Author Topic: 'Artisan' coffee shops  (Read 1732 times)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
Re: 'Artisan' coffee shops
« Reply #1 on: 16 January, 2013, 11:41:37 am »
Very good.
Personally I do prefer dickheads to corporates for my flat white - but I think this might be an interesting survey among Yacfers if you felt inclined to format it so.  I would expect we massively favour dickhead coffee as cycling is pretty core to dickhead culture, but there's a possibility I could be wrong.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2024, 11:45:57 am »
From a novel*:
Our waiter, a Nordic type with a bony brow, appeared at the table and Parisa ordered a flat white. I had no idea what that was but ordered the same. "Extra flat," I specified.

*The Dimensions of a Cave, by Greg Jackson
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 03 June, 2024, 11:51:38 am »
"Easy on the flat" or "flat side up" would have worked well, I think!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 03 June, 2024, 12:11:22 pm »
"Easy on the flat" or "flat side up" would have worked well, I think!
"Flat side up" is hilarious and I intend to use this next time I order a coffee!  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6 on: 03 June, 2024, 12:12:48 pm »
See if they do fried egg on toast and you can use it twice!

« Reply #7 on: 03 June, 2024, 01:37:23 pm »
“My favourite cafe is called ‘Le Pouton’s Coffeeorium’. It’s got a penny farthing in it, iPod playlists on the backs of the menus and the slogan ‘a passion for beans’ is written on the walls.

Poor effort by the daily mash

A high percentage of independent coffee shops exactly match that description.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #8 on: 03 June, 2024, 05:59:15 pm »
I will not spend anything in the corporate brand coffee shops - my (infrequent*) custom tends to be at a coffee shop that I would generously describe as being "dickhead-lite" - having some of the dickhead traits but a few redeeming features.

* 'cos I have a spangly espresso machine like wot they have in coffee shops, at home.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 03 June, 2024, 06:20:26 pm »
I will not spend anything in the corporate brand coffee shops - my (infrequent*) custom tends to be at a coffee shop that I would generously describe as being "dickhead-lite" - having some of the dickhead traits but a few redeeming features.

* 'cos I have a spangly espresso machine like wot they have in coffee shops, at home.
But doesn't that make you a dickhead who has purchased expensive consumables from bastards?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #10 on: 03 June, 2024, 08:59:40 pm »

But doesn't that make you a dickhead who has purchased expensive consumables from bastards?

.... an estimation of the cost per cup (at the number we have per day) of beverage for ingredients, electricity, and allowing for machine capital cost amortisation over about 20 years that we've had the machine is around 39p - I think that's probable justification when set against the going rate for a flat white . . . . .  (and our coffee tastes like coffee, unlike to warm brown water you get at Starbucks!)