Author Topic: basic mobile phone (cheap)  (Read 979 times)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
basic mobile phone (cheap)
« on: 13 February, 2016, 12:49:20 pm »
I want a cheapie basic mobile for my Sierra Leone trip, with a long battery life, to use with a local SIM card.  I've spotted the Samsung E1200 which fits the bill but I cannot find out if it has the usual micro USB connector, or not. Samsung do not want to admit this, even on the instruction booklet... Whatever I get, must have the usual connector, as life out there will be dominated by charging things as and when I can, so I don;t want to take another charger, I'll need to be able to charge it from a monster power bank, or the charger for my fancy Sony smartphone (which I'll need for mapping and GPS).

As far as I know, Nokias still use some other stupid connector (well, our year old office phone does, so I'm assuming they all do).

Does anyone know? 
Wombat

Re: basic mobile phone (cheap)
« Reply #1 on: 13 February, 2016, 01:04:02 pm »
It's one of the wide and thin types of connector.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S20-pin-Charging-Cable/dp/B0012P0IG8

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 13 February, 2016, 02:00:06 pm »
A Micro USB adapter cable could be easily made if no suitable adapter is on the market, by me if you like.

ie. Proprietary plug one end, Micro USB socket other end.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #3 on: 13 February, 2016, 02:07:52 pm »
Ok it is twice the price.  I use a Samsung  GT E1270 which is a flip phone so smaller to suit my ideas and it uses a micro USB.

« Reply #4 on: 14 February, 2016, 10:06:59 pm »
my brother has just got a new cheap nokia I think its the 215 less than £20 I think & I am sure it is charged via a micro usb, so might be worth a nosey in one of the mobile shops to see what type of charger it takes

« Reply #5 on: 15 February, 2016, 02:33:28 pm »
I have a Samsung B2710 Tough phone and think it's excellent.

The battery lasts for ages, it uses a standard micro-usb connector for charging and can get a signal where my smartphone can't sometimes.

It spends the majority of it's time inside my buoyancy aid pocket soaking wet or under water and it just keeps going and going.

The only downside is the camera isn't as good as a smartphone but I guess we've been spoilt in that area of late.

It's well worth the £22 in my opinion.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #6 on: 15 February, 2016, 05:11:20 pm »
I have a Samsung B2710 Tough phone and think it's excellent.

The battery lasts for ages, it uses a standard micro-usb connector for charging and can get a signal where my smartphone can't sometimes.

It spends the majority of it's time inside my buoyancy aid pocket soaking wet or under water and it just keeps going and going.

The only downside is the camera isn't as good as a smartphone but I guess we've been spoilt in that area of late.

It's well worth the £22 in my opinion.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
That was my old phone. It is really really good if you need battery time and dirt proof.
It survived 4 months biking through africa in my backpack.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #7 on: 16 February, 2016, 08:18:58 am »
Hmm, that sounds like an idea!  I'll check that one out.  The ability not to mind being dropped in the dirt would be a plus point, I suppose.  I shall be avoiding swamps, with their attendant crocodiles and hippos, mind.
Wombat