Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750679 times)

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #6725 on: 07 May, 2015, 08:52:27 am »
So after a battle against the wind, a trundle up North Hill and Huggy picking up a puncture we found a gem of a pub in The Compasses at Great Totham (now under new ownership!  :thumbsup:) which completed our visits to The Compasses Essex set with this one being the most Easterley of the lot........
5 ales and a cider on tap including a 9% something beast I believe found Ted with a sample upon our arrival, Tomsk and OD were suitably impressed to sample a half each whilst others had the Wibblers Celeste (including myself) which went down a treat ;D I washed this down with a good old Oscar Wilde afterwards!

In what was the now customary enjoyable MEMWNS evening we had myself, Huggy and Andy C33 set off from Spa Road picking up Tomsk enroute just down the road from the pub and not long after arrival OD turned up with Ted already sampling the tipple inside, sadly the new landlord is maybe not aware of waht he has let himself n for agreeing that we could hold he MEMWNS xmas do here next Jan  :facepalm:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6726 on: 07 May, 2015, 08:58:13 am »
A gem of a pub as you say. I've been past so many times over the years it was great to pop in at long last. I liked the dogs, particularly the Doberman who had broken into the crisp store and eaten 18 packets before being rumbled  ;D

We might have to organise a pre-Epathy Do camping trip.

The Retiree

« Reply #6727 on: 07 May, 2015, 09:14:39 am »
I liked the dogs, particularly the Doberman who had broken into the crisp store and eaten 18 packets before being rumbled  ;D

We might have to organise a pre-Epathy Do camping trip.

Of course I forgot about the rare terrier...?! and the Doberman that had eaten all the packets of crisps, it's rather forutnate we didn't ask for any last night as I doubt we would have got any  ;D the landlord seemed more than accomodating for camping in his beer garden....!

« Reply #6728 on: 07 May, 2015, 09:21:37 am »
Agreed, a nice pub.  It doesn't seem too difficult a formula - enthusiastic landlord + decent selection of ales + good but unpretentious food + a pleasant country setting = success.  Why do so many pubs seem to get it so wrong ?

Now we need to plan a mystical ride that takes in all the compasses pubs using laylines whenever possible.  I suspect that after a few pints of the 9% ale we could start seeing all sorts of things.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #6729 on: 07 May, 2015, 09:23:07 am »
One other good thing about the Compasses at Totham - it's pretty much downhill to get home afterwards for everyone (except Tomsk but he doesn't mind).

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6730 on: 07 May, 2015, 09:35:21 am »
There is also the loyalty card that everyone was issued - buy six pints and get one free, now there's a challenge for some OTP  :demon:
If you care to look at your loyalty card you will notice that the misguided new landlord has chosen to use a compass icon on his stationery, oh how peeved he looked when OD was regaling him with tales of pointing out to the landlord of the namesake pub in Pattiswick about the wrong sort of compass-es have been used, not realising that the same mistake appears to have been made here  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #6731 on: 07 May, 2015, 09:42:30 am »
and him a former RAF pilot as well

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6732 on: 07 May, 2015, 09:57:17 am »
I'm a compass pedant  ;D

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6733 on: 08 May, 2015, 11:53:10 pm »
Getting back to cycling...

Whilst riding the ECCA 100k today I bumped into somebody who it turned out was Jibber Jabber (sometimes OTP), who wasn't but happened to be riding along NCN 1.

He mentioned that he would be keen on joining in if we were anywhere near Chelmsford and doing a shorter ride/earlier pub arrival.  Maybe one for OD's 2 rides one pub idea he nicked from Portsmouth.

:thumbsup: :)
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6734 on: 11 May, 2015, 02:51:38 pm »
Where to this week?  Chelmsford perhaps so we can meet up with jiberjaber?  You Colchester / Mersea types could use the train to get home.

« Reply #6735 on: 11 May, 2015, 03:52:48 pm »
I am hurling myself down the rapids at Lee Valley in the name of corporate "entertainment" in the afternoon so Chelmsford could be ideal.

None of this more miles less beer until after the Flatlands though...

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6736 on: 11 May, 2015, 05:04:51 pm »
Three Elms, Chignall St James [scotch eggs, pork scratchings etc  :thumbsup:] that's almost Chelmsford...

We can do the 'initiation ritual' if any newer MEMWNS-ers are brave enough...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6737 on: 11 May, 2015, 05:09:48 pm »
Three Elms, Chignall St James [scotch eggs, pork scratchings etc  :thumbsup:] that's almost Chelmsford...

We can do the 'initiation ritual' if any newer MEMWNS-ers are brave enough...

There goes tedshred's plea for...
None of this more miles less beer until after the Flatlands though...
;D
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #6738 on: 11 May, 2015, 05:14:40 pm »
Except I'll be starting off from Chelmsford  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6739 on: 11 May, 2015, 05:26:39 pm »
The Three Elms at Chignall St James, being as it is, 2.4 miles from my abode, gets my vote   :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6740 on: 11 May, 2015, 07:01:19 pm »
Well, The Three Elms it is then  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6741 on: 11 May, 2015, 07:05:09 pm »
Who'd like to drop jiberjaber a PM to break the good news to him?  Perhaps ted as he's met the gent?

Oh and another thought, isn't there some comedy off-roading to had on the way to The Three Elms?  My A&S befuddled brain is struggling to recall.

« Reply #6742 on: 11 May, 2015, 07:34:07 pm »
It's a whopping 3.6 miles from my office so I should just about make it there and back.

I'll assume an ETA of about 9pm.

I shouldn't even need "Bobb the Machine" and "AndyC the Animal" to drag me along like they did on Sunday morning.  I swear I heard AndyC laughing and shouting "call this a hill" as we went up Burnt Dick Hill - I was that far behind I couldn't be sure though  :facepalm:

« Reply #6743 on: 11 May, 2015, 07:38:03 pm »
Who'd like to drop jiberjaber a PM to break the good news to him?  Perhaps ted as he's met the gent?

tick

The Retiree

« Reply #6744 on: 11 May, 2015, 07:39:43 pm »
Or there's the Orange Tree which currently has this selection on tap http://the-ot.com/mindex.php  :thumbsup: #justsaying

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #6745 on: 11 May, 2015, 07:55:22 pm »

I shouldn't even need "Bobb the Machine" and "AndyC the Animal" to drag me along like they did on Sunday morning.  I swear I heard AndyC laughing and shouting "call this a hill" as we went up Burnt Dick Hill - I was that far behind I couldn't be sure though  :facepalm:

The mad ravings of a lunatic

« Reply #6746 on: 11 May, 2015, 08:06:28 pm »
Or there's the Orange Tree which currently has this selection on tap http://the-ot.com/mindex.php  :thumbsup: #justsaying

Silent Mike always has a good selection but that's even closer to my office.

Maybe we could plan some sort of Cycling/Orange Tree/curry/Orange Tree/train evening for post SR.  Let's not forget the Ale House as well.  There is secure parking and showers at my office which is next to Chelmsford station.

I am physically and mentally moving like a not very healthy 90 year old at the moment but I'm sure one of the great minds of MEMWNS could come up with a plan that probably throws in TMNH and Hurrells as well...

« Reply #6747 on: 11 May, 2015, 08:10:27 pm »
I am physically and mentally moving like a not very healthy 90 year old at the moment
What have you been doing?  ::-)
I feel great, went out earlier for a short spin and then a shopping trip.  :demon:

« Reply #6748 on: 11 May, 2015, 08:59:42 pm »

What have you been doing?  ::-)
I feel great, went out earlier for a short spin and then a shopping trip.  :demon:
[/quote]

No idea, must have been all that sitting around looking slightly dazed that I did yesterday.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6749 on: 12 May, 2015, 09:33:15 am »
I am sniffling and sneezing like a good un at the moment, but the good news is that its only 4 miles from home, so I may be able fit in a 20 mile leisurely circuit from home round Grt Waltham, Pleshey and then returning through Chignall St James for refreshments subject to my nostrils working and the rest of my breathing apparatus not being too badly effected.....  http://cycle.travel/map/journey/12251

I can confirm the eggs are good there...

Regards,

Joergen