Author Topic: Scotland Pavement Parking  (Read 2367 times)

Scotland Pavement Parking
« on: 02 November, 2023, 06:47:28 pm »
The law against will be implemented from 11 Dec 2023, it was passed in 2019 I don't know the reason for the delay.

The highland council seem to be the first to publicise it.  There is an allowance for "loading" though.

https://www.highland.gov.uk/info/20006/parking_and_car_parks/711/decriminalised_parking_enforcement/6

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Scotland Pavement Parking
« Reply #1 on: 02 November, 2023, 06:57:47 pm »
First London, then Scotland, hopefully the whole UK next. And while we're at it, can we do something about pavement "parking" of wheelie bins.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 02 November, 2023, 07:14:11 pm »
can we do something about pavement "parking" of wheelie bins.

That would require the sort of cooperation from the binmen that you're unlikely to get under the terms of a typical council contract, to say nothing of the councils that have literally run out of money.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3 on: 02 November, 2023, 07:37:39 pm »

That would require the sort of cooperation from the binmen that you're unlikely to get under the terms of a typical council contract, to say nothing of the councils that have literally run out of money.
Depends what alternative was found. If it required binmen fetching bins from artfully built bin sheds in gardens, sure, that's not going to happen. But it might be done in a way that doesn't require any more work from binmen than at present.

All those cars which are no longer pavement parked* are presumably, most of them, going to be parked fully on the carriageway. On many streets, that effectively means parking on one side of the road only. Bins can go in the road*. This obviously requires extra work from householders, so also isn't ideal.

It would be good to find something better than wheelie bins* and also to decide whether waste is to be collected per household, as is generally the case at present, or whether we can first aggregate it, as happens in some blocks of flats into big skips. Does it matter, or should it matter, if someone else puts their rubbish in your bin? Also, of course, we need to recycle more* and consume less shit**.

*Denotes lack of reality.
**Denotes total insanity.

« Reply #4 on: 02 November, 2023, 08:29:19 pm »

Depends what alternative was found. If it required binmen fetching bins from artfully built bin sheds in gardens, sure, that's not going to happen. But it might be done in a way that doesn't require any more work from binmen than at present.

All those cars which are no longer pavement parked* are presumably, most of them, going to be parked fully on the carriageway. On many streets, that effectively means parking on one side of the road only. Bins can go in the road*. This obviously requires extra work from householders, so also isn't ideal.

It would be good to find something better than wheelie bins* and also to decide whether waste is to be collected per household, as is generally the case at present, or whether we can first aggregate it, as happens in some blocks of flats into big skips. Does it matter, or should it matter, if someone else puts their rubbish in your bin? Also, of course, we need to recycle more* and consume less shit**.

I really don't understand the great British resistance to communal bins.

One bloody big continental style bin at the end of our road would swallow a weeks worth of black general purpose bin bags which are currently collected fortnightly.

We would need to walk a hundred metres to the bin instead of it stinking outside our back door (won't someone think of Mrs Gubbins who's got a gammy leg?).
On the other hand the pavements would be kept clear, we wouldn't need to remember 'bin day' and Mrs Gubbins wouldn't need to drag her bin to the end of the garden.

The benefits would surely outweigh the slight disadvantages.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5 on: 02 November, 2023, 08:39:14 pm »
They are used, and parked on the road, in a few places, where there are lots of (usually student) HMOs. But rarely.

Another advantage is that they end arguments over the neighbours nicking your wheelie bin or filling your cardboard pod with their plastics. OTOH, they'd require a different approach to recyclings. At present, the occasional resident who can't be arsed to sort their recycling and put it in the right box only messes up their own collection. But with communal recycling, that same one person could invalidate the whole street's collection, under the current system, and get it all left behind.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6 on: 02 November, 2023, 09:38:30 pm »

Ah yes, "EuroBins"

They're popular here due to Tenements, they get parked on the road permanently much to some peoples disgust, they're also permanently overflowing but that's mostly either a collection or seagull problem.

« Reply #7 on: 02 November, 2023, 10:10:20 pm »
We have the big communal bins. Most of them live in "bin hubs", i.e. on bits of road marked out as bin hubs and surrounded by bits of metal that look just like Sheffield stands but aren't. Provided they're emptied often enough, they work fine. Yes, I have to walk a few metres to the local bin, but I also don't have to remember to put different bins out on different days. If they're full, I report them and they generally get emptied within a day or so - if I had private bins, I'd be at the mercy of whatever schedule is in place. (I believe there is a schedule for communal bins, but what it is remains a mystery. They generally seem to get emptied at least weekly, though.)

