Author Topic: Anybody after a Tandem (Dawes Super Galaxy)  (Read 7256 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Anybody after a Tandem (Dawes Super Galaxy)
« on: 26 September, 2008, 09:21:55 am »
Just had to drop off Mrs T's car at the garage for it's MOt and on the way back I stopped at the local auction house, which is selling today.

Amongst the BSO's there is a Dawes Super Galaxy Tandem with cantis up front, a V and a drum brake at the back.

Any one interested? From what I remember they don't go for very much round here (it's not really a big tandemming community!)

PM if interested.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Re: Anybody after a Tandem (Dawes Super Galaxy)
« Reply #1 on: 26 September, 2008, 09:23:03 am »
What size, do you know?
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

tiermat

« Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2008, 09:31:44 am »
Looks similar size to my road bike(I tried the two side by side), so I would say 22" front and rear.

Also looks sound, albeit in need of a good clean and lube.

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 26 September, 2008, 11:08:11 am »
We already have one, I'm pleased to say.  :D  Wouldn't mind another, but my bank manager would have something to say on the subject. :(
Getting there...

tiermat

« Reply #4 on: 26 September, 2008, 12:07:24 pm »
OK, so been for another look, it's made of Reynolds 531, and looks like this:

Sorry for the blurry photo, but I took it with my phone.

The front wheel is in good nick, but the back could probably do with re-spoking and the drum brake is not currently connected.

tiermat

« Reply #5 on: 26 September, 2008, 04:49:35 pm »
Well that's gone and done it, hasn't it? I've only gone and bought it, and a Scott Yacora...

How do I explain this to Mrs T? :(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 26 September, 2008, 04:53:04 pm »
Um.  Perhaps I can let it slip when I'm delivering the trailerbike? ;)
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7 on: 26 September, 2008, 06:03:21 pm »
Well that's gone and done it, hasn't it? I've only gone and bought it, and a Scott Yacora...

How do I explain this to Mrs T? :(

Say "Would you like to come for a ride on the tandem?" and when she says "Which tandem?" you reply "The one we are going to do LEJoG on!" Worked for me.

Edit: I must emphasise that my remarks were directed to Mrs Wow, not Mrs. Tiermat. The term "Mrs. T." has other, much less favourable, associations in my mind.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #8 on: 26 September, 2008, 06:09:56 pm »
How much?

« Reply #9 on: 26 September, 2008, 06:12:05 pm »
Bring her (and Mrs T!) along to the Random Tandem Ride on 19 October! :)

tiermat

« Reply #10 on: 26 September, 2008, 06:26:48 pm »
How much?

An embarrasing low amount, for what it is.

Just given it a check over and all it really needs, apart from a good clean and lube up, is the wheels trueing and new cable for the drag brake.

Is it normal on a tandem to have both front and back brakes connected to one lever?

« Reply #11 on: 26 September, 2008, 06:52:56 pm »
OK, so been for another look, it's made of Reynolds 531, and looks like this:

Sorry for the blurry photo, but I took it with my phone.

The front wheel is in good nick, but the back could probably do with re-spoking and the drum brake is not currently connected.

Chain's a bit slack.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #12 on: 26 September, 2008, 07:29:04 pm »
Welcome to the world of tandeming.

Is it normal on a tandem to have both front and back brakes connected to one lever?

No

You should change that before you ride it! The front and back rim brakes should operate from separate levers as on a solo. The drum brake is usually operated by the captain using a friction lever such as an old MTB thumbie or a bar end lever. Some tandems are set up with the drum brake operated by the stoker via a normal brake lever. This is usually where the captain has great trust in the stoker, but the stoker has little trust in the captain. ;D

tiermat

« Reply #13 on: 26 September, 2008, 07:33:47 pm »
Thanks Chris, I thought it was a bad idea, and messy looking too!

Lady Tiermat (notice the subtle change of designation? Better? )has decided that she might quite like to try tandemming, especially if she can get one of those devices that means the stoker can freewheel whilst the captain does all the pedalling!

So it might not be for sale for a while yet, at east not until LT has had her first (and probably last) go on the tandem :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #14 on: 26 September, 2008, 07:42:53 pm »
When we bought our Claud Butler on ebay, that had both brakes operated by one lever. It was awful, and the first thing I got rid of when I put straight bars on it. I gave Mrs Wow the privilege of a brake lever for the drum, but I'm not sure how great an idea that was.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Viv

• Are we having fun yet?
    • Lythgo
« Reply #15 on: 20 April, 2012, 02:29:43 pm »
I have a Dawes Super Galaxy 531 tandem. It has two independent V brakes operated by the pilot plus a drum drag brake operated by the stoker. No problems.