Author Topic: Liverpool  (Read 31515 times)

Re: Liverpool
« Reply #200 on: 09 June, 2024, 06:08:51 pm »

Alan Hansen seriously ill

Doesn’t sound very hopeful :(

Former Liverpool and Scotland centre-back Alan Hansen, 68, is "seriously ill".
The Anfield club announced their "legendary" former captain is in hospital on Sunday.
"The thoughts and support of everyone at Liverpool FC are with our legendary former captain Alan Hansen, who is currently seriously ill in hospital," a statement read.
Hansen won promotion to the Scottish Premier Division with Partick Thistle before joining Liverpool in 1977 for the start of a successful 14-year spell.
Sheldon Brown never said leave it to the professionals.

« Reply #201 on: 09 June, 2024, 09:11:50 pm »
A little spiteful of the BBC journalist to put legendary in quotes.  Hansen has won more trophies than practically anyone on the planet and is also the creator of the greatest pundit-gaffe so far.  Credit where it is due and I hope he recovers.

« Reply #202 on: 10 June, 2024, 07:15:17 am »
A little spiteful of the BBC journalist to put legendary in quotes.  Hanson has won more trophies than practically anyone on the planet and is also the creator of the greatest pundit-gaffe so far.  Credit where it is due and I hope he recovers.

Inept journalism.  Quoting the club announcement properly would have been much better.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/lfc-sends-support-alan-hansen

He is part of a great era in British football, or football in general. I hope he recovers.

« Reply #203 on: 10 June, 2024, 09:52:52 am »
On the theme of inept journalism, I apologise for my misspelling of his name in my original message.  Will climb down from my petard now!

« Reply #204 on: 11 June, 2024, 09:01:19 am »
I was listening to an LFC fan podcast earlier and they were marvelling at his lack of Scotland caps. It's insane - he has 26 caps, and if you include charity shields, 26 medals (including 8 leagues, 3 european cups, 2 FA cups and 4 league cups).
He was astonishingly durable as well - 706 games in his career, including 4 seasons of 60 or more! What a football player.

« Reply #205 on: 11 June, 2024, 09:41:07 am »
Duncan, I wondered about his Scotland caps.  It seems he used to withdraw from squads pretty often.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #206 on: 11 June, 2024, 11:19:26 am »
Alex Ferguson dropped him from the squad for the 1986 World Cup because of his lack of commitment to the national team - he'd missed a game against England in the run up to the tournament with a "knee injury". Kind of ironic given how many players missed international games with convenient injuries during Fergie's time as United manager.

The 1982 World Cup was the only major international tournament he played in.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #207 on: 14 June, 2024, 06:22:12 pm »
The Aberdeen Miller & McLeish pairing at centre back (that had won the ECWC in 1983 and multiple other domestic gongs) was seen as preferable to pairing either with Hansen. 

The dogs dinner between Miller & Hansen for the 2nd USSR goal in the 82 world cup kind of proved the point.

I used to play semi pro with a guy whose claim to fame was that he kept Hansen out of the Sauchie Juniors team and refused to believe that he was good enough even for Partick Thistle.  Though said individual did end up driving a taxi in Falkirk. 

« Reply #208 on: 14 June, 2024, 06:37:06 pm »
Did he actually know he was in Falkirk?

« Reply #209 on: 23 June, 2024, 07:26:15 pm »
Hansen leaves hospital to continue recovery at home. :thumbsup: