Author Topic: Strictly Come Dancing  (Read 26691 times)

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
Re: Strictly Come Dancing
« Reply #50 on: 29 November, 2010, 07:09:13 am »
Indeed, I watched the pro dances tonight and thought that certain members of this forum would probably greatly appreciate the efforts of the costume department today.

So much effort, so little material  :)
Aero but not dynamic

Si

« Reply #51 on: 29 November, 2010, 02:46:55 pm »
I must have a different kind of humour as I don't really find Anne's dancing that funny.

I think that the difference between her and JS is that although really crap, at least he did try to do it properly.  With her, she just says "not doing that, not doing that, not doing that, etc", then out on the floor she makes no effort to do properly the few bits of dancing that are left in the routine.

Does it reflect two kids of fans with in the general public?  Last year (and some other such as Goth) we had people voting for those that started crap but worked really hard to get better.  But with Anne's fans we have people voting for someone who is crap and is making no effort to improve.  Sad if the majority of the public identify with Anne's approach rather than Chris's.

Having said that, some of Anne's 'banter' with the judges at the end can be quite entertaining - and to give her her due, although I find her politics abhorrent, and her personality less than appealing, she's always been a good debater, and able to use her weapons well.

Disappointed about a few other aspects of the show too - Brucie is still there, and now they are allowing all of these props and gizmos, which, for me at least, don't bring much to the dancing, indeed, some of them just seem to get in the way.  And another thing - the dance off should be brought back - the Sunday show is just dull, dull, dull now.

Not that I've ever watched strictly or have any idea of who any of the celebs are, of course

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #52 on: 29 November, 2010, 02:53:58 pm »
Glad I missed this as I don't want to see AW wearing only a small amount of material and using her weapons.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #53 on: 29 November, 2010, 03:15:11 pm »
Quote from: THE DWARF

Has the chest of the big size. To the eye of THE DWARF is the remind of two Zeppelin as come out of hangar (slight leaky perhaps)

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #54 on: 04 December, 2010, 08:03:49 pm »
10 out of 10 for tonight's show, absolutely loved it, even Ann's.   :thumbsup:
Aero but not dynamic

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #55 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:58:52 pm »
Phew !  A close call !

And what about Anton and Erin's Moon River ?  Worth the TV licence fee in its own right...
Aero but not dynamic

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #56 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:59:26 pm »
Oh, thank crunchie for that.

« Reply #57 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:05:54 pm »
I'm confused. Is the Sunday show filmed on the Saturday? The results were leaked last night on several websites.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #58 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:12:46 pm »
I'm confused. Is the Sunday show filmed on the Saturday? The results were leaked last night on several websites.

Indeed it is.  I believe that Len and Bruno are on a transatlantic flight every Sunday.
Aero but not dynamic

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #59 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:18:42 pm »
But with Anne's fans we have people voting for someone who is crap and is making no effort to improve.  Sad if the majority of the public identify with Anne's approach rather than Chris's.

I think you're putting too much thought into the voters' motives. It's not about who they identify with. It's partly about pissing the judges off and partly about recognising that the whole thing is utterly meaningless and doesn't matter. It's a two-fingers to the people who take it seriously.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #60 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:27:54 pm »
Indeed.  Or in my case, not voting for any of them and making a nice cuppa when the ones that I don't like are on. 

However, none of them are leave-the-room bad now, so I don't care who gets into the final and will more than likely enjoy it, unless somebody manages a that-bloke-from-'stenders-that-danced-with-Flavia style muck up of a dance.  Or we get a choreography catastrophe along the lines of Erin-and-whatshisface and the dummies or indeed Brendan-and-the-tall-bird-doing-spider-impersonations in a showdance.

I find it interesting that I can't remember most of the 'slebs names from the earlier series!

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #61 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:31:04 pm »
It's not about who they identify with. It's partly about pissing the judges off and partly about recognising that the whole thing is utterly meaningless and doesn't matter. It's a two-fingers to the people who take it seriously.

Indeed, they are no better than internet trolls.  Lock em up, that's what I say ! (Or at least disconnect their phone lines).  :)
Aero but not dynamic

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #62 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:32:52 pm »
I don't watch it. I allow myself one dross reality show a year, and usually it's X Factor. Where I voted for Wagner.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #63 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:38:45 pm »
See, I can't stand the ones where it's 'ordinary' people competing.  I look at them and can't help thinking that some of them actually believe that this is a real competition that means something and might result in a meaningful career, rather than thinly disguised ritual humiliation and exploitation of people's stupidity and hopes.  As a result I think I've only ever watched 2 episodes of the X-factor ever, and on both occasions it was when I was round at somebody else's house.  At least with the 'celebrity' versions you can hope that the majority of the participants are familiar enough with the machinations of the meeja to know what they're letting themselves in for....

