Author Topic: Zwifting - I think I need help!  (Read 75294 times)

Re: Zwifting - I think I need help!
« Reply #50 on: 11 January, 2021, 08:51:16 pm »
Tried Zwift again on a group ride 3R True2 Steady Ride [2.0w/kg avg] and found it quite engaging.  There were a solid group going well over 2W/kg but it was relatively easy to keep the ride leader in sight.  I even managed to slide backwards ready for the sprint and came 59th out of 270 which for me is pretty good as I am not a natural sprinter.

I had the app open but did not manage to chat but certainly more engaging than just riding on my own round watopia!

« Reply #51 on: 11 January, 2021, 09:57:17 pm »
Try the Tour de Zwift. I think the sportives/fondos are among the best things on Zwift, and I've never ridden a real sportive, although I have done Audax events.

Just avoid the most heavily-subscribed ones. They get issues with lag that produce effects that are alternately infuriating and laughable.

Chris S

« Reply #52 on: 12 January, 2021, 09:25:50 am »
Just avoid the most heavily-subscribed ones. They get issues with lag that produce effects that are alternately infuriating and laughable.

Still being attached to the virtual turbo you have in the start pen, as you ride the course, is always a favourite.

« Reply #53 on: 12 January, 2021, 09:36:06 am »
I think I'm alone now..

« Reply #54 on: 12 January, 2021, 01:28:29 pm »
Still being attached to the virtual turbo you have in the start pen, as you ride the course, is always a favourite.
Oh, that's one I've not seen yet. I meant mass pile-ups, people riding in the wrong direction, people cycling in the adjacent lake instead of on the road, riderless bikes, riderless haircuts, and of course the whole thing just slowing to a crawl (the infuriating bit).

« Reply #55 on: 12 January, 2021, 09:13:30 pm »
I was pleased to discover a 3rd party app called Zwifthub.  It actually gives a detailed description of each ride which I find very useful and something the official app lacks.

Good explanation here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgSfajJzW6M&feature=youtu.be

You can maintain  your record on it but at the moment only through manual input, which is still a useful feature.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #56 on: 12 January, 2021, 10:15:47 pm »
That's amazing. He's spot on. All the information and features that should be in Zwift.

The video mentions an app, but I can't find an Android one. Does it still exist, or do you just use the site directly now?

« Reply #57 on: 13 January, 2021, 08:02:30 am »
I just use the site. It's not really all the routes on ZH, it doesn't include a fair number of race /event specials.

I have 2 riding and one running route left.

#endgame

« Reply #58 on: 13 January, 2021, 08:07:25 am »
To be fair, Zwift doesn't list the event-only routes either, and I don't think you get achievement badges for those?

« Reply #59 on: 13 January, 2021, 08:39:03 am »
No. They're described on Zwift Insider if you need to do homework.

« Reply #60 on: 13 January, 2021, 10:05:35 am »
That's amazing. He's spot on. All the information and features that should be in Zwift.

The video mentions an app, but I can't find an Android one. Does it still exist, or do you just use the site directly now?

I am still trying to find it. 

Zwift Insider does have a lot of info but I find it clunky and hard to use.  Having almost a thumbnail approach to the rides is much smarter.

Yes, I do homework, I don't understand the 'if'.  I am still a beginner on Zwift, really so any hints and tips are appreciated.

Chris S

« Reply #61 on: 13 January, 2021, 11:11:01 am »
Yes, I do homework, I don't understand the 'if'.  I am still a beginner on Zwift, really so any hints and tips are appreciated.

I'm a big fan of Youtube videos, and GPLama (Shane Miller) is your man for all things Zwift: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MI7Jfamd-Q

« Reply #62 on: 13 January, 2021, 12:00:15 pm »

I think that when he mentions an app he is talking about the Zwift Companion App which is available on Android and is useful.

Towards the end of the video he visits the mobile version of Zwifthub.com on the browser on his phone.  Is that what you are thinking of?

« Reply #63 on: 13 January, 2021, 01:38:09 pm »
Yes, maybe I got confused. I have the Zwift Companion, although I've never tried using it in rides; I'm on a small tablet screen for those, and I've enough to do riding and looking at that, never mind having a phone as well with the Companion. It's good afterwards though.

