Author Topic: Strava monthly distance challenge  (Read 4179 times)

Strava monthly distance challenge
« on: 01 April, 2020, 10:41:37 am »
Strava is allowing virtual runs this month due to the the restrictions. They could have gone one step further and cut the out side runs at the 1hour time🤔. Most of Europe cant even leave the house so its a fair move. Is this just happening due to Trump ramping up restrictions in the US?

Re: Strava monthly distance challenge
« Reply #1 on: 01 April, 2020, 01:04:14 pm »
What's the reason for cutting the outside runs at the 1hour time?
@CorbieLinnRider

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 01 April, 2020, 01:11:26 pm »
What's the reason for cutting the outside runs at the 1hour time?

I think somebody governmental said something to that effect when put on the spot in a radio interview?  So it's now the closest thing we have to official guidance.

« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2020, 01:18:09 pm »
Why is it somehow unfair that some can get an online digital badge on some Internet site and others cannot?

Why cut it at one hour? There's no such limit for most countries.

The closest thing here in the UK was when the Slithy Gove said (https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/michael-gove-tells-joggers-to-limit-exercise-stints-to-30-minutes-amid-coronavirus-lockdown):

"Well, obviously it depends on each individual's fitness. I would have thought that for most people, a walk of up to an hour, or a run of 30 minutes or a cycle ride of between that, depending on their level of fitness is appropriate."

I'm lucky that I'm coming back from injury and so 30 minute runs are roughly what I need right now, but if this lockdown carries on I'll be up to 1h runs in the next few months. Don't see why that would be anything but appropriate for my level of fitness. I'll also be doing my runs as local loops to home so even if I go out to do 10km I'll still stay within 2 miles or so of home. (Part of the concern of longer duration exercise, or cycling itself, is the distance that people can travel from home and the possible spread that introduces, hence the locality lockdowns in certain countries.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

rob

« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2020, 01:44:57 pm »
There is not one thing in existing law that stops you from legally going for a 4hr run or an 8hr bike ride.

Everything else is just opinion and conjecture.

« Reply #5 on: 01 April, 2020, 02:19:00 pm »
Indeed, but there's no legal definition of "social responsibility" and no legal definition of "unnecessary journey" either, so that argument swings both ways.

rob

« Reply #6 on: 01 April, 2020, 02:26:10 pm »
Indeed, but there's no legal definition of "social responsibility" and no legal definition of "unnecessary journey" either, so that argument swings both ways.

Well, yeah, what you can do and what you should do can be very different.

I have had calls with 2 customers in the last 2 days and both have asked me how I'm getting on being limited to riding for an hour a day.  I have explained to both that it's not a legal limit.  How much I'm actually riding outside is neither here nor there.   It's getting a bit like the road tax argument for me.

« Reply #7 on: 01 April, 2020, 05:51:18 pm »
So joe public gets the 1hour exercise advice and cyclists perfer to ignore it. Wonder whats going to happen, everyone is going down with cabin fever and some cyclists carry on cycling as if nothing has changed.

« Reply #8 on: 01 April, 2020, 06:12:55 pm »
I read Gove's comments as:
* carry on doing roughly what you were doing (but cut out the obviously completely unnecessary things such as specific events [all but cancelled anyway now])
* having loads of extra time is not an excuse to start doing loads more than you usually do/did
* for the vast majority of the population a 30 minute run, and hour long walk or cycle is perfectly adequate (and probably more than the average person does in this country anyway)
* keeping to these limits keeps you relatively local to your home
* they're not hard and fast rules but these may be coming (see France/Spain/Ireland) depending on how the curve flattening goes with the existing lockdown

The grey area is the 4-5 hour weekly club run type rides. I'm glad I'm not doing them so I don't have to make that call about myself.

For the majority of athletic people a 1 hour run or a 2 hour daily bike ride will be enough to maintain the majority of their heightened fitness. A weekly 8 hour ride is not necessary to maintain this fitness. Nor is it strictly necessary to maintain this level of fitness. Most people who really want to maintain this level of fitness will probably have a turbo and if the lockdown gets more severe (as in those other countries) then we'll see just how necessary those 5 hour rides are for those people when the only option for doing them is on a turbo.

rob

« Reply #9 on: 01 April, 2020, 07:09:10 pm »
So joe public gets the 1hour exercise advice and cyclists perfer to ignore it. Wonder whats going to happen, everyone is going down with cabin fever and some cyclists carry on cycling as if nothing has changed.

It wasn’t advice, it wasn’t guidance and it wasn’t an instruction.  It was a throwaway comment on a chat show.   I’m really sorry to harp on about this but it is these beliefs that will cause cyclists to be unfairly criticised.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #10 on: 01 April, 2020, 08:00:47 pm »

things have changed for cyclists - no events and no group riding and maintain social distancing (and rightly so given the current situation).

the rest hasn't changed, only some people make up theories, views and judgements in their minds and start patronising others.

as for time spent at home - there's hardly a difference whether one spends say 150 or 160 out of 168h/wk, but it suddenly becomes an "issue" if someone rides 200mi in those ten extra hours..

« Reply #11 on: 01 April, 2020, 08:28:51 pm »
As that link says:-

Government guidelines state that people should only leave home for essential shopping, medical needs, exercise or work travel.

But they add that "even when doing these activities, you should be minimising time spent outside of the home".

