Author Topic: Inappropriate cycling stock photos  (Read 8895 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Inappropriate cycling stock photos
« on: 20 June, 2019, 09:43:23 pm »
(Inspired by this post.)

You know the sort of thing:  The local council announces 50p for cycling infrastructure and/or a 2-hour $kyRide-type event on the last Sunday in June when everyone's on holiday.  The local news reports it, illustrating the article with a stock photo of Bradley Wiggins[1] winning the Tour.

Bonus points for the inverse phenomenon, illustrating a high-end sportive or race with pictures of some canary-clad recent Bikeability graduates in the local park or similar.

People modelling cycling equipment who looks suspiciously like they've never ridden a bike in their life are also eligible [but not as much as the designers of cycle clothing that doesn't fit people with quads - Ed.], as are sufficiently entertaining pictures of inappropriate or dangerous equipment (think bike adverts with the forks on backwards).

What have you got...

[1] Averted if Mr Wiggins will actually be present at the event.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Inappropriate cycling stock photos
« Reply #1 on: 20 June, 2019, 11:10:28 pm »

What does this photo depict? A sportive? Charity ride? Tour of Britain perhaps? Yes, probably. Certainly they all look slick and sleek. But according to the Bristol Post it's an Extinction Rebellion mass ride. https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/traffic-cyclists-bristol-extinction-rebellion-2999411 Somehow I don't expect the actual event to look quite the same.

(I know there's a link in the OP but hey it kicks the thread off.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 20 June, 2019, 11:49:36 pm »
Found it!

https://www.cyclinguk.org/news/take-part-first-depth-survey-e-bikes-uk

I mean, sure, it is an e-bike.  And it's a pretty cool photo.  But it hardly seems representative of e-bike users in general.

Ben T

« Reply #3 on: 21 June, 2019, 08:59:55 am »

What does this photo depict? A sportive? Charity ride? Tour of Britain perhaps? Yes, probably. Certainly they all look slick and sleek. But according to the Bristol Post it's an Extinction Rebellion mass ride. https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/traffic-cyclists-bristol-extinction-rebellion-2999411 Somehow I don't expect the actual event to look quite the same.

(I know there's a link in the OP but hey it kicks the thread off.)

not even in focus  ::-)

« Reply #4 on: 21 June, 2019, 10:25:48 am »

not even in focus  ::-)

That's so you can't identify riders by their legs

« Reply #5 on: 21 June, 2019, 10:35:13 am »
Special points for the one of a woman rock-climbing in arrivee?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 21 June, 2019, 10:49:49 am »
<OT>
Most inappropriate photo I ever saw was in a 70s computer brochure which showed a beaming young lady in a white coat about to load a reel of punched tape onto a mag tape drive.
</OT>
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #7 on: 21 June, 2019, 02:28:22 pm »
Stock photo of a road peloton for a news article about wire traps set in woods for mountain bikers... No doubt the photo used was to encourage "Anti Lycra Lout" comments in response...

https://www.dunfermlinepress.com/news/17707305.wire-trap-set-for-cyclists-in-woods-near-dalgety-bay/

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 21 June, 2019, 06:23:51 pm »
[Not cycling]

I have a bugbear about inappropriate medical stock images; one showed chickenpox in an article about measles; another showed a HUGE syringe for immunisation and a third showed somebody grasping a needle used for blood sampling.

Phil W

« Reply #9 on: 21 June, 2019, 06:32:24 pm »
<OT>
Most inappropriate photo I ever saw was in a 70s computer brochure which showed a beaming young lady in a white coat about to load a reel of punched tape onto a mag tape drive.
</OT>

Jesus, that would have caused the early Internet to collapse into a wormhole to the 1650s.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 21 June, 2019, 08:38:33 pm »
Special points for the one of a woman rock-climbing in arrivee?
I presumed she submitted that herself? It was a sort of "mini-bio" article of someone new-to-audaxing, IIRC. I didn't see a problem at the time.  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #11 on: 22 June, 2019, 09:31:57 am »
At a previous employer, we were art-working and printing some posters for Evans Cycles.
For reasons best known to himself the art worker flipped the image of the bike and rider, which left the drive train on the left hand side of the bike, and that's how it went to print.
A bit curious given that the art worker was a cyclist himself...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 22 June, 2019, 12:57:22 pm »
[Neither cycling nor photography]

A friend shared some paintings an uncle, a Royal Academician, had made, that were in a gallery in New York.

These depicted a woodwind musician with right hand above left.

Artist's sister was an eminent oboist.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13 on: 22 June, 2019, 01:13:10 pm »
<OT>
</OT>

Jesus, that would have caused the early Internet to collapse into a wormhole to the 1650s.

Actually, that's where Baudot code came from.

I once came upon a colleague pressing the end of the tape up to one ear as it crunched out of our rather slow punch.  He moved slowly backwards until he was halfway across the room and had around ten feet of tape hanging there like a skipping-rope.  Then he passed the end to me and said "Listen!  Data transmission!"

Great days, gone forever.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #14 on: 22 June, 2019, 01:27:58 pm »
At a previous employer, we were art-working and printing some posters for Evans Cycles.
For reasons best known to himself the art worker flipped the image of the bike and rider, which left the drive train on the left hand side of the bike, and that's how it went to print.

Did that Woollypigs OTP not have a hack bike, yclept Stella, on which he's placed the drive train to the left?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #15 on: 22 June, 2019, 02:25:22 pm »

Did that Woollypigs OTP not have a hack bike, yclept Stella, on which he's placed the drive train to the left?

Indeed.
He did.
Always a wrong'un, him.  ;)

« Reply #16 on: 22 June, 2019, 03:01:09 pm »
Yes he did and, when asked why (on a Brighton FNRttC), responded with the only possible answer "Because I can."
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #17 on: 22 June, 2019, 03:14:14 pm »
Yes he did and, when asked why (on a Brighton FNRttC), responded with the only possible answer "Because I can."
I remember that ride. It was the bit between Portnalls and Reigate Hill that I looked, then looked again and asked him 'what the f*ck is going on there?' (or words to that effect).

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #18 on: 25 June, 2019, 01:32:36 pm »

I have a photo somewhere from when I was an air cadet, of a whole bank of us with our beret badges above our right eyes for exactly the same reason.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens