Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750405 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #2000 on: 07 June, 2011, 10:36:28 pm »
Sounds like I might be North Hilling it alone tomorrow night then!
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2001 on: 08 June, 2011, 04:13:39 pm »
Oaky, I might have joined you on NH as we're out with friends in Maldon tonight but I won't get away with cycling over there  ::-)
Sounds like I might be North Hilling it alone tomorrow night then!

We could do NH, OD, if you're not keen on seeing any newbies again  ;)
At the risk of saying 'ditto' again.......I'm not out this Wednesday either but the rest of the month will probably be okay.
[Next Wednesday of course is OD's Witham Led Ride evening, not that my observation in any way contravenes the Advance Planning sub-clause of the MEMWNS constitution]

Ahhh, someone that's paying attention!  I'm thinking North Hill  :demon:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2002 on: 11 June, 2011, 08:15:09 am »
Unless I come up with a better idea I shall be taking my Witham Cycling newbies to The Hurdlemakers via North Hill next Wednesday.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2003 on: 12 June, 2011, 05:01:03 pm »
Unless I come up with a better idea I shall be taking my Witham Cycling newbies to The Hurdlemakers via North Hill next Wednesday.
I hope you have suitably prepared them and told them nothing of the task planned for them   ;)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2004 on: 12 June, 2011, 05:50:59 pm »
I have mentioned North Hill and my Wednesday evening rides are billed as faster and longer. Will you be joining us Huggy dear?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2005 on: 13 June, 2011, 12:11:21 am »

Sounds like a good evening to me ... back via Woodham Mortimer and Ulting or the reverse of the outbound?

I may not be there, but mrs_o might be.  (I have traded Wednesday night for Thursday nigh in my pass schedule for this week so that I can stay at/near work and watch this.)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2006 on: 13 June, 2011, 06:15:25 am »
I think a flatter route home might be good. Looking forward to seeing Mrs O.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2007 on: 13 June, 2011, 08:08:55 am »
I have mentioned North Hill and my Wednesday evening rides are billed as faster and longer. Will you be joining us Huggy dear?

I will be joining you, if only as an example of how one can be led astray on a Wednesday MEMWNS ride  :thumbsup:
Plus, I'm strangely missing NH after a week off......wonder if a double ascent is in order on Milano....

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2008 on: 13 June, 2011, 08:24:02 am »
 :thumbsup: Huggy!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2009 on: 13 June, 2011, 09:05:49 am »
Can you believe that this corresponding ride last year was my first experience of cycling to the pub for some friendly beers and then subsequently regular Wednesday, longer rides and challenges, most also involving beer.
Only a year......seems so much longer!!
 ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2010 on: 13 June, 2011, 10:23:40 am »
 :smug:

JOC

« Reply #2011 on: 13 June, 2011, 09:12:31 pm »
Only done a couple of minor memwns I know but def not out this week or next. Wife in for op later this week and will be on nursing duty for some time, but hopefully will be easier after next week.... should be able to prop her up in front of the telly for a few hours  ;) while I get a few miles in...
cheers
joc

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2012 on: 14 June, 2011, 07:37:35 am »
   Hope all goes well with Mrs JOC's op and I wish her a good recovery.

I shall be treating the ride to The Hurdlemaker's as a recovery ride after last weekend's 600! I'll aim to arrive early and leave likewise, no more sleep dep. this week thank you!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2013 on: 14 June, 2011, 08:03:59 am »
... I'll aim to arrive early and leave likewise ...

Same here, I take my Pillock of the Community role seriously and aim to get everyone back to Witham by 10:30 / 11:00.  I'm guessing we will be at the pub by 8:30.

« Reply #2014 on: 15 June, 2011, 04:18:53 pm »
There's a chance that I'll be at the Hurdlemakers tonight!!     ??? :o 

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2015 on: 15 June, 2011, 04:49:08 pm »
You bringling the dog and Pashley Princess, Del?

« Reply #2016 on: 15 June, 2011, 04:56:46 pm »
Frankly I'll be lucky to get myself there on the galaxy!
The Pashley is too small and the dog is too big! (would still like a bakfiets or Bullitt for dog duty)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2017 on: 15 June, 2011, 05:02:02 pm »
 ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2018 on: 15 June, 2011, 06:16:54 pm »
Hmm, wondering if it will be a case of MEMWNS meets Great Dunmow Book Club this evening  ::-)

« Reply #2019 on: 15 June, 2011, 06:20:07 pm »
Hmm, wondering if it will be a case of MEMWNS meets Great Dunmow Book Club this evening  ::-)
I shall bring along, for I shall be there (the dishevelled heap in the corner) Collins Gem, Trees.
A quick review:
A strange book that contains neither hero nor heroine. Has tree information though.  ;)

« Reply #2020 on: 16 June, 2011, 07:22:25 am »
That was fun! I don't know what the others had for a drink but OD and myself sucked off a couple of Sherpas.  :o 
The MEMWNS/Dunmow book club got to the bar first and then exchanged books.  ::-)  I must say that pop up books have got thinner since I was at pre school, maybe they can compress them more now.

I didn't see much of the eclipse but did get a poor shot of it.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2021 on: 16 June, 2011, 05:28:12 pm »
It was indeed a smashing night.  My primary reason for being there was to lead a bunch of Witham Cycling folk on one of our regular led rides.  The Wednesday evening rides are billed as faster and longer than the Sunday rides so I thought it was acceptable to lead them up North Hill through Little Baddow, which is the biggest hill around these parts.

Everyone survived the ascent and we made it to The Hurdlemakers Arms, Woodham Mortimer in good time.  Whereupon we met up with Del and Tomsk.

As Del mentioned we did indeed sample some of the Mighty Oak Brewing Company's Sherpa Tenzing ale - yummy!  I phoned the brewery today to see it there was an auspicous reason for honouring Tenzing with his own brew.  The lady I spoke to said they have problems coming up with new beer names and they brewed this particular one on 29th May which was the date in 1953 that Tenzing got to the top of Everest.  Given a few of us got to the top of North Hill for the first time what else could we drink ...?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2022 on: 17 June, 2011, 01:52:44 pm »
Ok, so not mid week and it will be during the day but......
I have some unexpected time tomorrow during which I am on planning a ride out, albeit likely to be a little damp at times.

Is anyone else in the parish up for a daytime ride of approximately 4 hours, something like this?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2023 on: 17 June, 2011, 02:00:55 pm »
The Oaky gang and us are out tomorrow. Not sure of the route but it won't as long as yours. You could always call us to see where we are and what we're up to.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2024 on: 18 June, 2011, 04:40:05 pm »
The Oaky gang and us are out tomorrow. Not sure of the route but it won't as long as yours. You could always call us to see where we are and what we're up to.

I saw someone that looked very much like you going down North Hill this morning  :o

My route was pretty much as expected with one ammendment enroute to avoid a muddy bridlepath that bikeroutetoaster thought it would be funny to take my 23mm wheels down  :)

Miles duly logged with the TFL Cycle Challenge to put the yACF team at the top of the 2-10 members leaderboard  ;D