Author Topic: Guardian pop "star" quiz  (Read 2870 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Guardian pop "star" quiz
« Reply #25 on: 14 August, 2019, 08:27:34 pm »
I'm going in. This could be... random.

Edit: 2/15. I don't think I had heard of any of them. And in answer to the question accopanying that score "Did you stop listening to music in 1982?" I think the answer has to be "Fuck off! You don't know what music is!"

;D

I don't know if anyone watched University Challenge on Monday night but it was so funny watching Paxo go ballistic when faced with very stupid answers to the music questions! The students had no clue!

Totally OT but, on the same programme, did anyone notice that the answer to some obscure question about Soviet nuclear power was "tokamak". Anyone here remember him? Nice guy, he bought my Dave Yates audax bike a few years ago.

Real name Erron. I saw a photo of him on that Facebook a week or so ago, riding out with Bobb of the Cool Hair. He was riding a decidedly retro bike, probably very fast. The last time I went for a drink with him he had just been racing against Oaky and poor Oaky was almost dead for the rest of the evening.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ian

« Reply #26 on: 14 August, 2019, 09:34:31 pm »
I got 1, which is sub-random, and that was Jess Gwynne. I have no idea who she is, but I have the power to automatically detect people called Jess. Honestly, I can look out the window and spot any passing Jesses.

Does that make you a big Jessie?  :-D

I managed to get all four of the Jess Gwynne, Anne Marie and the other two women's names I forget questions wrong.   :thumbsup:

7/15 - 6 guesses though I did know who Dua Lipa is.

Meh, course I don't know who they are.  I wonder how all these youngsters would do on a quiz like this in 30 years time (which is about how far I am removed from giving a shit about the current music scene).

I am disappointed to learn that Jess Glynne is in fact a Jessica, or a faux-Jess. Actually Googling those opened a doorway to lots of people who are both famous and I've never heard of. Jax Jones? Jax? When did that start being a name (didn't we do Jaxon a while a back). Marvellous, I'm old and very pleased about it.

I can spot proper Jesses though. OK I did it once. And sort of. Many, many years ago (in a galaxy far, far away), I may have met a young lady of multifarious charms whose name I neglected to obtain at the pertinent moment and later, when when it became expedient for me not just to know her name, but actually use it, I realised the dangerous breadth of the lacuna and the fact it was far too late to attempt to fill it by asking. Scrambling around in my head and realising there are a lot of women's names and only one of them would actually work and any other would likely entail a grisly and not entirely undeserved fate, the word Jess simply popped into focus. No one was more surprised than me that it was her actual name. It was possible, I suppose, that she'd mentioned it and it had somehow become lost in the rumpled bedclothes of my mind, or maybe at that very moment a benevolent deity chose to look favourably upon me and gifted me her name. If so, I imagine it pretty miffed by my ingratitude. Still, a miffed deity is unlikely to smite you, more likely arrange an eternity of mild inconveniences. It's quite possible I'm living that eternity and that deity was named Jess too.

Jess is also, if you've been paying attention, the name of South London's most notable undead, occasional blood-binging librarian, though this is unrelated.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #27 on: 15 August, 2019, 09:48:32 am »
Sounds like it's your lucky name.  May the Jess be with you always  :thumbsup:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #28 on: 16 August, 2019, 01:53:09 pm »
I got 10/15. This is probably a fair reflection of my knowledge of popular youth culture. I do try to keep abreast, though it's worth noting that recognition doesn't imply endorsement.

Mabel I recognised mainly because she looks like her mum (Neneh Cherry).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #29 on: 16 August, 2019, 02:00:59 pm »
I got 7, though most of that was wild-assed guessing, and getting Peter Capaldi's lad right at the second attempt, having got him and the ginger bearded guy in a woolly hat confused (and those two were only recognisable to me because I had happened to switch on the TV to check the news on the text service on the days when the breakfast program was interviewing them).
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche