Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1737871 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #15500 on: 15 October, 2020, 11:57:50 am »
A very pleasant evening indeed. I'm always slightly surprised how much I enjoy riding at night. Although I do think we should petition for a law to make it mandatory for badgers to wear lights at night.

Was there an "incident"?  ;D

« Reply #15501 on: 15 October, 2020, 12:25:14 pm »
Not really, not now my shorts have been through the wash  ;D
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15502 on: 15 October, 2020, 12:31:28 pm »
Not really, not now my shorts have been through the wash  ;D

At least you didn't do a Tomsk and unsuccessfully try to head butt the bugger. 

I haven't seen any badgers lately but have had two instances of deer running across the road in front of me, fortunately not dangerously close.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15503 on: 15 October, 2020, 03:42:14 pm »
I have a cunning plan...

Given the new restrictions coming into force at 0001 hours Friday night I propose we all move in together and form one household then we’ll be able to meet inside pubs albeit in groups no bigger than 6.

« Reply #15504 on: 15 October, 2020, 04:01:03 pm »
Thankfully no such restrictions in the western regions, probably only for a limited time though

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #15505 on: 15 October, 2020, 05:55:08 pm »
In summary, it’s shit...
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

« Reply #15506 on: 15 October, 2020, 06:46:30 pm »
Thankfully no such restrictions in the western regions, probably only for a limited time though

They have been closing the Hertfordshire / Essex borders .  Cunningly they are disguised as road closed and something about road works.  But really they are Covid tier  barriers.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15507 on: 16 October, 2020, 11:48:48 am »
This plucked from Instagram...

Understandable but means that for from now on our Wednesday evenings will have to be entirely outdoors which is going to be chilly as we move into winter.

« Reply #15508 on: 16 October, 2020, 12:04:49 pm »
I was going to suggest the Sun as a possible outdoor venue - they seemed to have some form of fancy patio heater at the rear but this may be related to their tipi.

Patio heaters aren't very green but they would allow a brief stop for a quick refreshment.  Being able to get outdoors on a Wednesday evening and see some familiar faces is something we will all probably find important over the coming months. 

At the very least - and pending further restrictions - we ought, at least, to be able to organise some rides in groups of up to 6. 

There are also weekends too - MEWBS could make a comeback. 
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15509 on: 16 October, 2020, 12:09:00 pm »
I was going to suggest the Sun as a possible outdoor venue - they seemed to have some form of fancy patio heater at the rear but this may be related to their tipi.

Patio heaters aren't very green but they would allow a brief stop for a quick refreshment.  Being able to get outdoors on a Wednesday evening and see some familiar faces is something we will all probably find important over the coming months. 

At the very least - and pending further restrictions - we ought, at least, to be able to organise some rides in groups of up to 6. 

There are also weekends too - MEWBS could make a comeback.

Are we allowed to meet outdoors in groups of 6 in private gardens?

« Reply #15510 on: 16 October, 2020, 12:23:00 pm »
so far, yes but not if we move into tier 3.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15511 on: 16 October, 2020, 12:29:24 pm »
so far, yes but not if we move into tier 3.

That's what I thought.

« Reply #15512 on: 16 October, 2020, 01:24:47 pm »
Are we allowed to meet outdoors in groups of 6 in private gardens?.......yes but you should not access the garden via the house or go to the toilet.....in theory

« Reply #15513 on: 16 October, 2020, 01:29:15 pm »
Piss in the compost bin. Helps it rot own. Although genuinely only male wee works.... Is also a lot easier for the boys to wee in the compost bin

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15514 on: 16 October, 2020, 01:44:26 pm »
Are we allowed to meet outdoors in groups of 6 in private gardens?.......yes but you should not access the garden via the house or go to the toilet.....in theory

This has just been covered on the BBC TV news, apparently its no longer allowed to enter a house to use the loo whereas in the past that was allowed.  And you're not allowed to access a garden through a house but that was the case before. 

Apparently also, and this could have an impact on audax and long distance rides, you're no longer allowed to travel to a lower risk area so presumably Essex based riders can't ride into Suffolk or Hertfordshire.

