Author Topic: Bromptons: coming down  (Read 9448 times)

Bromptons: coming down
« on: 13 December, 2020, 03:33:23 pm »
Altho not a Brompton owner, I seem to be to follow the brand,the bike and all things Brompton.

Have I got things wrong here: I seem to see the used Brompton price falling these days. Some 8 weeks back I noticed used Brompton prices rising. Then,high covid,factory shut and wotnot,prices seemed on a steady incline. Nowadays,used Brompton prices seem to be declining.

I would welcome a Brompton myself,but couldnt leave the bike unattended for hours in my city without taking medication. People can say take it shopping with you. It's not that easy. With my sit-up-and beg step-thru bike there's no worries when I leave it locked near town. Lock and forget. I dont think I could do this with any Brompton and wouldnt expect to be able to do so until Brompton prices(already falling?)came down to sub £200. And really,at that price, they might lose their appeal to me.

What's others views?

Re: Bromptons: coming down
« Reply #1 on: 13 December, 2020, 04:05:29 pm »
Used Bromptons never go near £200 unless "hot" or perhaps advertised collection-only a long from a big city.

Theft is also (allegedly) fed by the export market, so even if their price here went down a lot they'd still get nicked to ship to SE Asia.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 13 December, 2020, 06:47:32 pm »
People can say take it shopping with you. It's not that easy.

A Brompton fits in a standard supermarket trolley just fine when folded, leaving the front compartment for your shopping. Or you can leave the handlebars extended and the front luggage attached to used it as a trolley in its own right.

I wouldn't do my bi-weekly COVID-19 supermarket shop with one (I have other bikes that are less attractive to thieves and much better at carrying heavy loads), but in the Before Times it was absolutely fine for popping into a shop for a few items on the way home from somewhere.  More importantly, it's great for being able to bring into a random office building in a part of town you wouldn't want to leave a bike unattended for hours on end.

Indeed, the only times I lock up my Brompton are when I'm using it for a Bike Ride (because trains or car or Origami or something), and I lock it outside a cafe or pub with a load of other bikes.

The n+1 rule applies.  Sometimes you want a bike you can lock up.  Sometimes you want a bike you can take with you.  Depends where you're going, how long you're going to be, what cycle parking is available, etc.  There's no perfect solution.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 13 December, 2020, 06:54:08 pm »
People can say take it shopping with you. It's not that easy.

A Brompton fits in a standard supermarket trolley just fine when folded, leaving the front compartment for your shopping. Or you can leave the handlebars extended and the front luggage attached to used it as a trolley in its own right.

I wouldn't do my bi-weekly COVID-19 supermarket shop with one (I have other bikes that are less attractive to thieves and much better at carrying heavy loads), but in the Before Times it was absolutely fine for popping into a shop for a few items on the way home from somewhere.  More importantly, it's great for being able to bring into a random office building in a part of town you wouldn't want to leave a bike unattended for hours on end.

Indeed, the only times I lock up my Brompton are when I'm using it for a Bike Ride (because trains or car or Origami or something), and I lock it outside a cafe or pub with a load of other bikes.

The n+1 rule applies.  Sometimes you want a bike you can lock up.  Sometimes you want a bike you can take with you.  Depends where you're going, how long you're going to be, what cycle parking is available, etc.  There's no perfect solution.

Paired with a 30l backpack, my Brompton has been fine put inside the shopping trolley for my shopping trips in .NL. Plenty of carrying capacity. In the before times I'd carry a basket and wheel the folded brompton on it's rack + wheels, and just carry a shopping basket. The easy wheels + rack make this much easier than no rack. I don't understand why you'd not get a rack + wheels on a Brompton.

