Author Topic: Critique my aero position  (Read 13692 times)

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
Re: Critique my aero position
« Reply #25 on: 16 July, 2008, 02:48:48 pm »
I don't believe the UCI have rules against either of those things.

Oh, come now, they must!  Basket volume and permitted materials (without allowing the use of a fairing disguised as a basket, with carbon-fibre 'baguettes' to act as airflow directors?)! 

This is the UCI we're talking about, after all...

Well if there aren't any rules against it, it must be because none of Graeme Obree's bikes ever had baskets on them...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #26 on: 16 July, 2008, 03:33:32 pm »

Well if there aren't any rules against it, it must be because none of Graeme Obree's bikes ever had baskets on them...
:D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #27 on: 16 July, 2008, 10:07:36 pm »
Better: more of a square angle at the shoulders and elbows, posterior chain better engaged:

But it took blasphemy :)

It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #28 on: 16 July, 2008, 11:19:41 pm »
Looks better Andy! Now lower the front a bit.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #29 on: 16 July, 2008, 11:25:35 pm »
Flipping the seat pin may not let you lower the front of the seat enough. It could be somewhat uncomfortable (to say the least). I have a Profile Designs Fast Forward seatpin. It puts the saddle a wee bit too far forward so I am after a straight through seat pin.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #30 on: 16 July, 2008, 11:27:01 pm »
Seatpin - yes, it's a little beaky, but that's how I like my Brookses and I have well-trained nads that get out the way.  Sumo trick for the TMI win :)

Lower the bars - So my upper arms are more vertical?   We're approaching belly-thigh interference maxima here, but I'll give it a go tomorrow.  T'is past the Fettling Hour now. :thumbsup:
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #31 on: 16 July, 2008, 11:31:07 pm »
Seatpin - yes, it's a little beaky, but that's how I like my Brookses and I have well-trained nads that get out the way.  Sumo trick for the TMI win :)

It's not the nads. it's the perineum. Obviously your seat pin may have more of an angle than mine.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #32 on: 16 July, 2008, 11:34:27 pm »
I don't recall a saddle position in the bike spec (mind you, I was looking for "fixies are okay" and "sure, pennyfarthing, why not?" at the time)

TT on a fixie, madness, sheer madness  ;D ;D

The Aero/comfy balance is personal, I am currently building my old Graham Weigh frame up as a TT bike so I can get a more specific position.
 At present on my Lambert I can get aero but it is uncomfortable and I can't spin fast on it and the saddle won't go further forward without spoiling the bike in my opinion .
  I also intend having the bars slightly higher for more comfort depending on how the saddle position works out.

PS get out there and ride a TT on it and see how it feels.  :thumbsup:
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #33 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:06:01 am »
I don't recall a saddle position in the bike spec (mind you, I was looking for "fixies are okay" and "sure, pennyfarthing, why not?" at the time)

TT on a fixie, madness, sheer madness  ;D ;D

... but we like it!  ;D  :thumbsup:

« Reply #34 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:07:10 am »
Lower the bars - So my upper arms are more vertical?   We're approaching belly-thigh interference maxima here, but I'll give it a go tomorrow.  T'is past the Fettling Hour now. :thumbsup:

Try one spacer at a time and see... I'm still working on this too, but as I get more comfortable on the tri bars, I think I could lower the front.

gonzo

« Reply #35 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:10:03 am »
I should point out that triathletes like their bars positioned very high as a) they have to ride further generally b) they're more interested in comfort than going fast.

PS. Cervelo vs Planet X; there's a reason why you never see planet X kit in wind tunnel tests. It has been designed to look fast rather than actually designed to be fast. The improvement from an aero frame won't be huge, but it still counts.

Blah

« Reply #36 on: 17 July, 2008, 10:03:11 am »
b) they're more interested in comfort than going fast.

You mean that when they get off the bike they can't just vom and generally have a bit of a lie down  ;)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #37 on: 17 July, 2008, 03:41:42 pm »
Well yes we can, but the clock is still running. 

For face-saving, you lurch out of transition, find a bush, and vom in that.   :thumbsup:

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #38 on: 17 July, 2008, 05:14:44 pm »
andy
Don't use the arm rests.  Remove them and rest your forearms on the bars.  Works for me

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #39 on: 17 July, 2008, 05:17:03 pm »
 :o

Death!  Deaaaaaath!

