Author Topic: Busch & Muller Secula Plus for Seat Post or Stay (331/2ASK)  (Read 2331 times)

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
Busch & Muller Secula Plus for Seat Post or Stay (331/2ASK)
« on: 02 January, 2014, 06:29:43 am »
Looking at a couple of Busch & Muller Secula Plus for Seat Post or Stay (331/2ASK) and hoping there might be some experience with same here and/or the Philips Saferide.. 

I am particularly interested in how they compare with the Philips Saferide SRRDLGBLX1 and if I could get away with running two of either rear light in-combination with a Busch & Muller Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U front light.  All of which will be powered by, a SP PD-8 dynamo.

Thanks
Andrew

Re: Busch & Muller Secula Plus for Seat Post or Stay (331/2ASK)
« Reply #1 on: 02 January, 2014, 09:36:10 am »
I've got a mudguard Secula.
In so far as I can tell whilst riding or on standlight, it seems to be bright over a much wider angle than most rear lights.
Rumour would have it that it takes a relatively high current for a rear light, which may mean that two would have a noticeable impact on front light brightness. http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/achterlampen/BM_secula/index_en.html

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 02 January, 2014, 02:32:56 pm »
No experience of either of those lights specifically, but barakta's trike has been happily running a pair of Spanninga Pixeo rear lights (wired in parallel) along with a Cyo from an Axa bottle dynamo[1] with no noticeable effect on the Cyo's performance (the rears are unpluggable, so it's easy to confirm).  It seems reasonable to assume that LED front lights are designed to work with tungsten rears, so a pair of typical LED rears shouldn't be too taxing (with the disclaimer that the current draw linked above for the Secula isn't typical - it's nearly as much as a tungsten lamp would draw).

[1] Now the trike's got an electric assist, I've replaced the dynamo with voltage-regulated 7.5V DC, as per the Cyo's spec.  The whole system draws well under 3 watts steady-state[2], including ~10% regulator losses.  Sadly I don't have measurements under dynamo power.
[2] Current draw is higher at first, as the standlight capacitors charge.

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2014, 01:17:16 pm »
Rumour would have it that it takes a relatively high current for a rear light, which may mean that two would have a noticeable impact on front light brightness. http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/achterlampen/BM_secula/index_en.html

Thanks for the link.  I might give it a shot anyway. I am sure I can sell one light if it does not work out.

Andrew