Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 300854 times)

Someone at the corporate mothership has been bamboozled by sales people form some startup. They are floating the  idea of the company replacing all our home internet connections with a special black box that will provide a better internet connection and VPNs back to the mothership than BT, Virgen etc can do over the same lines. Apparently ISPs moniter traffic and deliberately throttle VPNs. This company claims to be able to constantly monitor this and and foil such dasterdly behavior and change the path of our traffic to avoid bottlenecks. No this isnt local loop unbundling they claim to be able to do it over what ever connection is available.
Our entire department of network engineers including people who have worked with or for ISPs is crying "bollocks" and "marketing voodoo". Plus who would allow their house router to be black box they werent allowed to make any changes to. DHCP reservation forget it.. Mutiple SSIDs no chance. 802.1q dont ask for complications.
This is going to get messy.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Don't miss an opportunity! find out who and sell 'em some of these

ian

You'll probably need a side of deoxygenated ethernet cables to go with that.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
I'm pondering a replacement PSU to replace my current 3 year old Kolink 500W jobby.

I recently upgraded to a Radeon Rx580 GPU, from a GT1030.  Had a strange case of display corruption during full load yesterday. So perhaps the old 500W is a bit on the low side...

Rest of system is a AMD A8-6600K cpu. 16gb of DDR3 ram (4 x 4gb sticks). 1 120gb SSD, two 1tb hard drives. 

So replace with a 750W  / 850W PSU? Ideally i'll be upgrading the rest of the system within 6 months to a year, so hopefully whatever PSU i buy will be future proof for then.

Ended up going for a Corsair RM750 750W psu! 10 Year warranty, so that should be me future proofed PSU wise for the next few system upgrades!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Hurrah!  Got rid of the lying voicemail icon on my phone which claims I have voicemail when I don't.  This has also increased the quantity of voles in the flattery from 55% to 82%.

Bah!  I think it’s got droid rot.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

You'll probably need a side of deoxygenated ethernet cables to go with that.

You could sort out those people with a deoxygenated room.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
There's an unsecured WiFi network called "Logan's bedroom speaker".  Alas it's bedtime, so I'll have to work out how to rickroll it later.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
There's an unsecured WiFi network called "Logan's bedroom speaker".  Alas it's bedtime, so I'll have to work out how to rickroll it later.
so at what time did you got to bed and what did the owner of said unsecured WiFi say when you cranked it to 11 ? :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
We decided we'd get them at 6am or 8am...

Especially as apparently they had a long and loud fire alarm at 8am this morning! I of course heard nothing, but Kim was kept awake by it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
We decided we'd get them at 6am or 8am...

Especially as apparently they had a long and loud fire alarm at 8am this morning! I of course heard nothing, but Kim was kept awake by it.

There's a corresponding peak on the PM10 graph, which looks a bit more substantial than the usual whiff of toast.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
 :thumbsup:

You’ll probably have to do that again after an OS update....
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

I'm confused, all my Macs chime on startup (unless the volume is muted)?

Jaded

• The Codfather
New OSX ones don't.

Suppressed, like the lit up Apple that shone from ranks of journalists, sports writers, and others, in the gloom of an Olympics, or Rugby World Cup.

ian

Ah, mine are a few years old. Tbh, when you've inadvertently set the volume to very loud, it's quite a wake-up the first thing the following morning.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Somewhere in tens of thousands of files and hundreds of thousands of lines of text is a missing “/“ character.

I will you…

Just search for [^/] you'll soon find it
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Jaded

• The Codfather
Here it is

/

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Just search for [^/] you'll soon find it

Will that differentiate between “/foo/bar/quux.zob” and “foo/bar/quux.zob” with an arbitrary numbers of “/“ characters, in some cases preceded by a bunch of non-ASCII gubbins, and under an OS which doesn’t grok this arj-fangled regex Stuffs?

Here it is

/

Ta.  Could you pop it into the place it's supposed to live?

Jaded

• The Codfather

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
I ent found it.

Yet.

Bah!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
More F-35 software woes.

It reads like pilot error set up the situation, but the flight control software wouldn't allow the pilot to sort it out.

What I can't work out from the article is whether the inability of the sw to keep up was mainly a software problem (e.g. poor choice of task handling algorithm) or a hardware (e.g. CPU maxed out) problem.

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/f-35-overwhelmed-by-pilot-attempts-to-save-it/
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Jaded

• The Codfather
you are enough nerds to prolly liking this https://mango.pdf.zone/finding-former-australian-prime-minister-tony-abbotts-passport-number-on-instagram

"For security reasons, we try to change our Prime Minister every six months, and to never use the same Prime Minister on multiple websites."

;D

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
you are enough nerds to prolly liking this https://mango.pdf.zone/finding-former-australian-prime-minister-tony-abbotts-passport-number-on-instagram

"For security reasons, we try to change our Prime Minister every six months, and to never use the same Prime Minister on multiple websites."

;D
Resolving the attached footling note says "Except Kevin Rudd, but that was one time and we were kinda going through some stuff."
Heh
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)