Author Topic: 4G for house broadband connection  (Read 1308 times)

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
4G for house broadband connection
« on: 18 June, 2024, 07:20:31 pm »
I'm soon to move to a new house. It's in the countryside and there is no data cable of any sort to the house (or in the road). I'm planning on using 4G for my house broadband but I'm a bit bamboozled by the range of external aerials and 4G routers. Can anyone recommend a good website for buying this kind of stuff? Or recommend a make/model?
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: 4G for house broadband connection
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2024, 08:25:49 pm »
(complete aside, but moving, again?)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

valkyrie

• West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2024, 08:39:06 pm »
(complete aside, but moving, again?)

Staying in Moray, just going a bit more rural, near Aberlour.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2024, 08:39:26 pm »
No, I've no knowledge but Mobile Internet does have a reputation for evening slow-downs due to congestion on the backhaul links.
Have you checked if there's decent 4/5G coverage at the site?

Considered Starlink?

valkyrie

• West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2024, 06:32:19 pm »
There's pretty weak 4G at the house, that's why I'm looking at a setup with an external aerial. Starlink would be nice but it's brutally expensive (circa £150/month) if you want an unlimited high-speed connection.

According to the hopelessly vague Scottish Government website the house should get fibre to the house under the R100 scheme for rural properties within the next couple of years.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2024, 07:10:31 pm »
I have a Teltonika TRB140 which I'm quietly pleased with.  Unintuitive to configure, but plenty of functionality[1], and once set up it seems to stay working.  It's got a single wired Ethernet port on the LAN side thobut, so isn't a consumer 'WiFi inna box' solution.  Lack of 5G is becoming conspicuous with age, but not to the point that matters for us (it's only used for a backup connection in case the fibre line goes down, so anything more than a megabit is ample).

[1] I'm using it as a modem in bridge mode, as a low-nonsense alternative to arsing about with USB dongles.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6 on: 19 June, 2024, 09:17:23 pm »
I know of at least 2 people who use 4G for their internet.
Neither of them I would ask the technical details of.

I used a borrowed 4G modem/router off a mate when the bus took out the village internet, his sim was on EE IIRC, and got a good speed, when I tried tethering to my phone on O2 the speed was dire.

That modem was a beige box about the size of a normal router with aerials on it,
I've see the 2 above peoples aerials and I would suspect they're considerably better at picking up a cell tower than that or a phone.

manyrivers

« Reply #7 on: 20 June, 2024, 05:57:06 pm »
Ive used a TP-Link MR6400 for years. Does it's job quietly and reliably (touching wood) WiFi plus 4 ports. I flashed OpenWRT on it (because, well, you do don't you) but it wasn't necessary.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #8 on: 21 June, 2024, 11:19:43 am »
There's pretty weak 4G at the house, that's why I'm looking at a setup with an external aerial. Starlink would be nice but it's brutally expensive (circa £150/month) if you want an unlimited high-speed connection.

According to the hopelessly vague Scottish Government website the house should get fibre to the house under the R100 scheme for rural properties within the next couple of years.

£150 a month seems steep compared to the Residential plan on their site @ £75
https://www.starlink.com/gb/service-plans

Still expensive, I agree. I'd try 4G first, for sure.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #9 on: 21 June, 2024, 11:24:57 am »
I used a TP-link 4G router for most of the pandemic, in Cambridge fens.

Very, very weak signal, most phones wouldn't even receive texts, go outside for a call.

With the router, I could get a reliable 3Mb.

Key is using a router with external antenna, and put them at 90 degrees to each other (it usually says this in the box.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 21 June, 2024, 11:48:07 am »
We used 3 (stupid company name) 4G for about 18 months. When it was working well we got about 40 Mbps out of it but sometimes, when there was maintenance taking place, it was rubbish. We are in urban Southend so with mostly a pretty strong signal. Occasionally I used to resort to the 5G on my EE phone which was quite a bit faster.

I seem to recall that Flatus had a 5G domestic router and was very pleased with it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #11 on: 21 June, 2024, 01:00:33 pm »
Something I have noticed is that the 5G on O2 in Dundee is fantastic, while the 5G on O2 in Edinburgh is diabolical.
My suspected cause is more users per infrastructure capacity unit.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #12 on: 21 June, 2024, 03:26:34 pm »
I find EE 4G to be excellent and you can get up to 100Mb/s but 5G is a mess, especially when moving between towers.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #13 on: 26 June, 2024, 10:21:06 pm »
Solwise have good stock range and pricing. Their website leads you logically through the options, with helpful guides and clear  destructions.

I  recommended a telonicaRUT200 (with wi-fi) to a friend, very impressed with quality right down to the power supply*.
It was quite intuitive to do a basic set up** but if you want to play with Vpns, remote management etc, etc it does it all. Other nice thing was a clear and responsive web interface.
£100 is IMO good vfm, especially as the OP will be using it as primary interwebby  connection.
If you need a particular location for mobile reception I would first recommend a long bit of cat 5 and POE before trying external antennas.

*The "wall wart" is often the first failure. telonica one even had a latching connector rather than the usual co-axial barrel

**Kim, mine was the recent past. Maybe some improvements to later  models?

https://www.solwise.co.uk/4G-RUT200

The RUT200 is a 4G LTE Cat4 router, featuring two Ethernet ports, two mobile antenna connectors and a WiFi antenna connector. With its compact size and robust design, this router is designed to excel as a mission-critical internet provider in industrial environments such as factories, vehicles and remote machines.

As a Cat4 router, the RUT200 is capable of achieving mobile speeds of up to 150Mbps which it can then provide via WiFi access or via Ethernet connections depending on the needs of the user. It boasts an IP rating of IP30 and an operating temperature ranging from -40°C to 75°C.

The RUT200 can be powered via PoE (Power over Ethernet), taking any passive PoE input ranging from 9v to 30v DC via the LAN1 port with cable lengths of up to about 40 metres. This can be ideal for installations where the router needs to be a fair distance away from any standard power socket

« Reply #14 on: 27 June, 2024, 02:31:49 pm »
Just to be clear, when I said 'external antennas', I meant ones on the outside of the casing. such as a TP-Link MR6400

Not antennas on the outside of your house.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

manyrivers

« Reply #15 on: 27 June, 2024, 07:07:08 pm »
Just to be clear, when I said 'external antennas', I meant ones on the outside of the casing. such as a TP-Link MR6400

If i recall correctly, the antennas on the later versions of the MR6400 can re replaced with beefier/outdoor external ones if needed. Mine's a v1 so i don't have that option, not that I need it. The local mast has just been 5g enabled but I'm happy with what I have (particularly given tbe cost of 5g modem/routers and reported issues etc, it it ain't broke etc)