when Anna made contact. Anna is an elbows-out rider, I don't think it was a deliberate elbow as such. Also, there were a lot of relegations at the Worlds in April for sprinters leaving their lanes - Vicky won the world title because of a relegation.

In the second race Vicky seemed to be caught in two minds after Anna slowed it down. Vicky's tactics have always been her weakest point, relying on her pure speed to beat opponents. Maybe if she'd really gone for it that point it would have worked but we'll never know. I also think if she hadn't already won a gold, she would have been mentally stronger in that second ride.

I feel privileged to have watched Vicky race in the prime of her career - she's been fantastic.

Just been watching it (again and again) on I-player and I think Vicky was moving out and drifted from the black and cossed the red line just as they came out of the final bend and before any elbow contact was made. Meares at the time was moving into the straight and did appear to straighten up very sharply but didn't cross the line and didn't seem to do anything wrong. Vicky then drifted over the red line a second time in the home straight. I don't think it was an intentional 'hook' but was outside the rules. Tough decision by the judges but just IMO - that's the nature of the sprint.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #14 on: 08 August, 2012, 12:44:08 am »
Apparently it was the same commissaire who DQd previously. Funny how the French questioned TeamGB's kit, 'magic wheels', and it was a French commissaire who twice DQd VP.

The commissaire at the centre of all these recent decisions (pre-dating the Olympics) is a Vancouver-based South African called Wayne Pomario. Look him up.

« Reply #15 on: 08 August, 2012, 06:12:57 am »
To finish with a gold and a silver, quite a good way to go out imo

« Reply #16 on: 08 August, 2012, 06:55:54 am »

This^ :thumbsup:

« Reply #17 on: 08 August, 2012, 07:16:10 am »
I'm still miffed with her on behalf of Jess V.   Her one chance of a medal snatched away by such an elementary mistake.   Careless.

« Reply #18 on: 08 August, 2012, 08:59:42 am »

This^ :thumbsup:

Absolutely.

Anyone tried contacting her and inviting her on a social ride?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #19 on: 08 August, 2012, 09:15:04 am »
.....and not as 'bitter' in defeat as Gregory Bauge

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20 on: 08 August, 2012, 09:15:38 am »
As I understand it, she doesn't enjoy cycling for the sake of it, just winning. Some racers end up like Anquetil, almost never riding a bike after they retire.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #21 on: 08 August, 2012, 09:23:31 am »

The commissaire at the centre of all these recent decisions (pre-dating the Olympics) is a Vancouver-based South African called Wayne Pomario. Look him up.
At first scan, I read that as 'Lock him up'...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 08 August, 2012, 09:59:42 am »
"Wayne pomario":
based on his looks, and ability to peer intently at computer screens and dash the hopes of plucky Brits - could be a great Bond villain.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #23 on: 08 August, 2012, 10:07:22 am »
I warmed to her a lot after the documentary and I was disappointed that she didn't get gold. It seemed pretty harsh to me to relegate her when her line deviated immediately after being shoulder-charged at about 40 mph by someone lots heavier than her. I'm not surprised that Brailsford was livid.

Having lost the first like that, I think it was palpable that VP had had the wind taken out of her sails and I fully expected her to lose the second.

my thoughts too.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #24 on: 08 August, 2012, 10:09:31 am »
I went off her after the TV documentary.  Too many issues going on there, I thought.

same here