Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1718703 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #16000 on: 28 April, 2021, 05:07:05 pm »
Would be grateful if someone could ensure Carlos the Cone Killer makes it home this time.  :facepalm:

He’s been talking up his mechanical prowess, he’ll be fine!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #16001 on: 28 April, 2021, 05:20:56 pm »
Most of us here work on our own bikes Nick, we'd always help you out or lend you tools. BFC is a font of knowledge and help, he has a workshop full of tools and he's a bloody good bloke.

It's always best to learn how to do stuff yourself because it'll be worn out or broken again at some point and you'll be in the same situation again.

I've ignored my own advice and broken hub, so just going to look at it now :facepalm:
Also worth noting:
If you, the LBS or a friend have an issue getting bits apart or during reassembly.....
You would know, the LBS may keep it quite and the friend would tell you. I am always happy to work with the victimcustomer looking on and explain what I am doing.

Same with any tricks or bodges to get you going quickly or modify parts, you really do need to know if its a "get you home" fix or a long term repair.

A lot of the "magic" of engineering is understanding how things failed and trying to figure out how to prevent the same happening again, unless its genuine old age or use. It can be easy to chuck a new part in but if it is dying as a result of something else, you also need to fix the root cause.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #16002 on: 28 April, 2021, 06:42:12 pm »
Thought I'd propose this route for the Witham Peloton, should enable an 8pm arrival if leaving the launchpad at 7pm.
I'll be heading there direct, starting s bit later - see you all at the pub

--
ACME Fire Safety Officer.

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #16003 on: 28 April, 2021, 08:16:43 pm »
Yeah, I know what you mean and I usually do all my maintenance myself, so long as its not wheel-related magic.

The tooling for replacing the BB bearing was knocking on £100, or I could have made them myself but the LBS only want £20 labour, so I though I'd let them do it. "Can't book it in for a few weeks", they said but so long as I have it done for Hereward, that'd be okay, I thought. Quite surprised it won't be in and out in a day but I'll know for next time and this is the first time I've used LBS to do my repairs since I bought the bike from them back in 2016ish.

Anyway, have a good one tonight!
Ah, that makes a lot of sense, I nearly said apart from the proprietary stuff where it costs so much to set yourself up. I had a guy asking me what he needed to sort his Campag chain with the pin that came with it...I suggested he look at a Quick Link!
Ah, I can barely imagine the sheer feeling of pleasure that must be associated with having a Campag anything  ;)

« Reply #16004 on: 28 April, 2021, 08:18:26 pm »
Yeah, I know what you mean and I usually do all my maintenance myself, so long as its not wheel-related magic.

The tooling for replacing the BB bearing was knocking on £100, or I could have made them myself but the LBS only want £20 labour, so I though I'd let them do it. "Can't book it in for a few weeks", they said but so long as I have it done for Hereward, that'd be okay, I thought. Quite surprised it won't be in and out in a day but I'll know for next time and this is the first time I've used LBS to do my repairs since I bought the bike from them back in 2016ish.

Anyway, have a good one tonight!
What format is the BB?
It's a Shimano press fit BB71.

« Reply #16005 on: 28 April, 2021, 08:25:44 pm »
Most of us here work on our own bikes Nick, we'd always help you out or lend you tools. BFC is a font of knowledge and help, he has a workshop full of tools and he's a bloody good bloke.

It's always best to learn how to do stuff yourself because it'll be worn out or broken again at some point and you'll be in the same situation again.

I've ignored my own advice and broken hub, so just going to look at it now :facepalm:
Yes, thank you - like I say, most stuff I'll do myself but not if its cheaper for somebody else to do it! Good to know that tools might be on offer though :thumbsup: I heard about the freewheel and I hope you get it sorted. I did my one a while ago after it packed up in Stratford when I was on my way home, late, to swap for a car, to pick my son up from school. Couldn't have been any other time, I thought - then remembered that I had done a 200 just a couple of days before! :jurek:

« Reply #16006 on: 28 April, 2021, 08:27:16 pm »

Also worth noting:
If you, the LBS or a friend have an issue getting bits apart or during reassembly.....
You would know, the LBS may keep it quite and the friend would tell you. I am always happy to work with the victimcustomer looking on and explain what I am doing.

Same with any tricks or bodges to get you going quickly or modify parts, you really do need to know if its a "get you home" fix or a long term repair.

A lot of the "magic" of engineering is understanding how things failed and trying to figure out how to prevent the same happening again, unless its genuine old age or use. It can be easy to chuck a new part in but if it is dying as a result of something else, you also need to fix the root cause.
Thank you and I couldn't agree with you more!

« Reply #16007 on: 28 April, 2021, 08:30:40 pm »
Anyway, just to update you, the LBS messaged me earlier to say the bike was ready, but I had already hung out the washing and noted that the NE wind was still having a go and having quite a good go at that. It also was threatening to rain, and the ride would have been a fair old haul from mine made other plans.
Have a good one and I'll hopefully see you all soon :thumbsup:

BFC

« Reply #16008 on: 29 April, 2021, 06:34:27 pm »
A nice ride to Little Totham last night. A cracking night one could say, followed by a cracking morning.