Of course, the permanently enraged motorists of Edinburgh are unhappy at the bins encroaching on parking space, but I'm quite happy to see the public space used for public amenity rather than for the storage of private property...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 02 November, 2023, 10:55:23 pm »

My parents' binmen used to collect black bags from the side of the house.  But that's  a) Buckinghamshire  and  b) Binmenism

Though I can't help thinking a lot of bin-blocking would be eliminated if the bin men actually emptied the bins when they were supposed to, and pragmatically treated a recycle bin contaminated[1] with non-recycleables as a general waste bin, so it didn't sit there being not collected in perpetuity, which seems to be about half the problem around here.

There were street bins here when we first moved in.  They weren't collected anywhere near frequently enough.

[1] Which can happen in the hours between bins being put out and collected, simply because a random pedestrian or motorist dumped their takeaway detritus into the nearest bin.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #9 on: 02 November, 2023, 11:14:32 pm »
In the French France that they have (at least in some of the ski resorts), they have on-street communal bins but they are done Much Better.
From the street, they just look like circular lids, which you put your stuff in. They are at waist-level.
They are usually positioned behind fairly smart civic brick-work, and not visually intrusive.
But they go down several meters below ground level! They are about 2 metres in diameter by perhaps 5 metres deep, from memory.

So when the bin lorry comes around, it hooks onto the top of the thing, and hoiks it up right out of the ground, and dumps the contents into the truck.
It then lowers the thing back into the deep pit.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10 on: 03 November, 2023, 01:13:12 pm »
Casting my mind back to my Jet Set GlobeTrotting International PlayBoy Youth, the main difference in waste is not how it's collected but between places with and without some form of organized collection. The places without (India, Pacific Islands and rural Poland – though even Polish villages have bin collections now, and I dare say places like Rarotonga do too) dealt with it in two ways: by feeding it to feral animals (India) or burning it at home (rural Poland). Neither is without problems.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: 03 November, 2023, 01:15:44 pm »
Getting back to parking of vehicles in Scotland, does this pavement parking ban apply to all pavements or will there be provision for local authorities to make exceptions in certain cases?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 03 November, 2023, 01:25:16 pm »
burning it at home

I recall Postman Piers having a confused conversation with his elderly neighbour about some binmen issue or other.  The neighbour was referring to the wheeliebin as an 'ash box', which I suppose makes sense if you're from rural Poland, or Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13 on: 03 November, 2023, 01:37:21 pm »
burning it at home

I recall Postman Piers having a confused conversation with his elderly neighbour about some binmen issue or other.  The neighbour was referring to the wheeliebin as an 'ash box', which I suppose makes sense if you're from rural Poland, or Jacob Rees-Mogg.
Have a look at the lid of your wheeliebin. It will almost certainly say "No hot ashes". On all of ours (two different designs) it's on the right-hand corner, in a rather subtle little box – your bin may vary. As not many people burn coal at home nowadays, it can afford to be subtle (though of course half of YACF burns logs, so... ) but back when I were a lad and plastic bins (non-wheely) were a new thing, it was a valid warning.

In fact, a few summers ago, Someone (not me) had a barbecue and flung the extinguished but still hot disposable tin tray into the wheeliebin, were it clung to and melted a whole in the lid. And a couple of weeks ago, someone's bin about five houses down caught fire. It had been put out the night before collection day and the next morning it was just a mass of molten plastic and charred rubbish. No idea how that happened – firework, cigarette, molotov cocktail...

As for Jacob Rees-Mogg, I don't suppose he allows a council bin lorry onto his estate.

« Reply #14 on: 03 November, 2023, 02:24:47 pm »
Getting back to parking of vehicles in Scotland, does this pavement parking ban apply to all pavements or will there be provision for local authorities to make exceptions in certain cases?

There was a consultation a while ago which seemed to be aimed at allowing councils to make exemptions everywhere so that the situation would be no different from now, but legal (she says cynically).

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #15 on: 03 November, 2023, 02:27:15 pm »

There was a consultation a while ago which seemed to be aimed at allowing councils to make exemptions everywhere so that the situation would be no different from now, but legal (she says cynically).
>:(

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #16 on: 03 November, 2023, 02:28:12 pm »
It wont be enforced on an effective basis (or possibly at all) so will have little effect - much like existing arrangements for speeding, driving whilst using phones and other forms of illegal parking.

« Reply #17 on: 03 November, 2023, 02:34:10 pm »
It seems to work pretty well in London, although enforcement/compliance gets poorer the further out you go, especially in residential areas.

The Scottish act allows specific pavements to be exempted and signposted as such, the same as in a few places in London.