Author Topic: Does anyone know which cassette(s) fit this hub?  (Read 1923 times)

Does anyone know which cassette(s) fit this hub?
« on: 15 August, 2020, 03:02:51 pm »
A request for my mate Christian who is building up a bike with a pair of wheels supplied by the owner. He needs to replace the cassette and none of the cassettes that he has, Campag or Shimano match the splines. I had thought that all Mavic hubs used the Shimano spline pattern but I am probably confusing them with the TA custom cassette system (that had spacers to fit the Campag spacing on Shimano splines for Campag users). Anyway all we have doesn't fit!

Any help gratefully received, the owner is insisting on his wheels, even though the colour doesn't match the frame!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Does anyone know which cassette(s) fit this hub?
« Reply #1 on: 15 August, 2020, 03:17:30 pm »
Mavic has made both Shimano- and Campag-compatible freehubs for quite a while. Their 9/10 Shimano spline was wider than Shimano at the time and required an extra spacer but suits 11sp. I vaguely recall a unique Mavic spline many years ago but don’t trust my memory. What are the measurements? In what way doesn’t a Shimano cassette fit?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 15 August, 2020, 03:29:41 pm »
Mavic has made both Shimano- and Campag-compatible freehubs for quite a while. Their 9/10 Shimano spline was wider that Shimano at the time and required an extra spacer but suits 11sp. I vaguely recall a unique Mavic spline many years ago but don’t trust my memory. What are the measurements? In what way doesn’t a Shimano cassette fit?

I'm not in a position right now to go back and measure but the big difference between this one and a Shimano one is that this has all the splines the same width rather than the one slightly wider spline like on a Shimano pattern.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 15 August, 2020, 03:43:02 pm »
8 identical splines? That would be 8sp Campag-compatible. Later Campag cassettes had an asymmetric spline.
9 splines points towards Shimano. Uniglide cassette splines were identical.

« Reply #4 on: 15 August, 2020, 04:01:50 pm »
8 identical splines? That would be 8sp Campag-compatible. Later Campag cassettes had an asymmetric spline.
9 splines points towards Shimano. Uniglide cassette splines were identical.

Thanks, that seems to have pretty much all the bases covered. I will pass it back to the man and say thank you very much on his behalf (the rest of the transmission is Mirage so I hope he has the right number of speeds!). Presumably the ultimate solution is to change the freebody to suit the cassette you want to use!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 15 August, 2020, 04:38:06 pm »
https://branfordbike.com/new-page-1 also shows a couple of Campagnolo cassette spline iterations that I had forgotten existed.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html explains most Shimano cassette spline variations.

« Reply #6 on: 15 August, 2020, 08:02:39 pm »
if the spline is shimano UG the freehub body will have 9 identical splines but it will  also have external screw threads on it for the top sprocket. No screw threads = not UG.

The early 8s campag stuff with 8 identical splines is a sprocket format that is still used by miche/ambrosio and you can still buy cassettes that fit this; in some cases a small modification is required, so check first.

There was a mavic cassette spline for a few years but I don't really know anything about that since I steered clear.

NB it is also possible to make sprockets from  a current campag cassette fit any older campag cassette hub freewheel body; the major diameter of the spline is always the same, so it is a question of grinding the ID/profile of the sprockets to fit, respacing if necessary and using the correct lockring that matches the hub. Since you don't have to grind the major diameter of the sprocket spline, the sprocket will always run concentrically when mounted.

cheers

« Reply #7 on: 15 August, 2020, 08:12:12 pm »
ah, when I saw this I had an involuntary shudder

Mavic 570 cassette hub

I'd all but blotted the memory of these out. Not one of these then....

Might be one of these though?

Mavic 577; uses 'mavic only' cassettes

cassettes for these are all but extinct?

Thinking about it if the spline has eight ribs and the major diameter matches any other campag, it is quite likely to be an early campag 8s spline.  I've got a few of these kicking about so I can do some further measurements if necessary.

cheers

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 15 August, 2020, 09:04:59 pm »
I didn’t know about that Helicomatic style cassette.

Mavic’s scalloped splines was what I had vaguely recalled.
http://pardo.net/bike/pic/mobi/d.mavic-571/000.html

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #9 on: 15 August, 2020, 09:32:23 pm »
i'd write to mavic and hope that at least one person would know..

or better, to avoid frustration with obscure/obsolete parts, use what is currently widely adopted.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #10 on: 16 August, 2020, 07:41:06 pm »
I think that's a Shimano UG pattern freehub although I can't see evidence of an external thread on the end of the splines...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #11 on: 17 August, 2020, 10:41:13 pm »

or better, to avoid frustration with obscure/obsolete parts, use what is currently widely adopted.

This is not an option, as indicated above (and one doesn't argue with retired french butchers, which is what the owner is!)
I think that's a Shimano UG pattern freehub although I can't see evidence of an external thread on the end of the splines...

I knew I should have taken the photo from the other side! I have no recollection of an external thread though - and Campag is more common in this part of the world.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #12 on: 18 August, 2020, 09:06:57 pm »

My first thought was the above, simply because the splines didn't look deep enough to be Campag. I don't recall how an 8 speed Campag freehub looks as it's years since I've seen one.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13 on: 18 August, 2020, 09:15:13 pm »
Have a look at the Branford Bike link upthread for Campag variations.

« Reply #14 on: 18 August, 2020, 10:16:46 pm »
the original campag spline (for 7s and 8s cassette hubs which used the 'alphabet' sprocket timing) was entirely symmetrical and had 8 splines

Notably the 7s/8s campag spline ridges are full length (i.e. they end pretty much flush with the RH end of the freewheel body) which means even if you don't know how many  splines there are, you are almost certain it isn't any shimano cassette hub, (the possible exception being HG-only first version, which wouldn't accept an 11T sprocket; this also had full length splines; this was quickly replaced by HG-C which has a relief at the RH end of the splines; all subsequent HG freehub bodies are really HG-C type, although they don't say so).

Exa-drive 8s used a 'wide timing spline' on the freewheel body but was otherwise like the previous campag spline. This means that 8s Exa drive sprockets will fit on older 7s/8s campag freewheel bodies and so will the relevant Miche sprockets (which you can still buy) too.  What I don't know is how many variation of lockring thread there are; IIRC the 8s hubs with the shallow spline all used a lockring with a larger screw thread than later hubs; Mavic may have used a different lockring thread again, even if they made a given spline type on the freehub body.

cheers