Author Topic: Washing machine advice  (Read 3364 times)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Washing machine advice
« on: 23 May, 2011, 11:03:30 am »
I know similar questions have been asked before (eg here) but there's no harm in asking again.

We've had a Bosch for around 5 or 6 years but it has a major flaw: slime builds up between the drum and the door seal which then occasionally gets back onto clothes >:(. We've tried various techniques to avoid this without success.

Said machine is now faulty. I could repair it but I don't feel inclined in view of its shortcoming. Should we just buy a Miele or do all machines suffer in the way our Bosch did?
Pen Pusher

Re: Washing machine advice
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2011, 11:28:50 am »
We had a Hoover (Logic summat or other) for ~15 yrs (3 or 4 repairs in that time), and currently an AEG that's we've had for about 6 or 7 yrs. Both were washer-driers and both seemed to work quite well as both washer, and drier (contrary to one or two opinions in t'other thread) - tho' we don't use the drier that often.

The only build-up has been mould in the second machine after we started using non-bio liquid in it - and even then only up in the powder tray area. Periodically I get a brush in there and give it a good scrub/rinse, and if you're using non-bios you need to run a periodic maintenance wash (empty, hottest setting, with some bio powder).
But even then, we've never had any slime build up elsewhere or on clothes.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2011, 12:13:53 pm »
My Miele also gets a scummy deposit; I think it's a combination of hard water, detergent and low water volumes used by modern machines. I don't see it as a machine fault.

« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2011, 12:21:12 pm »
My Miele also gets a scummy deposit; I think it's a combination of hard water, detergent and low water volumes used by modern machines. I don't see it as a machine fault.

Our Bosch is similar - though not too bad, and we do as my mother used to always - wipe around inside the seal at the end of a wash. No hardship, keeps the deposits down. All machines will have similar recesses in the seals.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2011, 12:25:47 pm »
I would buy a Meile, they are very lovely and although expensive, in the long term give VFM. Like helly says you can still get a bit of that black coloured scummy stuff in the seal under the door, but it never gets on the clothes and is preventable by regular wiping and leaving door ajar (mine is sited behind a door so it's door tends to end up getting pushed closed a bit too often).

« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2011, 03:16:53 pm »
And don't forget to do a boil (or 90c) wash every now and then. You don't have to put any clothes in, just do the wash.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 24 May, 2011, 12:31:30 am »
I would buy a Meile, they are very lovely and although expensive, in the long term give VFM. Like helly says you can still get a bit of that black coloured scummy stuff in the seal under the door, but it never gets on the clothes and is preventable by regular wiping and leaving door ajar (mine is sited behind a door so it's door tends to end up getting pushed closed a bit too often).
I think this is the key to avoiding scum or mould, whatever make of machine.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #7 on: 24 May, 2011, 10:55:57 am »

It's not mould or scum. It's a brown/grey slime that accumulates in the recess between the drum and the door seal, ie out of view. It's difficult to fully clean out and every now and then a blob of it gets deposited on a clean white duvet cover or towel ::-). FWIW, the door is kept open.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #8 on: 24 May, 2011, 11:51:17 am »

It's not mould or scum. It's a brown/grey slime that accumulates in the recess between the drum and the door seal, ie out of view. It's difficult to fully clean out and every now and then a blob of it gets deposited on a clean white duvet cover or towel ::-). FWIW, the door is kept open.

Firstly, if you're using fabric conditioner/softner, desist!  This causes mucho slime and mouldiness.
Secondly, boil-out with a 90c wash once in a while, I also add a couple Harpic descaler blocks as well.
Then all should be well!

Here i can be found all you need to know about washing machines and smelliness etc:

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 24 May, 2011, 02:02:40 pm »
My scum (limey deposit) is browny-pink and can deposit on freshly washed white things.
Fabric softener (partner insists) leaves black mouldy slime in dispenser drawer.

« Reply #10 on: 24 May, 2011, 07:35:31 pm »
We´ve got a bog standard Miele that´s five years old. It´s a 5 minute job to make it all fresh again, as the drawer comes out for cleaning, and the seal is a doddle to clean out with J -cloth. My wife does a 90c wash once a month.

If all you are after is the build quality, just get the cheapest one. It´s built like a tank.

Not as impressed with their cheapest dishwasher, as the fan dryer gets water logged, and I can´t figure out how to take it apart (it looks like it should be serviceable).

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #11 on: 09 June, 2011, 10:44:55 pm »
Well, the fault seems to have gone away ???. I have heaved the machine back into its slot under the work-top and it seems fine (sludge issues notwithstanding). So, we now have 700 quid to spend on something else. Ideas?
Pen Pusher

« Reply #12 on: 10 June, 2011, 12:10:20 am »
... So, we now have 700 quid to spend on something else. Ideas?

n+1 ? ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #13 on: 10 June, 2011, 07:02:51 am »
apart from an n+1, buy a miele.  10 year guarantee as standard now too.