Author Topic: Campagnolo 10 speed chain questions  (Read 1857 times)

Campagnolo 10 speed chain questions
« on: 03 January, 2014, 02:15:01 pm »
My Enigma is about to get its first ever real Campagnolo 10 speed chain, after using KMC since new. I was tempted by a sale.

But - the Campagnolo Centaur chain I have comes with a detailed instruction booklet full of warnings about things I must not do for fear of fatally weakening the chain. I understand the reasons for some of them, but I'm not sure how seriously to take others, for example, not using any chain tool other than Campagnolo's own. Is this really necessary?

Basically, what must I do, & what must I not do?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Re: Campagnolo 10 speed chain questions
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2014, 02:43:16 pm »
Throw away the instructions and use a kmc speed link

« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2014, 02:53:16 pm »
Beat me to it :-)! Use any chain tool, but rejoin with a breakable link - Wipperman, KMC or SRAM (having said that SRAM don't recommend re-using their 10sp quick-links either, but I did, as I had the chain already)

Edit: You may have to use a campag specific KMC link it seems. I've never botehred with Campag chains so don't know.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2014, 03:27:30 pm »
Thanks, both.

KMC Campag links are in the sales in local shops (OK, branches of national chain stores), a set of two for just over half the price of one Campagnolo chain link. Sounds good. I have to visit one of those shops anyway.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 03 January, 2014, 04:26:24 pm »
Use any decent tool to shorten the chain.  Maybe get the Campag tool if you have lots of money and want to join the chain without a magic link.

I use Wipperman Connex links with my Campag 10-speed chains (but not old "Campag" versions that are too wide for modern Campag Ultra-Narrow chain).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●