The crux of this is people's interpretation of "you should be minimising time spent outside of the home" and, for some reason, believing that it (a) doesn't apply to their hobby, or (b) that their need to maintain a vastly superior level of fitness to the average person is strictly necessary compared to just maintaining a reasonable level of fitness.

As I said before, if maintaining that level of fitness was really so important I look forward to the regular 5-8 hour turbo sessions once we enter a lockdown where outside movement is all but completely curtailed (e.g. as currently in force in Ireland).

« Reply #12 on: 01 April, 2020, 08:37:17 pm »
If lockdown comes, it will be hell. Had 3 days shut up in hotel room, day before 150 euro taxi run to airport hotel and 2nd last rescue flight home. Taxi bill was expected if we cycled could have been up to 2000 euro fine. So beware.

rob

« Reply #13 on: 01 April, 2020, 08:53:48 pm »
I’m riding less outdoors than I would normally.  In fact, I haven’t been outside today other than a walk to the supermarket.  I will keep riding on the road while I still can, on my own and on quiet lanes.

I’ll do more on the turbo in the coming weeks but I’m moving into maintenance mode.  I did 12 weeks on the turbo last Winter when I broke my wrist.  Hated it, though.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #14 on: 01 April, 2020, 09:05:48 pm »
I'm just happy I managed to do a full lap of the prison walk at lunchtime.
I didn't record it...

« Reply #15 on: 01 April, 2020, 09:12:58 pm »
"Is this just happening due to Trump ramping up restrictions in the US?"

It may have changed in the last few years, but 2 years ago when they ran a global heat map, it was clear that for a company in California, their largest collection of users was the UK and northern europe. So they may have seen a very significant drop in challenge riders.

« Reply #16 on: 15 April, 2020, 08:27:01 pm »
I would love it if ALL cyclists were responsible and gave consideration to social distancing.
Unfortunately far too many don't.

They are the ones that give us all a bad name.

It's nothing to do with 'legality' - and frankly I'm amazed at those who seem to think of how they ride their bikes only in those terms.

« Reply #17 on: 15 April, 2020, 09:25:56 pm »
I fucking hate cyclists.

I think you'll find most of us on Yacf do.

rob

« Reply #18 on: 15 April, 2020, 09:43:49 pm »
I fucking hate cyclists.

I think you'll find most of us Yacf do.

Something to snigger about of an evening.

Davef

« Reply #19 on: 15 April, 2020, 09:53:28 pm »
It is very difficult to tell from casual observation whether a cyclist has been out for beyond the minimum amount of time needed for exercise unless they brag about it. If you need to exercise a lot just keep quiet about it or others will seize on it as a reason to illegal gather around bbqs. Regarding the often mention strain on the nhs argument, from anecdotal evidence from one of my fathers geriatric friends who had to go to A&E with a self inflicted gardening machete injury, it is very very quiet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S2L

« Reply #20 on: 18 April, 2020, 12:12:05 pm »
Regarding the often mention strain on the nhs argument, from anecdotal evidence from one of my fathers geriatric friends who had to go to A&E with a self inflicted gardening machete injury, it is very very quiet.

Hardly surprising, we all knew non illness related A&E admissions were largely down to alcohol and fights outside clubs and bars, rather than cycling accidents, as some anti-outdoor sport talibans wanted us to believe.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 18 April, 2020, 12:40:56 pm »
Regarding the often mention strain on the nhs argument, from anecdotal evidence from one of my fathers geriatric friends who had to go to A&E with a self inflicted gardening machete injury, it is very very quiet.

Hardly surprising, we all knew non illness related A&E admissions were largely down to alcohol and fights outside clubs and bars, rather than cycling accidents, as some anti-outdoor sport talibans wanted us to believe.

I believe the weekend ballsports are also responsible for a fair few A&E visits...

« Reply #22 on: 18 April, 2020, 01:19:16 pm »

If we're doing anecdata then there's one broken leg and one punctured lung (and many broken ribs) amongst the parents of my daughters school (of 210 children) so far since the UK partial lockdown. Both of those (they are separate people/incidents) were on solo cycle rides, one didn't involve any other vehicle, the other was a hit and run from a speeding vehicle.

More anecdata from an A&E consultant I know is that there's no real difference in serious injuries like that coming into the A&E where she works. What's changed are the lack of injuries from alcohol fueled pub/club fights that has already been mentioned, but also the vast majority of complaints that shouldn't ever be seen in A&E have all but disappeared - many people are afraid of going near a hospital during these times.

The release of the statistics covering this period will be interesting, but just looking at the news there isn't a shortage of cyclists continuing to be killed on the roads:-

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=cyclist+killed+2020 gives:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52323567

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/cyclist-dies-injuries-following-crash-18090439

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/people/cyclist-dies-after-collision-involving-lorry-market-deeping-2541108

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/compton-crash-cyclist-killed-collision-van-a4412111.html

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #23 on: 18 April, 2020, 01:23:18 pm »
i want to create a challenge within a club among several teams, like this, does anyone know if this is possible now or any creative way around this?

rob

« Reply #24 on: 18 April, 2020, 02:04:17 pm »
We held off sending Dad into hospital as long as we could but he had worsened significantly and Mum couldn’t cope any more.   We’re not allowed to help and I’m 200 miles away.

Anyway, the interesting point is that an ambulance was out in 30 mins and there were only 2 people in A&E at 8am Thursday.  When my Mum was in before Christmas (it’s been an interesting few months) she was sat outside in an ambulance for 3hrs and didn’t get a bed for 12hrs.