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #64 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:45:59 pm »
dross reality show

I beg your pardon ?  I think you meant to say 'high quality entertainment show'. 
Aero but not dynamic

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #65 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:51:37 pm »
See, I can't stand the ones where it's 'ordinary' people competing.  I look at them and can't help thinking that some of them actually believe that this is a real competition that means something and might result in a meaningful career, rather than thinly disguised ritual humiliation and exploitation of people's stupidity and hopes.  As a result I think I've only ever watched 2 episodes of the X-factor ever, and on both occasions it was when I was round at somebody else's house.  At least with the 'celebrity' versions you can hope that the majority of the participants are familiar enough with the machinations of the meeja to know what they're letting themselves in for....
But some of them do get successful music careers out of it. Will Young, Leona Lewis, Girls Aloud. Lots of the contestants have real talent, but you always get the deluded nutjobs too.

dross reality show

I beg your pardon ?  I think you meant to say 'high quality entertainment show'. 
No, that's Britain's Got Talent.  ;D

Si

« Reply #66 on: 06 December, 2010, 11:59:39 am »
But with Anne's fans we have people voting for someone who is crap and is making no effort to improve.  Sad if the majority of the public identify with Anne's approach rather than Chris's.

I think you're putting too much thought into the voters' motives. It's not about who they identify with. It's partly about pissing the judges off and partly about recognising that the whole thing is utterly meaningless and doesn't matter. It's a two-fingers to the people who take it seriously.

Yep, I am.  But it's my way of sticking two fingers up at people who are sticking two fingers up at the judges by voting for Anne, whom I abhor for non-dancing reasons.

I have to say that if Anne had won then I would have taken my hat off to Anton, as he would have earned it by taking someone who, let's not beat about the bush, just can't dance, and producing choreography that still managed to play to her strengths and encourage people to vote for her.

Any way, the witch is now dead and next week we are going to lose at least one of the the 'good' dancers and Bruno is going to go into rapture about what a travesty it is, and Len is going to tell the public that it is a dancing show, and Gavin's going to go back to pouting when Craig slags him , and Alecia is going to give everyone 10s even if they don't turn up.  So business as usual.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #67 on: 06 December, 2010, 05:14:30 pm »
Widdy is a shocker!
I think she has a few screws loose upstairs.  Toe curlingly embarrassing to see a short fat eccentric elderly woman conniving in her own humiliation on national TV - under the impression that she is somehow 'winning something'. She thinks she is in on the joke but really she is the butt of the joke - she is an outsider in every way and I suspect a lonely and unhappy woman whose bearings came adrift some time ago when she began to see herself as a thing called widdy. More than a touch of Subo there.

A freak show to make the skin crawl.

I voted for her of course - if she is prepared to make an arse of herself then I am delighted to join in and if I can justify my behaviour under the guise of attacking trash TV even better. 
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #68 on: 06 December, 2010, 06:25:43 pm »
But it's just a harmless, fun to be with light entertainment show.  I don't understand why it's attracting all this militant voting 'to prove a point'.  Save that for X Factor.
Aero but not dynamic

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #69 on: 06 December, 2010, 07:31:10 pm »
What's sadder?  Taking part in a show for fun and finding it life-enhancing (AW's words)?  Or watching a show you hate, and voting?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Si

« Reply #70 on: 07 December, 2010, 10:27:03 am »
Or watching a show you hate, and voting?

Hey, we are British - if we didn't have something to hate and moan about we might end up doing something productive, and we can't be having that can we?  ;D

CrinklyLion

« Reply #71 on: 07 December, 2010, 10:40:19 am »
Whereas I really like it (apart from the bits where I have to leave the room or hide behind a cushion like 'Widdy' or Bruce) and it is, in fact, the ONLY tv programme I watch 'live' apart from CBeebies etc with boys - but would never dream of voting.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #72 on: 07 December, 2010, 11:32:01 pm »
I love it.

Some of the dancing is superb and the I find the work that (some) of the celebs put into it is inspiring. Pamela Stevenson has been a joy to watch as has been Natalie who has clearly enjoyed her partnership with Scott  despite having (probably) danced with some of the best leads in the world.

Sure, it's not for everyone but then neither is autoerotic asphyxia. Still you don't have to try it to appreciate that some people really are into that sort of thing.

H

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #73 on: 08 December, 2010, 12:20:11 am »
An orange and a pair of tights for that man!  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #74 on: 08 December, 2010, 12:21:02 am »