Author Topic: How to store a velomobile  (Read 2283 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
How to store a velomobile
« on: 04 October, 2019, 12:57:10 pm »

I keep getting tempted by velomobiles. Currently I store my bikes in the flat, taking them up vertically in a lift (1mx1m footprint). Obviously this wouldn't work with a velomobile. There is a basement area I could use, but it's accessed by 7 stairs.

Is it plausible to take a velomobile up and down 7 stairs every time I want to go for a ride? I'm happy to put in wheel channels to make it easier to go up and down (tho it would have to be something I use then put away each time, as it's communal stairs.

If this doesn't work, then about the only other option would be getting a parking permit, buying a really cheap van, parking it, and storing the velo in the van... cos that's logical...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: How to store a velomobile
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2019, 02:19:42 pm »
That has to be the best justification for buying a van I've ever heard ;D

Phil W

« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2019, 05:31:59 pm »
Most velomobiles are around 30kg so I'd be a bit of a workout to get one up and down the stairs every time you took it out for a ride.  Is it 7 flights of stairs or 7 steps?  With a second person probably manageable .

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2019, 05:34:03 pm »
Most velo mobiles are around 30kg so I'd be a bit of a workout to get one up and down the stairs every time you took it out for a ride.  Is it 7 flights of stairs or 7 steps?  With a second person probably manageable .

7 Steps.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2019, 05:35:45 pm »
Most velo mobiles are around 30kg so I'd be a bit of a workout to get one up and down the stairs every time you took it out for a ride.  Is it 7 flights of stairs or 7 steps?  With a second person probably manageable .

7 Steps.

J

Probably manageable then if you can get a second person to help.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 04 October, 2019, 05:45:51 pm »
The real question is how much space do you have to make the ramp gradient shallow enough that the nose doesn't ground?

Otherwise, yes, a two-person lift.  You'd probably want some sensible grab point on the front of your velomobile if you were making a habit of it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 04 October, 2019, 05:48:54 pm »
Presumably you'd also need a ramp to get it in and out of a van (in the absence of an ever present friend). How long that would need to be in order to avoid the grounding problem, hopefully someone will be able to tell you.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7 on: 04 October, 2019, 05:57:41 pm »
How are you planning to get it to and from events?

A motorised box with wheels may turn out to be useful.

« Reply #8 on: 04 October, 2019, 08:00:58 pm »

can you install a pulley if a helpful friend can't be relied upon?

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #9 on: 04 October, 2019, 09:05:03 pm »
Otherwise, yes, a two-person lift.  You'd probably want some sensible grab point on the front of your velomobile if you were making a habit of it.

Rubber-coated gloves are sufficient for a good grip when lifting the front of a velomobile.  Usually the trick is to lift the front, Atlas stones style, and roll the machine backwards.  This is how I transfer my Quest from the ground to the roof of a car; the technique was from John Quill:

Taking a velo up and down seven steps with ramp deployment each time might get old pretty quickly.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #10 on: 04 October, 2019, 09:32:32 pm »
Manhandling them is a bit of a faff, even mine that weighs 26kg. It takes two people and you have to lift it quite high else the nose scrapes.

I have to lift mine up one step to get into the garden for maintenance days and that is a pain.

Cornering down narrow passages is also very tricky.

We have rented a second garage which was our only option really. Some people leave them outside with a motorbike cover but that still risks people playing with them.

QG, if you fancy a look at four different ones, we are 20km from Venlo railway station. A nice little train trip!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 04 October, 2019, 10:11:07 pm »
QG, if you fancy a look at four different ones, we are 20km from Venlo railway station. A nice little train trip!

I also note that QG and AH are both a little bit taller than me, so you'd be a reasonable fit in hers and unlikely to need a periscope.