Haven't tried ZwiftHub on a tablet yet, but I will.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #64 on: 13 January, 2021, 02:01:06 pm »
Zwift Companion is very useful for a scalable, better map than the one on the main screen. It also allows you to interact directly with other Zwifters.

« Reply #65 on: 15 January, 2021, 08:11:56 am »
How on earth do the Pace partners make it so compelling?

I just did 30 minutes of pace partner riding at the 2.5-3.1 level and found it utterly compelling. Just did 25 minutes and forgot to put the fan on but it was great.

Looking at my stats on Zwift it is 3 years since I last rode on it and I do think the quality of image has improved a lot.  Much more detail and "realistic".

Chris S

« Reply #66 on: 15 January, 2021, 08:53:51 am »
"Immersive" is the gaming term of choice  :)

« Reply #67 on: 15 January, 2021, 09:07:13 am »
I know that it is 'only a game' but I found it really off-putting that one of the avatars that I was riding with for some time on yesterday evening's TdZ ride up Ven-Top wasn't pedalling while I was slogging my guts out!

Davef

« Reply #68 on: 15 January, 2021, 09:36:50 am »
I know that it is 'only a game' but I found it really off-putting that one of the avatars that I was riding with for some time on yesterday evening's TdZ ride up Ven-Top wasn't pedalling while I was slogging my guts out!
Clearly sneaked an e-bike past the commissars

« Reply #69 on: 15 January, 2021, 09:46:39 am »
Brave of you to go for the 'Longer' ride  :thumbsup:  My knee's playing up a bit at the moment (dodgy patellar tracking) so I'm going to rest up and hopefully it'll be a bit better by Monday so that I can sneak a quick ride up the Alpe!

« Reply #70 on: 15 January, 2021, 02:05:02 pm »
Brave of you to go for the 'Longer' ride  :thumbsup:  My knee's playing up a bit at the moment (dodgy patellar tracking) so I'm going to rest up and hopefully it'll be a bit better by Monday so that I can sneak a quick ride up the Alpe!

It is an audax thing ::-)   It looks like the 'B' ride was only about 15 minutes shorter for my power output.  I found it very difficult to get into any kind of rhythm on the climb.  I guess that is due to the gradient variations (and chasing people).

I hope your knee sorts itself out!

« Reply #71 on: 15 January, 2021, 04:07:34 pm »
Drop your weight to 45kg and your height to the lowest. This will help on the climbs and on the flats.
Does this apply to all the riders that cant match Zwift average speed in the great outdoors. its amusing when you meet some of them .

« Reply #72 on: 15 January, 2021, 05:06:15 pm »
Clearly sneaked an e-bike past the commissars
They do say that, on Zwift, e-bikes are done by attaching a power drill to your BB axle. Which would, of course, provide the impression of pedalling like fury. I'm not sure how you would freewheel uphill, even on Zwift.

It looks like the 'B' ride was only about 15 minutes shorter for my power output.
The different rides do seem to be very close in actual time/distance. The last round were too. I've never done Ven Top, so you've given me an indication of the difficulty compared to the Alpe, at least for the section used for the event. I'm intending to do one route or another this weekend.

« Reply #73 on: 15 January, 2021, 07:21:56 pm »
Drop your weight to 45kg and your height to the lowest. This will help on the climbs and on the flats.
Does this apply to all the riders that cant match Zwift average speed in the great outdoors. its amusing when you meet some of them .

Doing 3w/kg down 8% to stay in the slipstream of a guy doing 0w/kg.  On the flat, eat my dust, punk.  Happened twice now, both yanks.

I don't care if people pull stunts on Zwift.  So long as I am fit and able in June when(if?) I cycle in the real Alps.

« Reply #74 on: 15 January, 2021, 08:42:56 pm »
It is an audax thing ::-)   It looks like the 'B' ride was only about 15 minutes shorter for my power output.  I found it very difficult to get into any kind of rhythm on the climb.  I guess that is due to the gradient variations (and chasing people).

I hope your knee sorts itself out!
Cheers Jon.  My wife gave me a chit to ride tonight, and the knee was feeling pretty loose so I gave it a whirl and knocked more than eight minutes off my previous time to clock a long 57.  :)