Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 479443 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2550 on: 10 June, 2024, 01:49:03 pm »
Just finished a 30 min tempo session. 7min, 6,4,3 with 1min and 2 minute recoveries.

I managed to maintain the same pace through all the sessions with HR peaking at 156 by the ned of the last 3 sessions.

I don't know if that is how I should have done them but it was a good workout!

Now I just need to decide if the legs can cope with a 1 hour bike commute in each direction.

Sounds great - that kind of session will do the power of good for your parkrun times!

My wife has been pounding our treadmill three times a week since last December and is approaching the kind of 5k times she set in parkruns 10 years ago, though she's yet to take her new-found running fitness back outdoors.

« Reply #2551 on: 10 June, 2024, 04:12:58 pm »
though she's yet to take her new-found running fitness back outdoors.

I found after a 1 year lay-off running (various medical things) I started on the treadmill & built up duration/speed gradually till I was doing solid 1-hour sessions.  The first run outdoors, however, my legs really felt it the next day.  Only 30 minutes but running on the road made a big difference.  Glad to say I'm acclimatised now and the outdoor runs are much more pleasant than sweating away indoors.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #2552 on: 10 June, 2024, 05:06:49 pm »
I joined six members of my former running club to do a George Fisher Tea Round in the Lake District on Saturday.  I’d signed up for it back in January but, typically, had failed to do any long runs in preparation, life seemingly always getting in the way.  My longest run had been a single 11-mile run on at-most undulating roads, not ideal training for 30 miles of exceptionally hilly off-road, including 10 fell summits.

There was a bit of an ability range in the group, and we decided to split up after the first two hills, where the faster climbers (myself included) had waited at or close to the summits for us all to regroup.  I was cautious not to push too hard and risk blowing up, but equally, I didn’t want to be lagging behind from the get-go, since everyone knew I had had by far the least fell-running experience and preparation.

In the end, three of us seven got round the full route - I dug deep into my reserves of bloody-mindedness to keep at it for a finishing time of 10:33:10 (which seems slow, but is quite respectable since very little of the course is runnable).  I had a couple of tumbles coming down Robinson, so I’m feeling a bit bruised as well as having a healthy dose of DOMS.  I’m already past the ‘never again’ phase and wondering how much faster I’d be able to do it - Luke, with whom I finished, had done it in 8:44 before.

https://strava.app.link/JPaNaSiPjKb

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2553 on: 10 June, 2024, 09:25:33 pm »
You did 18km more than what I'm hoping I could do in that time. So bloody well done ;)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #2554 on: 11 June, 2024, 09:49:57 pm »
Went out yesterday, had to get chicken food so left car in csrpark of farm shop and ran from there which saved about 5km of dull either way from home

Went mostly off road, as have a good knowledge of area couldn't get too lost so if i saw a footpath I took it. Mostly massively overgrown. Stung as high as shoulder and instead of a tan line had a red line where shorts have reduced stings and irritating grass. Wasn't helped by everything being soaked.
Ended up a nice 10km loop but think will leave for a while as overgrown is only going to get worse

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2555 on: 12 June, 2024, 02:56:08 pm »
Order a big and heavy machete from Amazon and run Indiana style the route again. Not only do you get an extra workout and you will make other users happy, a win-win ;)

« Reply #2556 on: 13 June, 2024, 11:44:56 am »
I'm managing 2-3 runs a week. Keeping them slow, and no more than 4km.

Seems hard work, compared to memory of running from 2 years ago. Not sure how much of that is lack of fitness; while I can paddle for a couple of hours, that paddling isn't at high stress levels (well, not for the whole 2 hours). Nothing is flat around, so it is hard to get a measure.

Still, initially 'school hill' required at least one stop and walk, now I get to the top with some gas in the tank (kWh in the battery?).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2557 on: 13 June, 2024, 12:15:26 pm »
I am certainly finding the running harder than during the pandemic but i am a stone heavier.  I am currently doing a 2 run 2 ride training plan for 8 weeks plus an extra long run per week.

My parkrun time was 31:29.  This was on the basis of doing the first lap at 135bpm HR then upto 145 for the secondlap and 150-160 for the last lap.  Seemed to work.  I have set myself a target of getting the parkrun down to 25 minutes by the end of the summer which I think will be a very real stretch but possibly achievable.

I have a couple of flattish fields nearby so am fortunate in that I can do my one set (so far) of interval training on a field and protect my knees. 

I am finding the mixture of turbo training and outdoor run training enjoyable currently.  I am still using peloton for my turbo.  I find the mix of music and a trainer's voice very effective.

« Reply #2558 on: 13 June, 2024, 01:24:01 pm »
Weight is very definitely a factor, more of a factor in running than in kayaking.

Start of pandemic weight (when I was doing 10km in 50m on the flat): 72kg
Current weight: 85kg
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2559 on: 14 June, 2024, 11:48:21 am »
Order a big and heavy machete from Amazon and run Indiana style the route again. Not only do you get an extra workout and you will make other users happy, a win-win ;)

I'm more used to chasing people with those tucked down trousers

Didn't have a lot of time today between chores and after my strava failed to record a fast run a few weeks back thought I'd go and see how quick could do a 5km. Probably didn't choose the fastest route but happy with 4:22 per km for 5km. Reckon can get that down on a better route as 4:40 first km as uphill and into wind

« Reply #2560 on: 14 June, 2024, 02:25:11 pm »

I'm more used to chasing people with those tucked down trousers

Thought you said they couldn't run if they went past the knee!

