Author Topic: ToB Stage 7 - Bury St Edmunds to Sandringham  (Read 2157 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
ToB Stage 7 - Bury St Edmunds to Sandringham
« on: 13 September, 2011, 10:40:09 pm »
James and I are going to be watching this in Hadleigh, just before Ipswich.

Anyone else going to watch?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: ToB Stage 7 - Bury St Edmunds to Sandringham
« Reply #1 on: 13 September, 2011, 10:46:26 pm »
I hope they don't get in the way of my one-man WARTY! :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 13 September, 2011, 10:54:26 pm »
Some of us from CTC Cambridge are going to ride to the start at Bury St Edmunds.

« Reply #3 on: 13 September, 2011, 11:34:46 pm »
I'm probably go to watch the finish.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #4 on: 14 September, 2011, 07:38:40 am »
I got the days mixed up and promised to take my eldest lad to Toys R Us Saturday with some birthday money.  So, we'll be heading to Norwich, and with a little careful planning, or a lot of luck, I'm hoping to catch them en route.....I'd love to see the finish, which is 2 minutes down the road from me :(

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #5 on: 14 September, 2011, 09:37:38 am »
We'll be watching them roll out from Bury St Edmunds and then heading straight up to Sandringham for the finish.
a great mind thinks alike

Chris S

« Reply #6 on: 14 September, 2011, 09:58:23 am »
I will be watching them from my sitting room window - for the route passes right past my door  :thumbsup:.

I may also try for the double - watch them depart in Bury and then ride home in time to see them pass here.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #7 on: 14 September, 2011, 02:40:11 pm »
Route passes past my parents' house north of Ipswich. Would have been lovely to watch it from the comfort of their house with tea & cake on tap.

Parents are on holiday  :hand:
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: 16 September, 2011, 08:46:42 pm »
I'm working on this stage, following the race from start to finish..... ;D  ;D  ;D

« Reply #9 on: 17 September, 2011, 09:03:16 am »
I'll be marshalling on the sprint in Wymondham

*thinks how to keep the the rain gods away*
Recumbent Riders will rule the world........(maybe)

have a look here
Flickr: bottlemasher's Photostream

« Reply #10 on: 17 September, 2011, 07:51:39 pm »
Three of us rode from Cambridge to Bury for the start. The square outside the Abbey Great Gate was packed: in fact, there were so many people lining the barriers three deep that it was impossible to see the riders! So I didn't see anything myself, but by holding my camera as high as I could I was able to take some photos. This is Team NetApp:

I guess experienced race fans know that they have to get there early and reserve a spot. I will know next time.

Then we rode back via Hartest and Stradishall. I really like riding these Suffolk lanes, and watching the clouds being blown about. But the strong westerly wind made it a tough return leg.

Chris S

« Reply #11 on: 17 September, 2011, 07:55:12 pm »
I watched from home. I was heartened by just how many people had turned out in Diss. The whole length of Victoria Road was lined with cheering people. The riders all passed in about 35s. Road racing is not a spectator sport really, is it?

« Reply #12 on: 17 September, 2011, 08:29:50 pm »
There was a good show at the Sandringham end. lots of stands and entertainment - vintage bikes, Fat birds don't Fly, trials riders, etc, etc.

It was good to see such a mixture of people out enjoying themselves - from club riders to family groups.

The race? I was 50metres from the line and all I saw was a flash of colour as the riders past at full tilt!
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #13 on: 18 September, 2011, 01:23:08 pm »
I cycled from Ely with a mate; lumpy bits south-east of Newmarket were a challenge on 70" fixed, but no walking done (close-run thing, though). We went to Lavenham and watched in the high street; they flashed past uphill faster than we have been all day including downhills. Police closure by leapfrogging motorcycles was slick too, and they all seemed to be having a good time.

After a tea & enormous cake, & a pub lunch somewhere on the way back, we were on the interminable & windy Isleham - Prickwillow stretch when a peloton of team cars & mechanics barrelled the other way, hooting, grinning & waving at us (I was wearing a KoM YACF jersey in an incongrous manner...  ::-)).

A good day out, but oh, me quads...

Chris S

« Reply #14 on: 19 September, 2011, 01:18:59 pm »
So the highlights programme for this stage isn't available on ITV Player? Why is that? Was it that dull?

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #15 on: 19 September, 2011, 01:25:56 pm »
I spotted this nutter in Sandringham  ;)

Click to enlarge by bubblebutt2005, on Flickr