Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750587 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #4200 on: 13 June, 2013, 07:51:59 pm »
Today I saw an epic birthday card that I knew Wowbagger would love!  So, even though I didn't know when his birthday was I bought it.  As luck would have it Wow's Big Day is later this month so I will post it to him with much love and manly hugs from the MEMWNS crew.  I will pop a photo on here.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4201 on: 17 June, 2013, 10:17:21 am »
*** ADVANCE PLANNING ALERT ***
This week will see the first Witham Cycling group evening led ride departing from the environs of Witham soon after 19:30 and taking a fairly direct route to The Compasses.  The pace is likely to be leisurely so arrival time will probably be about 20:45 to 21:00.

In the time honoured tradition of not leading newbie evening riders astray on their first outing where they may encounter MEMWNS pissheads riders I will endeavour to lead them home again from 22:00 (this is an objective that may be flexible depending upon how many turn up to be led).

Therefore, esteemed MEMWNS members, you may like to join us in The Compasses on Wednesday or choose to go somewhere else entirely  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4202 on: 17 June, 2013, 10:23:55 am »
In the time honoured tradition of not leading newbie evening riders astray on their first outing where they may encounter MEMWNS pissheads riders I will endeavour to lead them home again from 22:00 (this is an objective that may be flexible depending upon how many turn up to be led).

Go luck with that one  ::-)

I refer the honourable company to post number 1197 (page 48) for photographic evidence of the celebrated instance I tried exactly the same trick.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4203 on: 17 June, 2013, 11:14:15 am »

Go luck with that one  ::-)

I refer the honourable company to post number 1197 (page 48) for photographic evidence of the celebrated instance I tried exactly the same trick.

Yes, well, it has been a steep slippery slope since then  ;D

As you are aware I am introducing new and inexperienced cyclists to our HEALTHY pastime.  One such innocent was with us on Wednesday.  I WAS thinking of e-mailing them a link to YACF in general and this thread in particular.  I'm now not sure that's such a good idea.

Oaky, what the f%#k were you doing naked???

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4204 on: 17 June, 2013, 04:33:06 pm »
Compasses you say?

hmmm....
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #4205 on: 17 June, 2013, 05:35:06 pm »
Compasses you say?

hmmm....

Maybe you could give Wowbagger a call and both turn up at the Compasses doing a reenactment of last weekend's World Naked Bike Ride. Would give Huggy's group something to chat about!
I may cycle up direct to the Compasses a bit later from Witham and join the throng as a leg warmer for Friday night. I will be fully clothed.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4206 on: 17 June, 2013, 06:02:11 pm »
Although my birthday is on Wednesday next week, I almost certainly won't be out as it is my grand-daughter's birthday the following day and I will be off to her house to celebrate it and must therefore keep a clear head and get some sleep the night before.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4207 on: 17 June, 2013, 07:49:13 pm »
Hmm... It's looking possible that I might not be around to visit the Compasses and frighten the newcomers this week owing to a potential work thing that night.

There's a small chance it'll get postponed though so the Witham Cycling group may not get off so lightly after all :)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4208 on: 19 June, 2013, 04:33:52 pm »
It's looking like I will have at least 2 victims innocent Withamite riders to lead over to The Compasses this evening, maybe even 3 or 4.  :thumbsup:
ETA 8:45pm

« Reply #4209 on: 19 June, 2013, 04:49:09 pm »
I was going to pop along, but I've got an IT related foot injury :facepalm:

I'll be around next Wed since I'll be working from home.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4210 on: 19 June, 2013, 05:14:03 pm »
I was going to pop along, but I've got an IT related foot injury :facepalm:

Have you been typing with your toes too much again?!?

« Reply #4211 on: 19 June, 2013, 07:42:53 pm »
That would have been more impressive. Sadly it was the blunt corner of an iPad from about 5ft landing square on the bone - at least the screen didn't smash!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4212 on: 24 June, 2013, 09:16:00 am »
How about this Wednesday? Could take advantage of the light evenings to go further afield, maybe even up into the Land of the South Folk? ....Bures, Clare?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4213 on: 24 June, 2013, 09:18:26 am »
How about this Wednesday? Could take advantage of the light evenings to go further afield, maybe even up into the Land of the South Folk? ....Bures, Clare?

Sounds lovely but I'm unavailable I'm afraid - a situation that might exist until mid-August.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4214 on: 24 June, 2013, 09:43:04 am »

Sounds good to me.  Anywhere in particular in mind?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4215 on: 24 June, 2013, 10:33:26 am »

Sounds good to me.  Anywhere in particular in mind?
+1
Although I would like to be home not too far in to Thursday  ::-)

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4216 on: 24 June, 2013, 03:50:14 pm »
Looks at map...Castle Hedingham is about equidistant from Witham and Dunmow, so we could meet up at the 'Bell'? - will check later when there's more time, then on to Bures St Mary - the pub just over the Stour into Forrin Territory is quite good if I recall correctly.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4217 on: 24 June, 2013, 04:58:26 pm »
Excellent plan.  I shall consider a suitable route to Castle Hedingham form Witham in that case.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4218 on: 25 June, 2013, 07:13:24 pm »
If I leave at say, about 7pm, I could be in C. Hedingham by 8:30...a quick pint then on to Bures, another hour's ride, there by 10? After another drink, that leaves maybe 2 hours to get back before Huggy turns into a pumpkin.  :D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4219 on: 26 June, 2013, 08:42:59 am »
Today I saw an epic birthday card that I knew Wowbagger would love!  So, even though I didn't know when his birthday was I bought it.  As luck would have it Wow's Big Day is later this month so I will post it to him with much love and manly hugs from the MEMWNS crew.  I will pop a photo on here.

And today is our Wow's big day - HAPPY BIRTHDAY Wowbagger!!!  :-*   :-*   :-*

Here is the card what I sent him from us all ...

And the inside ...

I have already had a PM from the Birthday Boy confirming safe receipt of said card.  I imagine there was a little tear in his eye - bless!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4220 on: 26 June, 2013, 08:51:40 am »
If I leave at say, about 7pm, I could be in C. Hedingham by 8:30...a quick pint then on to Bures, another hour's ride, there by 10? After another drink, that leaves maybe 2 hours to get back before Huggy turns into a pumpkin.  :D

I won't be able to get away before 7:30, but C. Hedingham is only about 18 miles from here which isn't much more than an hour, so allowing for stopping time, a possible slightly late start and faffage, we probably still get there in time for a swift drink before setting off for Bures provided we push on a bit.  I'll check on route options this morning.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4221 on: 26 June, 2013, 01:26:11 pm »
Tomsk - whereabouts in Bures are you thinking of going BTW?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4222 on: 26 June, 2013, 01:43:24 pm »
I'm thinking in terms of something like this for the route out from Witham to C Hedingham (a relatively no-nonsense 17 mile direct-ish route) and from Bures back to Witham.  The bit between C. Hedingham and Bures is just for show - will actually ignore the GPS routing and use JFT routing for that section.

I might look for a suitable detour on the way back to make the route up to 50 miles total though (it's at 46.5 at the moment), subject to the JFT section.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4223 on: 26 June, 2013, 03:33:01 pm »
Looks like this is set up for a sprint pace between Braintree and Castle Hedingham.
If Oaky leaves his house about 7:30 and picks me up as he passes my house 5 minutes later we should be in CH about 8:45(ish) depending on headwind.  What time is last orders in Bures...??

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4224 on: 26 June, 2013, 04:07:16 pm »
Tomsk - whereabouts in Bures are you thinking of going BTW?

The Three Horse Shoes, by the church - very old skool - didn't do food, but had free snacks and allowed us to eat our picnic inside, last time I was there [on a CTC ride a few years ago]. There is one on the corner before the bridge, too -The Swan?