Author Topic: joystick on a bike  (Read 1160 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
joystick on a bike
« on: 01 June, 2010, 08:53:36 pm »
Ok, so as I ponder improvements to the grasshopper, I return to the potentially daft notion of fitting a joystick for steering. I currently have USS and because of a dodgy shoulder, I have to repeatedly lift my right arm onto my belly to rest it. I'll no doubt get some more physio to it at some point, but that's not the point, and excuse for a project is an excuse, right?

So, questions to the collective, for discussion, dissection or just plain ridicule (Hey, I ride a 'bent, I'm used to ridicule  ::-))

I have some poorly formed idea that I'll use a bent bit of pipe somehow pivoted on the main tube and will work via a right angle bracket attached to the current steering linkage (I'm going to have to admit defeat at some point in this description and draw a picture, but bare with me for a bit :)) the steering will be achieved by right/left movement of the joystick and by the use of an offset pivot point on the RA bracket, there will be a logarithmically amplified movement into the steering link.

Ok, that's the basic outline. Engineering needing further work are (in no specific order);-
the mounting point for the joystick, the divert of joystick input to steering bracket, the logarithmical linkage (this to desensitise the inputs close to the centre line), the mounting of the brakes and gear twist, allowing for/aft movement of the joystick (could this be utilised for breaking input?)

Other considerations;-
Will it be possible to ride a bike with a joystick rather than bars, do I need to allow for/aft movement of the joystick, what about mirror mounting points, and computer/phone mounting points, will it be comfortable to ride???

So have I missed anything? do you think I've fallen off too many times (should I have worn a helmet :o)? Is the whole thing a totally flawed concept. Go on, share your thoughts  8)

Cheers,

The Bearded one

For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Fiona N

Re: joystick on a bike
« Reply #1 on: 01 June, 2010, 09:13:31 pm »
Hi Beardy
I ride a Windcheetah which does itself have a joystick, although the function is not quite as you desire (rotation around the axis). I don't know whether you're familiar with the Windcheetah trike (or Burrows Speedy as was) but the steering is direct with a universal joint located on the main tube/front wheel mounting intersection. This means that the steering is very quick - fun when you're used to it - so I can understand your wanting the log amp in the system. Even so, I also ride a Speedmachine with USS and find it hard to imagine being able to control it with a joystick even if the linkage was 'damped'. Mind you I've always found USS much more intuitive balance-wise than OSS, especially the tiller handlebars which act in a quite joystick fashion. Have you tried riding one of these machines - a Challenge Hurricane, say, before seeing whether it's desirable?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: joystick on a bike
« Reply #2 on: 02 June, 2010, 09:31:16 am »
A lad named Anthony Shingler once built a bike with a fore-and-aft-moving joystick.  Both he and his father mastered it eventually but no-one else could get more than two feet before falling off.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime