Author Topic: Online storage options  (Read 936 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Online storage options
« on: 23 May, 2024, 09:44:01 am »
I have a free Google account, which has 15GB of storage.  This is mostly used for my Google photos - work stream is take pics on DSLR, archive/catalogue/tweak on a Ubuntu box at home. Select the least worst and publish to Google Photos as an album, share link to album with friends and family.  The photos on my Ubuntu box get automagically archived to a separate drive also at home.

The Google storage is now 97% full.  A largeish chunk is taken up by a project I did (and almost completed) during lockdown of copying many many 35mm slides taken by my Dad.

Options I'm considering:
1. Pay for more storage from Google. They're offering 100GB for £1.59 / month, with the first month at £0.39
2. Delete the 35mm slide project. It will still be accessible from my Ubuntu box when I'm at home
3. Getting another free Google account and using the 15GB from that.

2 will just kick the problem down the road for a bit
Is 3 possible? 
What other options are there? Free/cheap would be good.
I've got a free Flickr account but rarely use it. The limit of 50 private photos is a bit rubbish.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Online storage options
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2024, 11:06:36 am »
3 seems possible, or at least worth a try using a throwaway e-mail address from, er, Google.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2024, 12:00:30 pm »
I went for option 1 on the grounds that I'm already fairly tied into Google, and it was worth £16 a year to not have to think about it.

« Reply #3 on: 31 May, 2024, 07:07:14 am »
I went for option 1 on the grounds that I'm already fairly tied into Google, and it was worth £16 a year to not have to think about it.
That was my lazy solution too.
To be fair, it's seamless.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 31 May, 2024, 01:36:15 pm »
What other options are there? Free/cheap would be good.

Cheap is relative, but storage-oriented[1] Virtual Private Servers are a thing.  Spin up one with your Linux of choice, and SFTP/rsync/borg/whatever your stuff to it.  Less hassle than a Raspberry Pi at your mother-in-law's, but doesn't mean selling out to The Man.  And you can run computer programs on it, which is sometimes useful.

I pay €5/month for 1TB

[1] Lots of (likely spinning-rust) disk, underwhelming CPU/RAM.  Ideal for offsite backups.