Author Topic: 26" Rims for touring tandem?  (Read 2281 times)

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
26" Rims for touring tandem?
« on: 15 February, 2009, 07:23:59 pm »
Back-story: So, having had a whale of a time out on the new tandem yesterday, we went out to the garage to give her a gentle fettle and rub down, and there was poor old Dobbin, giving us those big soppy dewy eyes and generally seeking attention, bless him

We couldn't ignore him, and began work on the major refit we've been promising him once he was relieved of day ride duties. (Not to mention washing off salt still on him from Watership down  :-[)

The current Sun Rhyno 48 hole rims, having done ~7500 miles, appear to be down to 1mm thickness, from >1.6 (?) (fairly quick wear considering we have drag brake, but we have used shimano pads which apparently wear the rims more)

I would jump right out and get a new set of Sun Rhynos, but it looks like they were discontinued last year.
1) Anyone have strong recommendations for good heavier touring tandem Rims?
2) Anyone advice on ceramic walled products, specifically, we're eying up these
Rigida Andra 30 Tungsten Carbide 26 Inch / 559 Rim

Things 1 & 2

Re: 26" Rims for touring tandem?
« Reply #1 on: 15 February, 2009, 07:25:33 pm »
there was poor old Dobbin, giving us the big soppy dewy eyes and generally seeking attention, bless him

Aww, Dobbin  :'( :'(

rdaviesb

« Reply #2 on: 16 February, 2009, 11:53:59 pm »
The Rigidas are great rims, and the ceramic coating is definitely worth going for. Don't forget to get the right brake blocks at the same time.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 17 February, 2009, 08:58:39 am »
I'm sure that they are what we've got on our tandem.

Swissstop Blue brake blocks, from SJS, lasted us 4000 miles. And they stopped us as well.

Except of course because we've got a Rohloff on the back we've only got 32 spokes.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #4 on: 18 February, 2009, 03:06:28 pm »
Excellent thanks for the info. I called SJS, apparently it's Tungsten Carbide *in* the rim rather than a ceramic coating, but they're very much the one they recommend.

Now I just need to get the drag break off the hub, before sending it off for rebuild. First attempt (putting some M10 bolts through, to leaver against) snapped a piece off the edge of the heat sink! opps.