« Reply #40 on: 17 July, 2008, 05:33:45 pm »
andy
Don't use the arm rests.  Remove them and rest your forearms on the bars.  Works for me

The problem I see with this is that you loose your narrow frontal position as your arms will tend to slide sideways. My armrests help keep me compact at the front I feel...

LEE

« Reply #41 on: 17 July, 2008, 06:08:17 pm »
The height is mostly because I have pretty lousy back flexibility and that's as far down as I can get without something going sproing! 

Elsewhere have suggested that the bouncing is 'cos of a too-high saddle. 

Yep, looks like you are stretching to the pedals to me.

whoops, just read all posts.  Way out of date

Blah

« Reply #42 on: 17 July, 2008, 07:10:24 pm »
For face-saving, you lurch out of transition, find a bush, and vom in that.   :thumbsup:

Thanks Andy, useful advice for September :-)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #43 on: 17 July, 2008, 07:16:23 pm »
I plan on using it!  :)

Weird thing: I was approached in our server room by J Random Engineer today.  "Do you do triathlons?" said he, "I recognise your, er, piercings."  Turns out he recognised me from New Forest (we're both doing the middle there in September) and had just had a great time doing IM CH!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #44 on: 02 March, 2010, 11:50:50 am »
I am having highly speculative TT thoughts, so I shall piggyback here rather than start a new topic.

Having done the 24hr thing (and got  fair idea what works over that distance) I quite fancy spending a season* on finding my true, proper-TT bike, no excuses 10/25 PB. Biggest issue is financial. I'm hoping that if I buy a fairly-new low-mileage bling bike it will hold its value after the 1000 (or less) miles I will put on it before selling. So that seems like the simple plan...

However, that will be a lot of money to splash on something with an untested setup. So would it be better to buy something less bling to play with setup? I suspect it takes several hours on a bike with a new position to adapt enough to know-what-you-like ! OR should I just play with one of my normal bikes with various cheap bars etc ...

Thoughts?

[*probably next year, as I'm a bit late to sort everything out properly this year, AND do my planned Audaxes]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #45 on: 02 March, 2010, 02:21:27 pm »
I am having highly speculative TT thoughts, so I shall piggyback here rather than start a new topic.

Having done the 24hr thing (and got  fair idea what works over that distance) I quite fancy spending a season* on finding my true, proper-TT bike, no excuses 10/25 PB. Biggest issue is financial. I'm hoping that if I buy a fairly-new low-mileage bling bike it will hold its value after the 1000 (or less) miles I will put on it before selling. So that seems like the simple plan...

However, that will be a lot of money to splash on something with an untested setup. So would it be better to buy something less bling to play with setup? I suspect it takes several hours on a bike with a new position to adapt enough to know-what-you-like ! OR should I just play with one of my normal bikes with various cheap bars etc ...

Thoughts?

I had similar thoughts. My final conclusion is that I should have a beer (or two) instead and stick to Audax.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #46 on: 02 March, 2010, 03:08:16 pm »
Several hours = a couple of weeks, of short rides at TT intensity.  That deep aero position also uses muscles most upright riders lack (more hams 'n' glutes, less quad) and takes good core strength to hold comfortably and efficiently.

So while I got used to the *position* pretty fast, there was steady conditioning involved in the powerplant. 

God knows what kind of noodle I'll be this year. :-\

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #47 on: 13 May, 2010, 04:23:56 pm »
My turn to stick head over parapet:

Image0007 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This was taken on a bike I have borrowed. Tell me:

- why/how bad my position is, and
- why I will never get a good position with that frame*.

I've ridden a few miles like that, and the only discomfort is the expected arm strain. But I had that when I first used tri-bars before the 24, so I know it gets better very quickly. (I've gone at least a year since riding on arm-rests). No idea how much my power generation is affected.

*which is 653 for steel freaks.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #48 on: 13 May, 2010, 09:19:30 pm »
I think it's this "racing snake" physique.  Or a girdle!

We call it having an 'Aerobelly'...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #49 on: 13 May, 2010, 09:21:29 pm »
I had similar thoughts. My final conclusion is that I should have a beer (or two) instead and stick to Audax.

Was that before or after you bought the Powertap wheel? Lol!