Author Topic: High sitting optical glasses  (Read 1234 times)

High sitting optical glasses
« on: 18 December, 2023, 08:31:09 am »
Actually it's been a struggle for me since the 80's when sports glasses really kicked off.

I have a very narrow bridge, the tops of all my glasses sit under my eyebrows.
So when riding I'm looking over the rims. Add a bit of sweat and they'll drop lower.
I simply can't ride with my head bolt upright, not really sure if that's normal?

I have remedied it with getting contacts. And a pair of Sun God clear glasses (thanks to the trend of huge glasses) but if I have an issue with contacts whilst out it's a big problem. Plus its a bit of a pita for nipping about.

So would anyone have any recommendations, other than getiing some Ray Reardons 

Re: High sitting optical glasses
« Reply #1 on: 18 December, 2023, 08:58:49 am »
You aren't alone. My eyes are placed high relative to my nose. I have to wear Varifocals, and these need the centre of the lens quite high - so I'm very restricted in styles that I can wear.

Modern fashions don't work well for me.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 18 December, 2023, 09:28:43 am »

Ray Reardon’s glasses are decidedly ordinary; Dennis Taylor’s glasses would be more the type to use.

« Reply #3 on: 18 December, 2023, 03:39:53 pm »

Ray Reardon’s glasses are decidedly ordinary; Dennis Taylor’s glasses would be more the type to use.

I got my pool players mixed up!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 18 December, 2023, 08:02:00 pm »
Can't your optometrist help you find & fit suitable frames?

Tou do need to be very specfic to get things just right...

« Reply #5 on: 19 December, 2023, 06:49:23 pm »
I don't know if my bridge is very narrow but I too find that my glasses surround sits in my vision when riding.  RxSport offer a trial service.  I have just sent for a pair of Rudy Cutline with inner to see if it solves the problem.  £7.50 plus cost of return postage to try them.

« Reply #6 on: 19 December, 2023, 07:10:48 pm »
You need Dennis Taylor glasses

« Reply #7 on: 19 December, 2023, 07:49:58 pm »
I have some issues, but fortunately I am long-sighted, so I'm not too bad riding except when reading a GPS or something. I too wear varifocals and, as has been said, the centre of the lens needs to be positioned correctly. Since, cycling, your head does tend to be dipped a little, the glasses are always wrong. I sometimes end up looking over the rims. I've broadly adapted though and never got around to looking for cycling-specific glasses. And yes, I'd need Dennis Taylor ones.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #8 on: 19 December, 2023, 08:05:37 pm »
I didn't realise that my varifocals slipped down my nose so often until I was walking in the rain in a cape with my arms inside the cape, and it was therefore a minor faff to free my arms to push my glasses back up. Again and again.

Since then I've tried these to keep them in place, which they do when I'm on a bike or running, but not the most elegant things.

Also these which stick to the glasses and narrow the bridge. They don't stop the glasses slipping completely, but my impression is that they stay up for longer.

Both imperfect solutions, but cheap and worth trying.

Next time I need new glasses I'll try to get some which actually sit in the right position.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #9 on: 19 December, 2023, 08:27:18 pm »
When I needed new varifocals after cataract surgery, I had a right struggle to find a suitable frame.
Every pair I tried sat too low down my nose.  I wanted a frame with adjustable nosepieces (and flexible arms.)
The adjustable nosepieces can be pinched in so the frame sits higher, and can be re-set every so often as they gradually sag.
Eventually, the dispenser ordered a pair from a children and teenagers range (I'm in my late 70s).
Not only are they just what I wanted, they were about £100 cheaper than anything else I had tried!

« Reply #10 on: 19 December, 2023, 10:09:38 pm »
The solution is the Opti-Grab.
What's this bottom line for anyway?

« Reply #11 on: 23 December, 2023, 11:39:20 am »
The Rudy prescription insert has a frame on it which would be directly in my eye line.  Took them out of the box tried them on and put them back in the box.  Waste of time