Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 976959 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #10475 on: 07 June, 2024, 01:44:54 pm »
Atlas.

It was shit, apart from the mildly sarcastic robotic exoskeleton[1].

The Critical Drinker on YouTube did a review entitled "Everybody shrugged".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10476 on: 11 June, 2024, 10:40:49 pm »
Freud’s Last Session

A dramatisation of a meeting that didn’t happen between Sigmund Freud and CS Lewis in September 1939. Anthony Hopkins as Ziggy. Adapted from a stage play and very much feels like it, with lots of tacked-on bits to make it feel less like Two Blokes Talking In A Room. Not very successfully. Plus some token Scenes With Women to tick the Bechdel box.

Not entirely sure what was supposed to be the point of it. It’s mostly the two of them trading off the pros and cons of Christianity vs atheism but without having much of interest to say about either. All felt a bit hackneyed, tbh.

I preferred the one about Freud visiting late 20th century San Dimas, Ca.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #10477 on: 16 June, 2024, 05:17:30 am »
Ferrari Michael Mann's attempt at making actors do worse Italian accents than Brad Pitt in Inglorious Bastards.
At least, I assume that was the point of the movie? Also some very very bad CGI.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10478 on: 16 June, 2024, 08:16:09 am »
Untraceable and I'm still wondering why. Run of the mill serial-killer vs cop pic with computerese grafted in. 20 minutes before the end MrsT says "I've seen this" and proceeds to tell me the ending.  Takes me back to the 70's when I was watching a rugby international on the box with some friends and the wife of one stuck her head round the door and said "They just said on the radio that the All Blacks won".

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10479 on: 21 June, 2024, 08:31:20 pm »
Teh Meg. Thats two hours of my life I’ll never get back!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10480 on: 22 June, 2024, 08:42:49 am »
Section Spéciale, a 1975 Costa-Gavras film about the Vichy government's special courts that would select people already imprisoned for political "crimes" and condemn to death the requisite number to placate the German authorities after Resistance attacks, rationalizing that by doing so they were saving hostages being taken and executed in greater numbers.  Nasty but riveting.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10481 on: 22 June, 2024, 05:23:06 pm »
Kelly's Heroes, its still good

I'm still wondering how they got the gold back to the USA, or did they just hop over the border to Luxembourg and open a numbered account?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #10482 on: 22 June, 2024, 06:58:00 pm »
Kelly's Heroes, its still good

I'm still wondering how they got the gold back to the USA, or did they just hop over the border to Luxembourg and open a numbered account?

The latter's the more viable option - see: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Headscratchers/KellysHeroes

Warning: XKCD #609 applies: https://xkcd.com/609/ :demon: ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #10483 on: 22 June, 2024, 07:46:11 pm »
Another Storyville Flee the animated story of an Afghan refugee who ended up in Denmark. An extraordinary story told in an extraordinary way.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10484 on: 22 June, 2024, 11:06:16 pm »
Teh Meg 2 was infinitely more ridiculous than the first one, and that was pretty daft. At least in the first one they only alluded to the _extensions_ to the known laws of physics that they were relying on. They rode a team of horses and a cart through even the vaguest hint at reality in 2. <fx:shakes head>
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10485 on: 30 June, 2024, 11:15:07 am »
Kelly's Heroes. Tolerable, with merciful dashes of Donald Sutherland.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10486 on: 08 July, 2024, 06:00:47 am »
I watched Atlas during Saturday's soggy turbo session, should have read this thread first

Saturday night, along with wife and daughter, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, we got bored and collectively decide to give up with about another 90 min remaining. Why did it need to be that long? Or that tedious?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10487 on: 08 July, 2024, 08:48:21 am »
12 Angry Men, the 1997 remake for TV with Jack Lemmon and George C. Scott.  Excellent.

Just read that the 1957 Fonda version was a remake of a TV film.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10488 on: 11 July, 2024, 08:44:21 am »
Dig! the rockumentary.  The main takeaway is that Anton Newcombe is a weapons-grade nutter.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #10489 on: 11 July, 2024, 08:26:43 pm »
Prompted by a post on here somewhere, I ended up watching Biking Borders (Netflix) a feature-length self-filmed documentary by a couple of young German non-cyclists who randomly decide to cycle from Berlin to Beijing to raise money for a school in Guatemala.

Their lack of planning is astounding. Crossing Türkiye in winter at minus a lot, getting really worried at the thought of 100km between towns at one point (they rarely manage more than 80 km in a day). But they make it, mostly on account of their never-ending optimism and good nature. They also manage to cross Iran and Turkmenistan (with a fair amount of hitch-hiking TBF).
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.