Piss in the compost bin. Helps it rot own. Although genuinely only male wee works.... Is also a lot easier for the boys to wee in the compost bin

I bet before long you won't be able to buy a compost bin, along with pasta, flour and toilet roll  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15515 on: 16 October, 2020, 01:52:49 pm »

This has just been covered on the BBC TV news, apparently its no longer allowed to enter a house to use the loo whereas in the past that was allowed.  And you're not allowed to access a garden through a house but that was the case before. 

Apparently also, and this could have an impact on audax and long distance rides, you're no longer allowed to travel to a lower risk area so presumably Essex based riders can't ride into Suffolk or Hertfordshire.

I bet before long you won't be able to buy a compost bin, along with pasta, flour and toilet roll  ;D

Some clarification on the highlighted text above.  www.gov.uk says...

You can still go on holiday outside of high alert level areas, but you must only do so this with people in your household or support bubble.

It goes on to say...

You should also avoid travelling to any part of the country subject to very high local COVID alert levels.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #15516 on: 16 October, 2020, 01:54:08 pm »
or Wales
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15517 on: 16 October, 2020, 01:56:26 pm »
or Wales

And definitely not whales.

« Reply #15518 on: 16 October, 2020, 02:41:57 pm »

Where are you seeing this guidance?

I'm asking because I've been looking at this as it applies to a volleyball club, and the 2 pieces of guidance I can find on travel from high risk to medium risk areas are:

From Sport England ... https://www.sportengland.org/how-we-can-help/coronavirus/return-play/frequently-asked-questions-return-sport-and-activity

High (Tier 2): Yes, travel for physical activity is allowed within and in/out of the area to fulfil a fixture or attend an organised sporting event. However, it’s recommended that travel is minimised where possible. People shouldn’t travel into very high (Tier 3) alert areas to take part in sport and physical activity. 

From Volleyball England ... https://www.volleyballengland.org/news/article/6162/how-the-new-three-tier-lockdown

People may travel out of an area in the HIGH alert level into an area in the MEDIUM alert level for the purpose of sport. Please take a responsible approach to travel and wear a facemask.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15519 on: 16 October, 2020, 02:50:25 pm »
I wasn't specifically seeking guidance, just thought it was interesting.

« Reply #15520 on: 16 October, 2020, 03:09:36 pm »
Most of the NGB or similar guidance will relate to events organised under the rules of an NGB - ie not MEMWNS.

In audax it is the difference between riding a calendar event and a perm.

That said, I am reading the Tier 2 guidance as allowing travel outside of the area.  Tier 3 specifically forbids it with very limited exceptions.

It will all be different by next week anyway.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15521 on: 19 October, 2020, 04:18:45 pm »
Where to this week?  Obvs this is our first week in T2 but I'm keen to get awheel even if I just make a quick stop for a cheeky pint.  Mind you so far the forecast for Wednesday evening is dry and not too chilly so perhaps we could sit outside somewhere...

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #15522 on: 19 October, 2020, 07:17:06 pm »
We are opening flaps tomorrow, so will be marquee legal for groups of 6 who don't live together. Then again, no heating...
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15523 on: 19 October, 2020, 07:37:24 pm »
We are opening flaps tomorrow, so will be marquee legal for groups of 6 who don't live together. Then again, no heating...

Cool, or indeed a bit chilly. I’d be happy with a trip to The Compasses or equally happy with an alternative.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #15524 on: 19 October, 2020, 07:41:53 pm »
Where to this week?  Obvs this is our first week in T2 but I'm keen to get awheel even if I just make a quick stop for a cheeky pint.  Mind you so far the forecast for Wednesday evening is dry and not too chilly so perhaps we could sit outside somewhere...

Happy to go to an outdoor venue, with suitable extra layers of clothing. The Cross Keys in Hatfield Peverel is possible, enormous marquee - presumably with sides opened up now, table service was good last time. I'd like to continue to support the Spiritual Home though - sitting outside, of course.