Author Topic: passport photos if you wear glasses  (Read 22297 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: passport photos if you wear glasses
« Reply #25 on: 25 December, 2012, 05:38:54 am »
My passport photo is of me without glasses and clean shaven.  I sometimes fly with glasses and/or facial hair (goatee or beard).  I've also noticed things go a bit smoother when looking 'respectable' - except for a few recent trips through Heathrow.  But at least one of those was due to faulty scanners, which seemed to insist I had a hunk of metal on/in my shoulder (which I don't).

YMMV
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #26 on: 25 December, 2012, 01:52:53 pm »
I'm sure passport staff get very adept at facial recognition and see ageing/changes in facial hair/balding as part of the territory.
Clear specs have never been an issue whilst travelling.
I'll remove them for my next set of passport pix.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #27 on: 27 December, 2012, 09:29:21 am »
I had to renew my passport last year.  The photo has glasses.  Not had any problems with that.

Last year yes, this year no.  Things have changed...

Re: Hubner's query, I can only assume they just want new photos, as their rambling letter isn't particularly clear, like their guidance.  That'll all they are getting, very grudgingly, accompanied by a letter of complaint and a request that they get their guidance accurate.  Luckily I don't need to travel abroad till June, so some arguing time left.
Wombat

« Reply #28 on: 27 December, 2012, 09:57:45 am »
Considering these guys hold all the aces, and have it within their power to make future travel difficult, you don't really have a lot of wriggle room.  I don't like it either, but sometimes it pays to be compliant.

It reminds me of a totally different, but equally frustrating, requirement when transferring North American stock.  With UK stock the seller signs a transfer form with their usual signature, and the broker certifies the signature to be true.  For NA stock the seller has to "sign" the equivalent to our transfer form (a "stock power") with the name (a) exactly as it appears on the certificate and (b) legible.  So in effect the seller has to just write their name.  If the name on the certificate says "Mrs Andrea Freda G Snodgrass", signing without the title, the first and second names in full and the initial and the surname, and all completely legible (but not block capitals, as it actually appears!) it will be rejected.  Given that the paperwork has to be couriered across the Atlantic, the charges quickly roll up.  It's amazing how many otherwise intelligent clients cannot, or will not, comply.

« Reply #29 on: 28 December, 2012, 05:12:51 pm »

with a neutral expression and your mouth closed

I submitted a photo at the Post Office and was told it would probably be rejected because my teeth were showing.  Anyone who has met me will know that this is because my teeth do show, all the time, thanks to my overbite. So I had to get another taken with my lips clamped shut, utterly unnatural for me.

A colleague at Uni renewed at the same time (we were both going to a conference in Mexico) and took her glasses off, and the result when our passports came back was that we reckoned either of us could have passed for the other, or any middle aged brunette with short hair.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk