Author Topic: Today I am Listening To...  (Read 832917 times)

Re: Today I am Listening To...
« Reply #5875 on: 01 June, 2024, 12:21:16 pm »
Pixies cover album.

Lovin both Ella Fitzgerald and the butthole surfers.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5876 on: 01 June, 2024, 02:20:23 pm »
I prefer the Alchemy version of nearly all Dire Straits songs.  He puts about twice as many notes in when playing live!

Yeah, but I've got even less chance of learning to play those.

He has the utter genius of taking fairly straightforward seeming progressions and then turning them inside out. I have no idea how his fingers move that fast on the alchemy version of Sultans of Swing.

That is one band I would have loved to see live
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5877 on: 01 June, 2024, 08:21:21 pm »
Me 3. The video of Sultans on Alchemy is regularly watched here. I still can't believe they make it all the way through at that pace.

« Reply #5878 on: 01 June, 2024, 08:44:41 pm »
I prefer the Alchemy version of nearly all Dire Straits songs.  He puts about twice as many notes in when playing live!

Yeah, but I've got even less chance of learning to play those.

He has the utter genius of taking fairly straightforward seeming progressions and then turning them inside out. I have no idea how his fingers move that fast on the alchemy version of Sultans of Swing.

You should make a point of going to see Mr Spankey and the Hipthrusters (regularly at pubs in Essex). Their lead guitarist ("The Reverend") Kenneth Petrie always does a good version of some Dire Straits songs in their set. He has appeared on Britains Got Talent and totally blew them away. Tell them Jef Ott sent you!

I never liked pub bands, but they crushed my perception of what pub bands were. I have now seen them more than 50 times.

Today however, I was listening to ABACAB and Invisible Touch.  Whilst many Genesis fans are blinkered when it comes to post Hackett Genesis, I am not. I love each and every one of their albums, with Phil Collins in, equally.
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5879 on: 02 June, 2024, 12:03:03 am »

:smug: At the late lamented Rainbow in Finsbury Park just before Christmas 1979.  Crimbo pressie from Not-yet-Professor Larrington.  Then we had a party on the train home courtesy of a jolly squaddie laden with champagne!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5880 on: 02 June, 2024, 05:40:28 am »

:smug: At the late lamented Rainbow in Finsbury Park just before Christmas 1979.  Crimbo pressie from Not-yet-Professor Larrington.  Then we had a party on the train home courtesy of a jolly squaddie laden with champagne!

I also have a late 70s/early 80s live recording of them playing mostly the Dire Straits album, only time I've heard Southbound Again live.

I have a similar compilation of early Justin Hayward era Moody Blues live stats at the beeb, again another band I'd love to have seen live
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens