Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750683 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #6225 on: 02 March, 2015, 02:43:13 pm »
Where is the Oddie?

« Reply #6226 on: 02 March, 2015, 03:56:28 pm »
hey Christophe, it is over on Mersea Road just up from the Round about. To get home is a sneak through the houseing development and over to Tiptree via Birch HERE

« Reply #6227 on: 02 March, 2015, 04:09:02 pm »
Cheers. Was considering coming over after Mrs C. comes back from the gym but might be a bit far out. maybe next week...

« Reply #6228 on: 02 March, 2015, 05:19:33 pm »
Is there room for another one ?

As you are over my side of the world this week and it is the Horsepower on Saturday, I thought I might try to come along and say hello.

Coming from Mersea so a pint at the Fox then on to Oddies would be perfect if that's ok with everyone.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6229 on: 02 March, 2015, 05:42:32 pm »
Is there room for another one ?

As you are over my side of the world this week and it is the Horsepower on Saturday, I thought I might try to come along and say hello.

Coming from Mersea so a pint at the Fox then on to Oddies would be perfect if that's ok with everyone.
Always room for another  :thumbsup:
We usually arrive at the refreshment stop between 9pm and 9:30, we'll be the group dressed in lycra and hi-viz.  Be good to meet you, tedshred!
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6230 on: 03 March, 2015, 08:25:22 am »
I'm out for this week  :'(

Things to do, plus my cough has got worse so an easy week is called for. I'll see most of you on Saturday :thumbsup:...

....15 degrees forecast  :o

« Reply #6231 on: 03 March, 2015, 09:58:12 am »
Hi tedshred, would be great to meet you, a good Peloton growing from the MEWMNS thred for the Horsepower.

Leaving Witham at 19:30 I expect we will be at the Layer Fox around 20:30 - 20:45 for a Swift refreshment and then heading on to the Oddie.

As Huggy mentions....we'll be pretty easy to spot!

« Reply #6232 on: 03 March, 2015, 07:36:29 pm »
 i will be out tomorrow see you all at 7.30   :thumbsup:

« Reply #6233 on: 03 March, 2015, 10:15:32 pm »
Approximate Route is HERE

There are a couple of Options from Layer if people want to make it a bit longer....I won't be, as I want to be home at a reasonable time (famous last words)

« Reply #6234 on: 04 March, 2015, 07:54:16 am »
I'll do a loop from Mersea and try to catch up with you around Abberton Reservoir or at the Fox.

« Reply #6235 on: 04 March, 2015, 02:41:26 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6236 on: 04 March, 2015, 04:16:20 pm »
I'm going to need me tea in Colchester. It used to be the case that The Victoria Inn on North Station Rd would allow you to eat takeaways on their premises so long as you keep drinking beer. They used to provide plates and eating irons. Just saying like ...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6237 on: 04 March, 2015, 04:53:48 pm »
I'm going to need me tea in Colchester. It used to be the case that The Victoria Inn on North Station Rd would allow you to eat takeaways on their premises so long as you keep drinking beer. They used to provide plates and eating irons. Just saying like ...
I'm going to be tea challenged this evening too, will shovel some carbs down before I leave but probably will be snacking in the pub(s).

« Reply #6238 on: 04 March, 2015, 05:12:38 pm »
Shall we switch locations in Colchester then?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6239 on: 04 March, 2015, 05:28:30 pm »
I have suddenly found myself uncommitted this evening, but I think Colchester is just a bit too far.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6240 on: 04 March, 2015, 05:33:20 pm »
Shall we switch locations in Colchester then?

Why don't you have a chat when you meet up and text me? 

I have PMed tedshred to alert him (I presume its a chap) and he now has my mobile number but you might meet up en route.

I have suddenly found myself uncommitted this evening, but I think Colchester is just a bit too far.

Bring the Leaf ... catch a train!!!  Go on, you know you want to!!!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #6241 on: 04 March, 2015, 07:07:51 pm »
Hi, I'm not working tonight as I expected so I'd like to meet up with you guys. Tippers has warned me but I'm still keen.

Is the plan, Layer Fox for 8:30pm and then decide on the next pub?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6242 on: 04 March, 2015, 07:28:02 pm »
Hi, I'm not working tonight as I expected so I'd like to meet up with you guys. Tippers has warned me but I'm still keen.

Is the plan, Layer Fox for 8:30pm and then decide on the next pub?
That sounds like the plan now, see you there  :thumbsup:
Keep in touch with Tippers if your plans change (I'm guessing you have his mobile number)

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #6243 on: 05 March, 2015, 08:41:21 am »
A fantastic ride and general evening last night  :thumbsup: great to see OD again after nearly a months absence, looking pretty trim I thought so I can see the spinning and bodypump are paying off!  ;D

Nice to meet new faces in Carlosfandango and Tedshred (many thanks for your generosity purchasing the refreshments guys) at the Layer Fox where I sampled a Growler Bitter from the Nethergate Brewery, a swift trip down the road and I was about to experience my first visit to The Odd One Out whereby Carlos made a grand entrance chucking himself down the steps in the beer garden upon arrival (I didn't touch him ref honest  ;) ) of course this was captured on camera which I will try and upload to this thread in the not too distant future - as well as You've Been Framed.........  :o  I'll give you the money for new tights Carlos if its shown  ;)
I loved the Oddie a proper old school, back street boozer with great ale on tap, I sampled a Cuckoo, Priory Mild and one final one beginnning with an A that escapes me all very nice I must say!

On the way home it appeared that this falling off malarky was catching as Andy C33 decided to throw himself over the handlebars having hit a pothole at a wee stop.

Thanks for a top evening gentleman  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6244 on: 05 March, 2015, 08:51:38 am »
Like what Dogger's says ^^^, especially the bit about welcoming two new faces to the fold  :-*

I love quirky pubs like the Oddie.  I spotted a little sign offering Bovril for 80p.  What was I supposed to do ...?

It was also imperative that I tried one of the Oddie's famous Nourishing Cheese Rolls.  The rude finger belongs to tippers who seemed to think I should share my Nourishing Cheese Roll  :o

A good night out   :thumbsup:

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #6245 on: 05 March, 2015, 09:39:22 am »
Thanks for an entertaining evening guys. Was good to meet you all and the "Oddie" is an excellent pub. A good selection of beers although my head is throbbing a bit this morning.

I did make a bit of an arse over elbow entrance into the Oddie beer garden, shouldn't have tried cycling down the steps. OD was there already, his comment on meeting me for the first time as I sprawled on the ground "so your the new boy then" cracked me up :facepalm:

Er, looking forward to seeing your video DL.

« Reply #6246 on: 05 March, 2015, 10:07:38 am »
Good to meet you all last night and I look forward to watching you disappear over the horizon on Saturday at the Horsepower.

Big fan of the Oddie.  Carlos's Fandango made it even more memorable.

The battery fell out of my front light on the way down Manwood Hill on the way home which meant I didn't see the pothole that caused the puncture that I had to repair by moonlight before I realised I had two punctures and one spare tube.

Mrs Shred (who was fairly suspicious of the whole outing it has to be said) was delighted to be dragged out of bed after midnight on broom wagon duties.  Lessons learned.

Hope to do another one the next time you come my side of the A12.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6247 on: 05 March, 2015, 10:26:40 am »
... Mrs Shred (who was fairly suspicious of the whole outing it has to be said) was delighted to be dragged out of bed after midnight on broom wagon duties ...

Ah yes, some of us have been doing these Wednesday evening jaunts since 2009 and can report it takes some while for Significant Others to adjust.  Hauling Mrs Shred out of bed would certainly of been a baptism of fire for the poor woman! 

It is perfectly possible to get into considerable trouble as a result of MEMWNS activities.  Returning on a Thursday, pissed, smelling of beer and sweat etc, etc doesn't always go down well, but salvation is a hand.  It pays to introduce one's Significant Other to Oaky, one of our founding members.  We'll explain how it works when we next see you.  Unfortunately, and unhelpfully, our hero is spending too much time on the other side of the Atlantic explaining to our colonial cousins how to migrate data centres.  Although rumor has it he might put in an appearance on the HP200.

Hope to do another one the next time you come my side of the A12.

This is perfectly possible.

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #6248 on: 05 March, 2015, 10:33:55 am »
Er, looking forward to seeing your video DL.

I would love to say that with some clever editing I might be able to make it look like a professional fall but alas I'm not sure I shall be able to........ sorry  :'(

Good to meet you all last night and I look forward to watching you disappear over the horizon on Saturday at the Horsepower.
Mrs Shred (who was fairly suspicious of the whole outing it has to be said) was delighted to be dragged out of bed after midnight on broom wagon duties.  Lessons learned.

Unsurprisingly Mrs DL still hasn't quite got her head around MEMWNS yet :facepalm: and why I love flying round the Essex lanes with like minded loons as the lights switch off in Witham but im sure she will do one day............ ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6249 on: 05 March, 2015, 10:41:21 am »
I think your day dear lady has more to adjust to than most given the name you've saddled her with.  The fact you're still alive is frankly astonishing!

[Edited to correct typo]