Author Topic: Midge-proofing a bell tent  (Read 517 times)

Midge-proofing a bell tent
« on: 18 June, 2024, 11:55:17 am »
Mrs C has a classic bell tent; the small one, like Clarion and Butterfly use.

I'd love to resurrect it, but camping season here is also midge season. Tent only has tie-across flaps.

Has anyone successfully midge-proofed one of these tents? Googling just brings up lists of midge nets.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Midge-proofing a bell tent
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2024, 12:27:56 pm »
This weekend's camping trip[1] suggests that the best way to control midges is to use a sacrificial anode...

*scratches*

Seriously, it's hard enough to keep them out of a double-skin tent with proper zips, I can't imagine how you'd midge-proof a bell tent without effectively creating an inner compartment.

[1] In which Nye and I performed SCIENCE and determined that the midges really were following me around like my own personal raincloud.

« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2024, 12:35:02 pm »
Would an inner be an option? I've got one for my bell tent. It will help with the midges although I think it detracts slightly from the open space a bell tent provides

« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2024, 12:40:35 pm »
You can get mosquito nets designed to be hung from a hook and drape wide over a bed.  They might actually work quite well.

« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2024, 01:04:12 pm »
You can get mosquito nets designed to be hung from a hook and drape wide over a bed.  They might actually work quite well.

Not against midges. You need a midge-proof inner.

« Reply #5 on: 18 June, 2024, 03:01:10 pm »
I made an inner for a Hex tent, though that's a simpler shape than a bell, if it's the sort of bell with part vertical walls, it's going to be hard to get an inner to follow that and not eat into your space.  I used midge netting for the front panels and lightweight polyester for the others with a ripstop floor.  I just used the tent as a pattern, floor tensioned out to the same pegs as the tent and tied to the pole at the apex, the rest drooped.  I think it would be difficult to keep it taut. The mesh is a bit of a pain to sew, it easily gets chewed up, I ended up sandwiching it with some bunting tape I had laying around, should have done that it the first place :facepalm:
If I were to make another, I think I'd make the complete thing in fabric, then add mesh panels. Which might also make it easier to keep under tension. I'd also think harder about the opening, I put a zip in the middle of the front panel, where the tension is least, opening it was a two hand job.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #6 on: 18 June, 2024, 03:41:21 pm »
Midges come up out of the ground. You need a completely contiguous inner.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #7 on: 19 June, 2024, 08:17:19 pm »
https://belltentsussex.co.uk/collections/inner-tents/products/5-metre-bell-tent-inner-tent

That's what we have, didn't realise was that expensive but was a present. It does keep bugs out and make the tent warmer but I think detracts from the open and airy tent