Only time I lock mine is when I'm bivvying... if I remembered a lock...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4 on: 13 December, 2020, 07:01:33 pm »
Whoever wants a Brompton in order to leave it locked up outside??  :o

Also, sub 200 used Bromptons?  Only if they've been run over by a tank and then rusted a bit!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 13 December, 2020, 07:03:00 pm »
Whoever wants a Brompton in order to leave it locked up outside??  :o

There are many people who have the view "It's a bike, bikes do not go in buildings"

J
--

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #6 on: 13 December, 2020, 07:04:21 pm »
I can't say I've ever had that problem.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 13 December, 2020, 07:04:46 pm »
Use a Brompton enough and you'll get to meet some.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #8 on: 13 December, 2020, 07:09:06 pm »
I'm sure I will at some point, and might even meet one where simple non-compliance isn't an option.  The OP seems to think leaving it outside "for hours" would be a standard part of his modus operandi though, which is really confusing  ???

« Reply #9 on: 13 December, 2020, 10:20:54 pm »
I city shop. Unfortunately I like to go into many shops... to shop. I could do this with a Brompton, but many shops have only stairs, and its sorta crowded in my city. I tend to think walking and shopping without a Brompton is somewhat easier than with one. I could be wrong
I also rend to think a locked bicycle is more attractive to steal than a step thru... even tho my step thru is a pretty decent bike. Again, I could be wrong.
When I last left two folders that were locked they were stolen. Tho good makes I dont think they carried the same kudos as Brompton. Again I could be mistaken.
I dont expect Bromptons to fall to 200. But if they became ubiquitous I guess they would be less likely to be stolen.
I liken it to the days when car radios were stolen. Once China made many and the prices fell, the theft in radios disappeared. 

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #10 on: 13 December, 2020, 10:30:20 pm »
Well yeah you're right, if you want to lock up in town and walk round between a dozen shops, a premium folder like the Brompton is the wrong tool. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 13 December, 2020, 11:00:41 pm »
I city shop. Unfortunately I like to go into many shops... to shop. I could do this with a Brompton, but many shops have only stairs, and its sorta crowded in my city. I tend to think walking and shopping without a Brompton is somewhat easier than with one. I could be wrong

Agreed.  At least, as long as there's somewhere decent to park your bike.

I also rend to think a locked bicycle is more attractive to steal than a step thru... even tho my step thru is a pretty decent bike. Again, I could be wrong.

I'm not sure what frame geometry has to do with whether you lock your bike or not.  Do you consider your step-through bike so unattractive that you don't bother locking it?

I liken it to the days when car radios were stolen. Once China made many and the prices fell, the theft in radios disappeared.

Over the same period car radios became orders of magnitude more useless once stolen.  They developed security codes, removable front panels and eventually pretty much every car had a factory-fitted entertainment system that couldn't be removed without dismantling the dashboard, and wouldn't be much use to anyone who didn't have an uncommon fault in an identical car if you did.

I don't think there's a reasonable cycle-security analogy, beyond e-bike systems that are effectively bricked if you don't have the detachable console.  And a bike isn't analogous to a car radio; it's analogous to a car.  Steal a non-functional e-bike (or car) and you've still got a decent collection of parts to sell.

Anyway, you seem to like the idea of a Brompton, without having a need for a Brompton.  Which is fair enough, by all means lust after the shiny toy, maybe even buy one to play with.  But it sounds like you've already got an excellent bike for going to the shops on, so why would you want to use a Brompton for that?

« Reply #12 on: 14 December, 2020, 08:10:22 am »
Kim: "Yo,for he is weak. He has original sin. He seeks pleasure in what the eye seeks satisfaction." Well,something like that.

I had five minutes. I thought I'd make a conversation. Nothing going on.

I follow all things Brompton. I dont know why. Brompton Akubra Girl buys Bromptons(but never rides them?) I like looking at Bromptons. I like to see where they travel. I like to see where people take them...and the way they dress. I follow how they sell. I like their club and outings. I am interested in how they are customised and how they appear to have a cult following in Indonesia and other SE Asian countries. I'm not obsessive,just like looking at them from time to time.

