Author Topic: The general food & drink grumble thread  (Read 5897 times)

Re: The general food & drink grumble thread
« Reply #25 on: 02 June, 2024, 12:10:48 pm »
I was reminded last evening why I rarely buy fancy crackers for cheese from our farm shop. Packaging is about 5cm square and 15cm long. It contains a much smaller plastic tray. That tray contains exactly 14 1mm thick crackers some 3cm square.  >:(
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #26 on: 05 June, 2024, 01:07:59 pm »
More packaging/presentation than product, innit?
I’ve given up my Graze boxes for this reason.
‘V&A’ William Morris TEA selection given to my Mum contained six ‘drawers’ of four teabags.
Many biscuit assortments are VERY poor VFM.

« Reply #27 on: 07 July, 2024, 11:50:27 am »
Twinings no longer make Lapsang Souchong, only 'Lapsang Souchong inspired' tea which yclept Distinctively Smokey.
In a back-to-back test the latter is distinctively pants.

ETA: Taylors of Harrogate to the rescue. I've just ordered a couple of boxes from them.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #28 on: 07 July, 2024, 02:54:13 pm »
Twinings no longer make Lapsang Souchong, only 'Lapsang Souchong inspired' tea which yclept Distinctively Smokey.

ETA: Taylors of Harrogate to the rescue. I've just ordered a couple of boxes from them.

I have a feeling we’ve discussed this before. It was never that good in the first place.

I still have half a box of Twinings LS in the cupboard, which reflects that fact that I don’t drink it very often.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #29 on: 07 July, 2024, 03:04:45 pm »
There was definitely some discussion of it. I think both lapsang souchong and earl grey are aberrations to the tea-ness of tea, so my opinion doesn't count here.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #30 on: 07 July, 2024, 03:14:09 pm »

I have a feeling we’ve discussed this before. It was never that good in the first place.

I still have half a box of Twinings LS in the cupboard, which reflects that fact that I don’t drink it very often.
The Distinctly Smokey stuff is of a level of foulness which tempts me to cycle (in the rain) up to The Strand and post it through Twinings letterbox.

« Reply #31 on: 07 July, 2024, 08:44:55 pm »

The Distinctly Smokey stuff is of a level of foulness which tempts me to cycle (in the rain) up to The Strand and post it through Twinings letterbox.

Can I be extremely pedantic and point out that the Strand is just called Strand and therefore doesn't have a capital T? Though it does have TEA
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #32 on: 08 July, 2024, 10:12:33 am »
Capital drink. Theft, of course.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight