Author Topic: The Archers  (Read 71063 times)

Re: The Archers
« Reply #75 on: 04 March, 2012, 11:01:39 am »
It's all that righteous organic veg he eats...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #76 on: 04 March, 2012, 11:07:59 am »
Ha, funny you should bring this up, because I was just reading the #thearchers feed on Twitter and laughing - it's amazing the different perceptions of one story. I'm fed up listening to Tony's sighing and whinging and would gladly have seen the back of him - but there's loads of people who hate Tom and feel sorry for his put-upon Dad. 

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #77 on: 04 March, 2012, 11:09:55 am »
For someone living out in the Styx, the ambulance didn't half get there quickly.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #78 on: 04 March, 2012, 11:22:35 am »
For someone living out in the Styx, the ambulance didn't half get there quickly.

I think the Borsetshire Ambulance Trust has a vehicle that roams the Ambridge area specially, because of the high incident rate.

Actually, from what I've heard about the number of accidents on farms, I wonder if The Archers are actually below the national average. It's not often anyone gets their leg caught in a slurry screw (a thing I saw on Helicopter Heroes).

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #79 on: 04 March, 2012, 06:55:51 pm »
Ha, funny you should bring this up, because I was just reading the #thearchers feed on Twitter and laughing - it's amazing the different perceptions of one story. I'm fed up listening to Tony's sighing and whinging and would gladly have seen the back of him - but there's loads of people who hate Tom and feel sorry for his put-upon Dad. 

I regard Tom as a git of the first order, really gets on my wick.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #80 on: 12 July, 2012, 02:16:17 pm »
There's just been some awfully dramatic-sounding shouting coming from the radio in the other room. Something to do with someone called Josh? I must ask Mrs Wow and catch up on the last 6 months or so.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #81 on: 12 July, 2012, 02:35:45 pm »
Both Josh and George - next generation of Ambridge residents roasted to a crisp?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #82 on: 12 July, 2012, 06:32:48 pm »

There's an 8 minute response time target for all Cat A calls - irrespective of where you are.  In fact, sometimes you'll get an ambulance more quickly in rural areas that in urban areas, as they have less traffic to contend with.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #83 on: 12 July, 2012, 08:38:49 pm »
It is alleged that a Yorkshireman was "responsible" for the First Big Fire In Ambridge.

« Reply #84 on: 12 July, 2012, 09:57:22 pm »
Well they had me going. They kept banging on about teh extra gas bottles, I was sure there would be a huge explosion but they were just a red herring in the plot.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #85 on: 12 July, 2012, 10:01:04 pm »
However, whoever witnessed the arsonist running away mentioned that he tripped and fell when crossing a field. He will, at that moment, have left some vital clue behind which will reveal his, and his accomplices' identity. Justice will take its course.

« Reply #86 on: 12 July, 2012, 10:22:34 pm »
Both Josh and George - next generation of Ambridge residents roasted to a crisp?

I was sure one of them was a goner, fallen prey to that awkward child actor stage where on telly they'd go on holiday for three years and come back with a different head.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #87 on: 12 July, 2012, 10:24:15 pm »
It's not real you know! It's only actors in a studio! Never been near a farm most of them!   :facepalm:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #88 on: 12 July, 2012, 11:14:07 pm »
Not real?

It's a FOTWD, innit.  With hidden micropohones.

« Reply #89 on: 30 July, 2012, 07:15:37 pm »
OMG!

Vicky's up the duff!

:o

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #90 on: 30 July, 2012, 07:35:29 pm »
Yay, Wooly/

Oh, sorry.

I'll get my jumper.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #91 on: 28 November, 2012, 07:17:29 pm »
The Archers, in order to show how aware the programme makers are, has within its virtual cast a bovine named Wiggo. Ruth Archer used its name four times within a 5-minute spell at lunch time today.

I'm not certain, but I think that this may be the first time in over 150 years of the Archers that there has been a cycling reference.

« Reply #92 on: 28 November, 2012, 07:24:11 pm »
Not true. Linda Snell and Nigel Pargiter both utility cyclists.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #93 on: 28 November, 2012, 07:28:47 pm »
Not true. Linda Snell and Nigel Pargiter both utility cyclists.

The late Nigel Pargiter...

« Reply #94 on: 28 November, 2012, 07:37:13 pm »
You're forgetting that before Caroline Bone settled down with Oliver Sterling she was considered the village bike.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #95 on: 28 November, 2012, 09:18:07 pm »
You're forgetting that before Caroline Bone settled down with Oliver Sterling she was considered the village bike.

Unfairly so. umra* would have it that Saint Shula shagged her way round the parish, starting with a roll in the hay with Encarta Neil Carter.

* a newsgroup m'lud, for the sort of people who might listen to The Archers.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #96 on: 29 November, 2012, 12:00:28 pm »
Isn't Harry the Saintly Milkman a cyclist? Before he moved in with Jazzer, he used to cycle over to Ambridge from Borchester to do his milk round.

I may be behind the times - I gave up listening to the Archers shortly after the demise of Nigel Pargeter, though I still hear it accidentally now and again and I knew about Wiggo the Cow. The recent storyline involving Lilian's odious son, Robert Snell's odious daughter, the odious Lilian and the odious Matt's odious half-brother is cringeworthy even by Archers standards.

On a tangential note, I've been reading EF Benson's brilliantly funny Mapp & Lucia books lately. My wife made the astute observation that Lynda Snell is clearly based on Lucia. When you realise this, it becomes painfully obvious.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #97 on: 29 November, 2012, 12:12:09 pm »
I recall mention of naughty mountain bikers upsetting walkers on some local hill.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #98 on: 29 November, 2012, 12:59:04 pm »
Isn't Harry the Saintly Milkman a cyclist? Before he moved in with Jazzer, he used to cycle over to Ambridge from Borchester to do his milk round.
True. He had pictures of lycra clad men on his bedroom wall. Except he's now left. Fallon had the hots for him big time and they went off on holibobs (with Jazzer and Kirsty) to see the Edinburgh fringe. But Fallon's van broke down near and old (male) college friend of Harry's. And Harry suddenly remembered he was gay and got together with his old college friend.

You'll be glad to know Fallon hasn't been adversely affected by this and is now shagging Rhys, the Welsh barman.

« Reply #99 on: 29 November, 2012, 01:11:38 pm »
... who also rides a bike.  He did last week anyway, or would have, had Fallon let him 'ride his bike on those lanes in the dark'.