Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
OT Gallery / Re: Readers' Instruments
« Last post by Ham on Yesterday at 10:57:50 pm »
Ah yes, you'll be talking about the sensible option of shimming the saddle, and there I was thinking about shimming fret zero...

I would have thought it would need 1-2mm at the saddle, though.

I dun measured the clearance of 6th, string to fretboard: sub 0.5mm at fret 1 and 3mm @ 14
!st is 0 at fret 1 and 2.5mm @ 14

string to body: 6th 9.5 @ 14, 10 at the saddle
1st - 9 @ 14, 10 at the saddle

Suggests I need to raise the saddlepossiby by 0.5 more on 1st side, then tighten the truss rod as appropriate, if needed?
Arts and Entertainment / Re: Television tonight: what's worth watching?
« Last post by citoyen on Yesterday at 10:49:40 pm »
We started watching series 2 of Blue Lights. It's good but too much character stuff, not enough plot. And by "character stuff", I mean they all appear to be shagging each other now. How dull.

Also, I've seen this story before. It's...

(click to show/hide)
The Pub / Re: The Cryptic Crossword Clue Thread
« Last post by Pingu on Yesterday at 10:37:18 pm »
Just watched this week's Taskmaster which refers to this crossword  :thumbsup:
Arts and Entertainment / Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Last post by Jaded on Yesterday at 10:15:35 pm »
Watching Gruff Rhys. He likes the stage very dark. Limited photo opportunities, but we are really here to see Jarvis Cocker do a dj set. It’s going to be a late one.
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by rafletcher on Yesterday at 10:07:47 pm »
Powers Down - One Man Mambo
Audax / Re: Audax UK Reunion
« Last post by Ian H on Yesterday at 09:49:42 pm »
Two of us are booked, though method of transportation is still undecided.
OT Gallery / Re: Readers' Instruments
« Last post by PaulF on Yesterday at 09:39:46 pm »
No steenken' pickups - this guitar dates from valve years, AFAIK.  Prolly worth trying with a flat card, but I thought it would be better to get some curvature by bashing an old feeler gauge around a thin bar?

The base of the saddle will most likely be flat, I think every one I’ve seen has been. Even if it’s not the pressure of the strings will bend it to conform. But it will also be such a subtle curve (12-15” radius) that it won’t matter.
The Knowledge / Re: Help with frame related questions
« Last post by Bicycle Repair Man on Yesterday at 09:31:47 pm »
Hj Dave , are you still there?  Am I right in thinking you built Pearson frames?  If so I have one, 22" 531 ST , 120 spacing at the rear, cantilevers, no upper rack mounts, no fork mounts, I'm thinking late 70's.Untitled by mark tilley, on Flickr
by mark tilley, on Flickr

I think that says 1713
The cantilever bosses appear to be cubes rather than post where they attached. One of yours?

Hi Mark

Just found this, I sometimes get notifications about posts but in this instance not !
Alas, not one of ours. 1713 was an Audax frame built late Jan  1986 which was long before we started building for Pearsons. All the components of the frame look fairly generic for the late 70s there were a few builders turning out stuff like this around that time
The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by robgul on Yesterday at 09:29:10 pm »
Failed fettle on the washing machine door . . .  the lever bit/linkage had snapped

. . . after serious research and quite a bit of YouTube it was decided that a repair wasn't possible, and even if it was the cost would be prohibitive/not value/viable for a 9 year old machine. 

The recommendation (from a company that sells spare parts) was to take the top off the machine and smash the lock mechanism - did that but still unable to open the door.   Resorted to a brick bolster and club hammer twixt door and cabinet and hey presto we could get the clothes out.

Further research and Mr Lewis will be drawing up outside in his van on Weds with a new machine.
Kira Mac at the 1865, Southampton.  Good show.  Band to follow.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10