Looked at the bike this morning, before parking it up. The saddle was too springy.
Front mounting plate on the leather saddle had a crack in it. Saddle unbolted, spare saddle fitted. e-mail to Spa.
Seatpost clamp not feeling good, take it apart again and inspect, lower clamp plate cracked.
Undo seatpost clamp, and attempt to extract the seatpost. Spot the crack in the frame at the seatpost clamp, and one on the downtube, next to the headtube weld.
Dismantle bike and put the bits into a cardboard box, frame has joined the bike graveyard

Looking into the Ti fixed road frame project with a bit more urgency, Justin Burls has responded, hoping to check out one of his frames on Saturday morning. No response from Spa yet, no rush because I have a few spare saddles and don't have a frame anymore.

Looks like it's gears next week. Taking requests for which of the fleet comes out to play...

« Reply #16009 on: 30 April, 2021, 09:59:45 am »
A nice ride to Little Totham last night. A cracking night one could say, followed by a cracking morning.

Looked at the bike this morning, before parking it up. The saddle was too springy.
Front mounting plate on the leather saddle had a crack in it. Saddle unbolted, spare saddle fitted. e-mail to Spa.
Seatpost clamp not feeling good, take it apart again and inspect, lower clamp plate cracked.
Undo seatpost clamp, and attempt to extract the seatpost. Spot the crack in the frame at the seatpost clamp, and one on the downtube, next to the headtube weld.
Dismantle bike and put the bits into a cardboard box, frame has joined the bike graveyard

Looking into the Ti fixed road frame project with a bit more urgency, Justin Burls has responded, hoping to check out one of his frames on Saturday morning. No response from Spa yet, no rush because I have a few spare saddles and don't have a frame anymore.

Looks like it's gears next week. Taking requests for which of the fleet comes out to play...
I think the TT bike needs to make an appearance along with the relevant headwear.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #16010 on: 30 April, 2021, 11:31:47 am »

I think the TT bike needs to make an appearance along with the relevant headwear.

Yes, aero helmet and skin suit please and a timed effort on an appropriate TT course on the way to the pub.

felstedrider

« Reply #16011 on: 30 April, 2021, 11:36:49 am »
I just rebuilt my Burls TT bike.   It came up very pretty.

BFC

« Reply #16012 on: 30 April, 2021, 01:20:42 pm »

Yes, aero helmet and skin suit please and a timed effort on an appropriate TT course on the way to the pub.
I'm thinking it will have to be one with SPD pedals and with fixings for transportation of the thermals, a carradice on the TT bike would look ridiculous and won't fit on its saddle.
I had expected Huggy to wake up and request the jack by now.

« Reply #16013 on: 30 April, 2021, 01:58:51 pm »
Huggy's too busy working on his plans for a 19th Century J.ack conversion.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #16014 on: 30 April, 2021, 03:27:41 pm »

the "New" barn find....

Needs some of this: https://www.prlog.org/12798798-introducing-barn-find-dustyes-its-real-and-its-finally-here.html
Regards,

Joergen

BFC

« Reply #16015 on: 30 April, 2021, 05:04:35 pm »

the "New" barn find....

Needs some of this: https://www.prlog.org/12798798-introducing-barn-find-dustyes-its-real-and-its-finally-here.html
You can buy almost any shit off the internet. I expect theres plenty of pigeon dust in one of those pots.

« Reply #16016 on: 03 May, 2021, 09:27:09 pm »
Hello all,
Where next for the fabled MEMWNS? :P

« Reply #16017 on: 04 May, 2021, 06:35:42 am »
Jemango and Tippers recce'd the Alma yesterday.  EER owes it a visit as it was part of our T2 series in October.   That would just leave the Oddie for next week. 

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #16018 on: 04 May, 2021, 06:51:20 am »
Is that in Brentwood?

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #16019 on: 04 May, 2021, 08:21:47 am »
Is that in Brentwood?

Un/Fortunately not. It's in Colchester. Good set up in the garden, heaters if you book early. Beer wise, Landlord or IPA.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #16020 on: 04 May, 2021, 08:23:31 am »
Harwich Alma is awesome, it has rooms too🥰

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #16021 on: 04 May, 2021, 08:25:48 am »
Harwich Alma is awesome, it has rooms too🥰

Trying to post a photo of a review I found but can’t work out how to do it. Here’s a link at least https://flic.kr/p/2kWEehq
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #16022 on: 04 May, 2021, 08:27:33 am »
😁

« Reply #16023 on: 04 May, 2021, 11:08:24 am »
Is that in Brentwood?

Un/Fortunately not. It's in Colchester. Good set up in the garden, heaters if you book early. Beer wise, Landlord or IPA.
That could be good so long as this wind drops. I can make it my 100k for May.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #16024 on: 04 May, 2021, 12:47:08 pm »
A Western Fringes venue for tomorrow? How's the Orange Tree or the Railway Tavern in Chelmo at the moment? The latter is apparently open but not taking bookings - first come first served ...