Like many cyclists I am looking to reduce the number of bicycles I have to find the one bicycle that does everything and looks the part. Alas,I know there isnt the one(or two)but the looking still goes on. Its a sorta interesting past time(and one that isnt always with me). The ways and make ups of humans are complex and many. Many dont make sense. Its part of the charm and frustration of being human.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #13 on: 14 December, 2020, 10:10:02 pm »
Like many cyclists I am looking to reduce the number of bicycles I have ...
Splitter!

Oh, wait a minute...
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #14 on: 15 December, 2020, 09:28:34 pm »
Kim: "Yo,for he is weak. He has original sin. He seeks pleasure in what the eye seeks satisfaction." Well,something like that.

I had five minutes. I thought I'd make a conversation. Nothing going on.

I follow all things Brompton. I dont know why. Brompton Akubra Girl buys Bromptons(but never rides them?) I like looking at Bromptons. I like to see where they travel. I like to see where people take them...and the way they dress. I follow how they sell. I like their club and outings. I am interested in how they are customised and how they appear to have a cult following in Indonesia and other SE Asian countries. I'm not obsessive,just like looking at them from time to time.

Like many cyclists I am looking to reduce the number of bicycles I have to find the one bicycle that does everything and looks the part. Alas,I know there isnt the one(or two)but the looking still goes on. Its a sorta interesting past time(and one that isnt always with me). The ways and make ups of humans are complex and many. Many dont make sense. Its part of the charm and frustration of being human.

Here's my Mk1

« Reply #15 on: 15 December, 2020, 09:36:23 pm »
and one at the other end of the scale

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #16 on: 17 March, 2021, 09:09:27 pm »
Have been looking for a cheap battered neglected Brompton for several months, one that looked like it had been run over by a bus recently went for £460
No the prices are not coming down  ;D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #17 on: 29 May, 2021, 05:27:40 pm »
I've just ridden a 2008 M3L home.  Almost immaculate, £320.  Don't look on eBay...this was on a card in the newsagent's window.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #18 on: 29 May, 2021, 05:45:41 pm »
I've just ridden a 2008 M3L home.  Almost immaculate, £320.  Don't look on eBay...this was on a card in the newsagent's window.
Sounds like you've a result there, Rog.

« Reply #19 on: 29 May, 2021, 05:47:59 pm »
I follow all things Brompton. I dont know why.
I sort of get that. For ages I had no need for a folder, but the brand had that certain cachet. Then I did need a folder but couldn't afford a Brompton, so bought a Dahon, and still kept an eye on Bromptons. Then I broke the Dahon, and was offered a Brompton at a price I could justify, and I've never looked back (except when turning right).

« Reply #20 on: 29 May, 2021, 05:48:20 pm »
Photos needed.

rogerzilla

« Reply #21 on: 29 May, 2021, 05:49:49 pm »
It's actually for a mate who's been offered a job in That London.  I could have flipped it for £750 but I'm not that greedy, so he is getting it at cost.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #22 on: 29 May, 2021, 06:15:08 pm »
It's actually for a mate who's been offered a job in That London.  I could have flipped it for £750 but I'm not that greedy, so he is getting it at cost.

Cost + a beer, I'd hope.

J
--

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #23 on: 29 May, 2021, 06:29:08 pm »
Think I got lucky with mine then. Found one on the local Facebook group for £500 a couple of years ago. Was being sold by a company that had just used it in a promotional video and had probably done less than 5 miles. Still had the “spines” on the tyres. Not perhaps my first, or even second, choice of colour but wasn’t going to turn it down at that price. 

rogerzilla

« Reply #24 on: 29 May, 2021, 09:59:29 pm »
20210529_202917 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20210529_182414 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

I swapped out the reflector for a B&M rear light that was surplus to requirements and I also had a more modern metal RH pedal in the Crypt of Crap.  Gave it a general lube and fettle.  Nothing wrong with it except surface rust on the headset cups, which is probably defective plating.  I will persuade him to get a Tange FL270C (low stack, cartridge, alloy) for lighter weight and an easier life.