Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 836140 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #6900 on: 29 January, 2024, 07:50:49 pm »
Yes, at least one.  She mainly sticks in my mind (apart from her autism) because of her work for the humane treatment of animals, especially in the Chicago stockyard/slaughterhouses.  She is a fantastic example of why it is wrong to dismiss autistic people, which, sadly, happens all the time.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6901 on: 29 January, 2024, 11:38:50 pm »
The latest (I think) Richard Osman Thursday Murder Club offering , "The Bullet That Missed". In my head Ron's voice is that of Stan from Ed Reardon's Week.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #6902 on: 30 January, 2024, 04:58:47 pm »
Does Elgar feature?!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6903 on: 30 January, 2024, 08:01:22 pm »
I hate to break the news to you but…

(click to show/hide)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6904 on: 02 February, 2024, 11:46:58 pm »
Yes, I knew that - but are you saying he doesn't live on in your head?

« Reply #6905 on: 21 February, 2024, 08:34:37 pm »
As a Bowie obsessive I was surprised to DNF "age of bowie" which I had heard much good.

Immediately forgettable and dull.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

sam

« Reply #6906 on: 27 February, 2024, 09:01:37 pm »

Research.

« Reply #6907 on: 27 February, 2024, 10:06:41 pm »
Frank Herbert; Heretics of Dune. Excellent, always something new to be found when rereading.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6908 on: 27 February, 2024, 10:25:21 pm »
A bio of Bill Evans - 'How My Heart Sings'. Very good but it's taking an age to get through it because I have to go off to listen to each album as it gets discussed in turn.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6909 on: 28 February, 2024, 11:04:29 am »
I hate to break the news to you but…

(click to show/hide)

Google Books probably hasn't heard. Their front page just announced "NEW from H.G. Wells".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #6910 on: 11 March, 2024, 03:15:56 pm »
Just finished Faber's Under the Skin, the one that was made into a movie with Scarlet Johannsen and shot using unsuspecting members of the public around Glasgow.

Having already read The Crimson Petal and the White, I'm starting to think Mr Faber has a thing for disfigured/scarred women.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #6911 on: 11 March, 2024, 05:55:40 pm »
Horned Pigeon, a book by George Millar, who was in The Rifle Brigade in North Africa in WW2.  Marginally relevant for me as I was in their cadet force (it was compulsory, even for cowards).  It's about his capture and subsequent attempts to escape.  I won't say anymore, other than that it's very long but well worth persevering with.  Have any of you read it?  George Millar has a wiki page, if you want to check.  A fascinating character.

« Reply #6912 on: 15 March, 2024, 01:08:51 pm »
Not what I'm reading, but I just discovered this Grauniad series

https://www.theguardian.com/books/series/the-books-of-my-life

It's quite quick and easy to see if you share commonality with a contributor, and (as you might expect if you are being interviewed) there are some interesting choices.

jwo

« Reply #6913 on: 18 March, 2024, 07:07:01 pm »
I've just started 'End To End', by Paul Jones, lent to me by a friend.
In introducing his own cycling credentials, he says he's done "lots of things on a bike but endurance cycling is not one of them."
But he certainly gets it!
He refers to audax saying that he likes to dot watch audaxers (and Transcontinental riders) "in their quest for utter degradation and fatigue, sleeping for seven micro-seconds in a farmer's gateway with a discarded copy of Razzle and a used prophylactic for a pillow."

Thanks for the heads up; I've just started it and it looks like it'll be a good read.

Just finished this; highly recommended and up there with the best of cycling themed paperbacks. It is very well written and far more than an account of end to end records, more of the journey than the destination. Very audax-adjacent with several members of this forum getting a mention including Steve Abraham and the much missed Damon Peacock. Anyone who has participated in and suffered in an endurance event will find resonances thought this book.

« Reply #6914 on: 18 March, 2024, 07:56:11 pm »
I've just started 'End To End', by Paul Jones, lent to me by a friend.
In introducing his own cycling credentials, he says he's done "lots of things on a bike but endurance cycling is not one of them."
But he certainly gets it!
He refers to audax saying that he likes to dot watch audaxers (and Transcontinental riders) "in their quest for utter degradation and fatigue, sleeping for seven micro-seconds in a farmer's gateway with a discarded copy of Razzle and a used prophylactic for a pillow."

Thanks for the heads up; I've just started it and it looks like it'll be a good read.

Just finished this; highly recommended and up there with the best of cycling themed paperbacks. It is very well written and far more than an account of end to end records, more of the journey than the destination. Very audax-adjacent with several members of this forum getting a mention including Steve Abraham and the much missed Damon Peacock. Anyone who has participated in and suffered in an endurance event will find resonances thought this book.

IDidn't report back! I agree wholeheartedly with jwo.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6915 on: 24 March, 2024, 04:35:07 pm »
Re-reading KSR's The Years of Rice and Salt. The first 650 of its almost 800pp are fascinating and enjoyable, but

(click to show/hide)

I'm grinding through it, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

« Reply #6916 on: 25 March, 2024, 12:53:28 pm »
Not what I'm reading, but I just discovered this Grauniad series

https://www.theguardian.com/books/series/the-books-of-my-life

It's quite quick and easy to see if you share commonality with a contributor, and (as you might expect if you are being interviewed) there are some interesting choices.

"Benjamin Myers: 'My comfort read? Viz'"

Explains a lot.  ;D

I love Julian Barnes and I share his love of EM Forster, Ford Madox Ford, Persuasion and Middlemarch, so perhaps I ought to investigate some of his other recommendations.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6917 on: 25 March, 2024, 01:59:05 pm »
I read his (Benjamin Myers) The Perfect Golden Circle a couple of years back and thought it was weird, in a good way, and that I must try another. And then forgot. Can you recommend one?

citoyen

« Reply #6918 on: 25 March, 2024, 03:17:57 pm »
I read his (Benjamin Myers) The Perfect Golden Circle a couple of years back and thought it was weird, in a good way, and that I must try another. And then forgot. Can you recommend one?

My impressions of Benjamin Myers are based largely on having read Gallows Pole, which I absolutely loved, so I would definitely recommend that.

"Weird in a good way" sums him up pretty well for me!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6919 on: Yesterday at 05:02:47 pm »
I'm on the epilogue of Alistair moffats "to the island of tides

I have packed
"football against the enemy" and "the age of bede" for my holiday reading

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6920 on: Yesterday at 10:16:08 pm »
I just finished The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi.  Clearly well-researched, but suffers from a lack of characters.  Would probably make a good action movie.

(click to show/hide)