Author Topic: Would you park your bike in a multistorey car park?  (Read 6481 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Would you park your bike in a multistorey car park?
« Reply #25 on: 07 September, 2020, 03:16:36 pm »
When he's talking about whether the multistoreys should exist for cars at all, we can be impressed.

Got to store the cars somewhere when they're not cluttering up the street  :demon:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 07 September, 2020, 03:19:14 pm »
The secure room with standard cycle parking approach (Sheffield stands, or those double-decker things) seems to be something that people are more inclined to get right.
These sexist double decker things?
https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/new-bike-storage-at-temple-meads-branded-sexist-infrastructure/

Why does it have to be sexist? I'm male, 5'4" with zero upper body strength.

Because women are, as a class, more likely to be short and have less upper body strength then men as a class.

This doesn't stop it being disablist, ageist (when it comes to physical infrastructure, nobody ever seems to think of the children), or just plan bad design.

It does mean you can say "equality impact assessment" in an attempt to dissuade people from putting in discriminatory infrastructure.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 07 September, 2020, 03:27:54 pm »
Nevertheless, as I said earlier, it's really quite impressive that a politician is talking about this stuff at all.

Politicians *love* to talk about cycling when presented with an idea that won't inconvenience the car-owning public at all.

When he's talking about whether the multistoreys should exist for cars at all, we can be impressed.
Yes, that would be a major thing. TBF, he does touch on/skirt around the issue of reallocating car parking space to cycle parking space. Which is a great idea but I'd say start with on-street parking (how about digging up every 20th car space and replacing with Sheffield stands?).

Politicians love to talk about cycling? Not sure. Also not sure removing some car parking spaces counts as not inconveniencing any car owners – though less so atm when fewer people commuting. But as I said, he was MP for two terms (my constituency) and I don't recall him talking about cycling then.

Coming down would be fun

If you're in London you can enjoy the world's most elaborate taxi dropoff layby with very little risk of encountering a vehicle.

(Both those spirals serve no other purpose)
Linky no worky. Which is a shame, as I'm intrigued!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 07 September, 2020, 03:33:41 pm »
Birmigham Critical Mass, before it got eaten by Facebook, went through a phase of going up and down multi-storey car parks to avoid the rain.  With the sound system and lots of bell-ringing it was hard not to approve of the novelty value, but it tended to split the group up as some weren't equipped to cope with the gradients involved.

« Reply #29 on: 07 September, 2020, 03:39:19 pm »

Here, behind the Tower of London:
https://goo.gl/maps/AbxB1aEuvnyUMPBVA

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #30 on: 07 September, 2020, 04:12:53 pm »

Here, behind the Tower of London:
https://goo.gl/maps/AbxB1aEuvnyUMPBVA
Turn it into a skateboard park. #olympicbonus

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #31 on: 07 September, 2020, 06:53:14 pm »
I used to park my bike in an underground car park near my work on rainy days, althoght it has butterfly stands which aren't ideal.

Unfortunately the local Deliveroo crew discovered it and now leave their bikes and boxes there overnight, which means no free spaces!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #32 on: 07 September, 2020, 06:57:24 pm »
Cambridge has a multi-story bike park, adjacent to the station.

General advice is, "Don't lock a good bike there for long."

A friend had his bike nicked from there. Locked with a half-decent lock.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #33 on: 07 September, 2020, 07:34:32 pm »
This must be a rare occasion when one of my local councils has done well.  There's a high security multi storey car park in Sunderland (St Mary Street car park) which has a separate area for cycle parking.  Security guard controlled, CCTV monitored.  And straight across a footbridge to the main shopping centre.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #34 on: 07 September, 2020, 07:45:04 pm »
No. The last time I did that, leaving my bike in the car, it wasn't there when I came back. Neither was the rear windscreen.

« Reply #35 on: 07 September, 2020, 08:16:10 pm »
Both the German super markets in my town have the cycle parking as close to the front door as possible while not be in the bloody way.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #36 on: 07 September, 2020, 11:04:24 pm »
At St. Pancras station in London, the multi-story car park at the back of the station has space for several hundred bikes in a secure compound and also sheffield stands on the first floor. My wife used to park a bike there a few years ago and never noticed any security issues.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #37 on: 08 September, 2020, 12:50:34 am »
Friends of mine who lived in Leicester till recently have (a very affordable) subscriptions to their secure under the station parking which is excellent. It's fob-only entry, well lit, and friends feel safe leaving even decent bikes there. There's stands at 2 heights I think space for weirder cycles as well. We stood in there one day chatting instead of freezing in the rain.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #38 on: 08 September, 2020, 09:13:28 am »
At St. Pancras station in London, the multi-story car park at the back of the station has space for several hundred bikes in a secure compound and also sheffield stands on the first floor. My wife used to park a bike there a few years ago and never noticed any security issues.
What does "secure compound" consist of? Is it something like Barakta describes with restricted entry etc? Sounds interesting, more than just an area of stands I presume?