« Reply #2561 on: 14 June, 2024, 05:38:50 pm »
Cheeky git, but yes technically the guy I was involved in finding a big knife on didn't run off his mates did

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2562 on: 14 June, 2024, 08:35:18 pm »
I have no idea what 'tucked down trousers' means!
I've tried to visualise it in many ways, but nope, no idea!

Anyways, I went to do a known route, the 15k 'Illuminator' night run, but it was blocked by forestry works. So had to just Make It Up As You Go Along, getting 10k in the pissing rain...

https://www.strava.com/activities/11650856955

« Reply #2563 on: 16 June, 2024, 01:45:06 am »
I have no idea what 'tucked down trousers' means!

I fear that's incomplete - in this context, a large knife concealed inside one's lower garments ...

« Reply #2564 on: 16 June, 2024, 07:19:30 pm »
Managing about 2 runs per week now, without leg soreness.

Ride with gps says that it is 4.2km, with 66m of up and down. Feels like a lot more than that! Short, punchy hills.

Feel like I can't manage further than that. Guess I'll have to be patient.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2565 on: 16 June, 2024, 07:55:32 pm »
Shorter and slower runs the last two days. Running on Utah beach got you thinking about what happened there 80 years ago and what caused it. And the mutt loves a Run'n'Sniff on a beach.

Good news is that when I started this running malarkey back in January. I had a big goal of being able to run 10 km by my birthday. But I beat that goal by a few months and even more kms. Longest run was about 2 months ago and 15km. So I could take it easy on my birthday.

Though I need another target, still eyeing up that DIY 3 Peaks of 30km in 9 hours. But yet to run past 3 hours yet.

Since we got the new mutt, we have to both run at least combined 10km a day or else she doesn't turn off. Even if I do all the kms she looks like she could easily take on another 5km+.

At least that keeps us going and fit while we enjoy French baked goods.

« Reply #2566 on: 27 June, 2024, 10:33:58 am »
My usual running and riding partner is currently off work so after a ride yesterday he messaged saying did I fancy a run this morning. Honestly I didn't really as think pushed a bit hard in heat yesterday but haven't managed a run for a few weeks so said yes let's go as early as can which for me means after school run

By eck was hard. Did have to tell him to slow down at start but he had run to mine so warmed up and whereas I consider myself a decent enough runner he is several levels above me

Even with slowing was still really hard. Was warm but I've run in hotter. He wad aiming for around 10km so ended up doing around 8.5 km for me and turned out to be a decent pace.  Was bright red when got home and the cold shower was bliss

Just need to pop and get some more of the little electrolyte tablets as have run out and tend to take them when have sweated lots

« Reply #2567 on: 27 June, 2024, 01:18:05 pm »
I haven't formally 'run' for a couple of weeks, but have been getting the peats in on 3 nights.

This involves a dog trot in wellies down a stony track, then a sclep back up (walking) with 20kg of peat in a sack on my shoulders. Rinse and repeat until I have 7 sacks in the car, which amounts to about 7km on foot.

Achilles tendon a bit sore, so not doing it tonight.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2568 on: 27 June, 2024, 02:24:57 pm »
After a month and a big of running in flat France, along canals, fields of un-bottled wine and beaches. I'm now running on moors, boy are my legs moaning about the up and down :)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2569 on: 28 June, 2024, 01:51:51 pm »
Well this running malarkey do cause weight loss.

Some time last year I was 110kg and it did go up as I was enjoying life and didn't do much.

Stated running in Jan and I just stepped on a scale and clocked in at 96kg.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2570 on: 28 June, 2024, 05:06:29 pm »
Went out for a run around the local hill Bennachie today. Took a slightly different route, which meant a bit of a flog along a flat track at the end. This goes through a farm, so a bypass path has been provided to keep people out of the farm itself. I accidentally missed the turn, and got shouted at! I was on a track, not in a field in the middle of his crops!

"Gusty wind on the top was sending ripples through the glistening white patches of bog-cotton. I notice they have fixed the orientation toposcope on top of Oxen Craig, which was about 30 degrees off. It's now pointing the correct way!

I got shouted at by the farmer at Horndoyne, because I was away with the faeires and missed the turn onto the farm bypass path. I'd gone about 50 metres up the farm track before realising my mistake and correcting it. 'Sorry,', said I, 'I missed the turn!' That did not placate him and he was shouting after me about why was I on the farm track and GERROF MOI LAAND etc. Miserable git! May your chooks stop laying and your cows run dry."

https://www.strava.com/activities/11759430588

« Reply #2571 on: 28 June, 2024, 05:27:28 pm »
I've never run as an adult, now I'm in late 40's I've decided it'd be good cross training...

So, I've started the NHS couch to 5k thingy & today progressed to week3  :)  I'm m not sure it really counts as running yet - but building up slowly and so far quite enjoying it.  I'm not really sure what my pace is yet (it's at most 3mins run, 3mins walk at the moment).

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2572 on: 28 June, 2024, 06:02:38 pm »
Feanor I've done plenty of detours lately because of livestock. But yet been told to bugger off.

Well done Bobby.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2573 on: 29 June, 2024, 09:22:24 pm »
Feanor I've done plenty of detours lately because of livestock. But yet been told to bugger off.

Well done Bobby.
On today's run while going VERY much off route because of livestock in the field that I was due to cross diagonally. I got a big hello from a farmer on his tractor on the other side of the drystone wall.

« Reply #2574 on: 30 June, 2024, 02:00:33 pm »
Lovely run yesterday. Endurance run for 75 minutes @7:25/km. maintained perfectly even up the inclines. Very happy