« Reply #39 on: 08 September, 2020, 08:48:54 pm »
This must be a rare occasion when one of my local councils has done well.  There's a high security multi storey car park in Sunderland (St Mary Street car park) which has a separate area for cycle parking.  Security guard controlled, CCTV monitored.  And straight across a footbridge to the main shopping centre.
Well I did  not  know  about that... may  just  go and  take  a  look - see

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #40 on: 09 September, 2020, 10:50:49 pm »
What does "secure compound" consist of? Is it something like Barakta describes with restricted entry etc? Sounds interesting, more than just an area of stands I presume?

A very large cage with key entry which I think you had to pay for, to get access.  And then all around the central core which houses the car ramps, they've got  loads of sheffield stands. This was 3-4 years ago, so hopefully still valid.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #41 on: 10 September, 2020, 10:05:29 am »
They have something like that on the platform at Ipswich station, with access to whomsoever joined the queue first back whenever they set it up.  I didn't join said queue as I don't get trains that often - I reckoned it was best left for daily commuters.  No idea if a charge is involved, there is a secret code to access.

I suggested about a year ago that they audit the users as it seemed rather empty.

The rest of us have to take our luck outside the station, approx the other side of the fence that's next to this cage, accessible to all comers.  tbh I don't think moving to the station multistorey would help any, and may make more people with handy bike-carrying-away devices aware of its existence.  It's certainly an improvement on the previous location - it's properly sheltered (think platform canopy) and less obvious and more overlooked.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #42 on: 10 September, 2020, 10:20:23 am »
I'd happily lock a hackbike up in a multistorey car park, but then that's under £50 worth of bike, the locks are often worth more than that.

Not sure about my commuter. Even though the base bike was only £250, the combined replacement wheels are more expensive than that as I'm using a SON dynohub wheel I had spare on the front, and a PowerTap rear I scalped off eBay for relatively cheap so I could see how little power I was putting out on my commute.

A more expensive bike? No way. Apart from the secure bike cage at work I rarely ever locked those up anywhere other than at home or within eyesight.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #43 on: 10 September, 2020, 08:18:19 pm »
If it was loacated on the top floor, it'd make for an interesting Strava KOM segment!

« Reply #44 on: 10 September, 2020, 08:29:21 pm »
Arabella I'm a few stations closer to London and they have the same thing. They're finally apparently re issuing fobs as they basically sold them to whoever wanted them till they had sold enough and despite lots not being used they were refusing to issue any more even to a train driver

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #45 on: 10 September, 2020, 09:08:03 pm »
If it was loacated on the top floor, it'd make for an interesting Strava KOM segment!
:o!!! ;D

« Reply #46 on: 23 September, 2020, 04:19:59 am »
(at the far edge of the topic)

Perhaps 5.5 decades ago, a multi-story automobile parking structure was constructed in my home town.  It was a novelty, and didn't get much use at first.  The design and placement of the elevators/lifts did not have a lot of security about it, and wasn't visible from the attendant's location.
We young cyclists enjoyed taking our bikes up the elevator and riding down.  You could zip by the end of the parking control gate and still have time to brake before hitting a pedestrian on the sidewalk/pavement.

Apparently this miffed the parking company, who installed signs banning bicycles from the premises, and later installed video surveillance gear.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #47 on: 23 September, 2020, 02:04:00 pm »
(at the far edge of the topic)

Perhaps 5.5 decades ago, a multi-story automobile parking structure was constructed in my home town.  It was a novelty, and didn't get much use at first.  The design and placement of the elevators/lifts did not have a lot of security about it, and wasn't visible from the attendant's location.
We young cyclists enjoyed taking our bikes up the elevator and riding down.  You could zip by the end of the parking control gate and still have time to brake before hitting a pedestrian on the sidewalk/pavement.

Apparently this miffed the parking company, who installed signs banning bicycles from the premises, and later installed video surveillance gear.

To which the Dutch say... "Sounds like a good formula for a race!"

http://www.carparkcannonball.cc/

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/