Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 956517 times)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #7675 on: 12 December, 2017, 09:13:35 am »
12 Monkeys

I've been hankering after seeing Brazil again recently but I don't have a copy of it and it's not on any streaming service. But I noticed 12 Monkeys was on telly and that's the next best thing. It has aged surprisingly well. Most enjoyable. Brad Pitt is still as annoying as ever though.

Wonderful film.

Ever since I saw 'Tom's Midnight Garden' when I was a teenager I think I've been drawn to love stories across time. 

'12 Monkeys' is such a film, with a similar revelation.   'Terminator' is another (Yes, it's a love story at heart).  'Eternal Sunshine....' and so on.

I've never seen "La Jetee" which was apparently the inspiration for 12 Monkeys but would be curious to.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7676 on: 12 December, 2017, 01:18:29 pm »
I've never seen "La Jetee" which was apparently the inspiration for 12 Monkeys but would be curious to.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #7677 on: 12 December, 2017, 07:00:27 pm »

Ever since I saw 'Tom's Midnight Garden' when I was a teenager I think I've been drawn to love stories across time. 

May I recommend avoiding "The Time Traveller's Wife" then.  Stunning book; dire film.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #7678 on: 12 December, 2017, 09:31:36 pm »
Started watching Rams, then found we had no subtitles.  :facepalm:

So watched Free Fire. Maybe not to everyone's taste, but Ben Wheatley rarely is. Also Gifted much better than it sounds, and About Time yet another posh young people with a sense of humour fall in love in London film, but without any of the humanity or cleverness of the other ones. Dire.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

fuzzy

« Reply #7679 on: 16 December, 2017, 11:21:14 pm »
Billion Dollar Brain

Harry Palmer nd GBFO computers. Reel to reel tape and punch cards :o

Happy days :D

Thanks to Honywell for the loan of their facilties whilst making this filum.

:thumbsup:

spindrift

« Reply #7680 on: 17 December, 2017, 10:41:20 am »
A film starts. The action hero star is on a happy day out with his attractive, laughing daughter. Predictably, something bad happens and the grieving father with a mysterious past (Jackie Chan) decides that to sort it out he must take the fight to the top Irish terrorist politician (Pierce Brosnan).

Straight to Netflix:

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/pierce-brosnan-as-gerry-adams-the-movie-you-need-to-see-now-1.3327490

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7681 on: 17 December, 2017, 11:18:16 am »
The Adjustment Bureau on NF. Not bad. Retains the 1950s P.K.Dickish flavour.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7682 on: 17 December, 2017, 07:43:50 pm »
Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Not bad, but not great either. Too busy and too many stories going on. Carrie Fisher is really struggling in it.
(click to show/hide)

One of the better things, is Kathleen Kennedy living up to her word and putting in more a more diverse group of characters, without turning them into gender/racial stereotypes. It was noticeable in a good way.

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #7683 on: 17 December, 2017, 08:55:09 pm »
Happy End dir Michael Haneke

Apparently you can see any film in Bristol this weekend (as long as it's 'The Last Jedi' !)

trailer....
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5304464/videoplayer/vi3467753497?ref_=tt_ov_vi

Observational cinema, hey ?

Sometimes it felt like prying - am I supposed  to be seeing this, reading these Emails
( a bit of footage on iPhone and sexting on a laptop).

And then there's the plot - you need to fill in the gaps 'cos the director sure anti;t gonna spell it out for you.
Well it's  French film, innit nest-ce pas ?

No on screen sex but more than a hint of the alpha male star siring children here and there (he is a surgeon).

And the poor emotional waif of a grand-daughter growing up in this mixed up family.
Towards the end , oddly, in comes British actor Toby Jones to sort it all out.
Except he doesn't.                                                                    Great fun ! 7/10

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7684 on: 17 December, 2017, 11:41:27 pm »
A film starts. The action hero star is on a happy day out with his attractive, laughing daughter. Predictably, something bad happens and the grieving father with a mysterious past (Jackie Chan) decides that to sort it out he must take the fight to the top Irish terrorist politician (Pierce Brosnan).

Straight to Netflix:

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/pierce-brosnan-as-gerry-adams-the-movie-you-need-to-see-now-1.3327490

What did I just watch?  It's a work of insane genius that this wasn't set in the early 1990s.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #7685 on: 18 December, 2017, 08:53:03 am »
Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Not bad, but not great either.

I took my 10 year-old to see it. It's the first time I've been to see one of them in the cinema. All the others I've seen for the first time on DVD over the past couple of years as he's been watching them with parental supervision. 

What can I say?  The script has more holes than Blackburn, Lancashire - the one Jakob describes beneath his spoiler is huge, but they are everywhere.  The underlying story seems to be kind of jamboree bag of cod mysticism, half-baked ideas from Tolkein's and JK Rowling's discarded notebooks, and lots of REALLY LOUD explosions.  I've seen more engaging characters, and acting, on In The Night Garden, particularly poor Carrie Fisher, whose character seems to spend most of the film wandering around wearing the expression of someone who has just realised that she has put a red sock in with the white bedding. And every major character is clearly half-human, half-cat, using up their nine lives every half hour or so, yet having still more available. 

Can you guess that I really didn't like it? 
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

hillbilly

« Reply #7686 on: 18 December, 2017, 11:33:10 am »
Saw Star Wars: the Last Jedi on the Imax screen in London (first time there, it was most impressive).

Unlike Force Awakens I won't be going to see it a second time at the cinema, but will watch it again when it comes out on telly. 

Basically it's an above average film but it left me feeling less excited and engaged at the end than at the start.  I suspect because whilst the character and story development is there, with some great sequences and solid acting, the film ends with a lack of menace and a vague feeling of inevitability.  A bit of a missed opportunity.

« Reply #7687 on: 18 December, 2017, 06:01:21 pm »
..and parts were a bit overlong. 

I came late to Starwars and once I understood the not inconsiderable mental adjustments required, quite enjoy them.   The ending of course was not the end but the new beginning.   
Move Faster and Bake Things

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7688 on: 19 December, 2017, 02:24:52 pm »
It's basically The Empire Strikes Back but a bit more complicated.  I completely missed Adrian Edmondson as a First Order general.  Yes, there is a total lack of logic in the action (Carrie Fisher has probably the weirdest trick) but that's not really the point.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

spindrift

« Reply #7689 on: 19 December, 2017, 03:42:10 pm »
Carrie Fisher's weirdest trick is shit, also lame.

« Reply #7690 on: 19 December, 2017, 09:37:05 pm »
Finally got around to watch Valerian.
I grew up with the comic, although haven't read/seen it for what, 30+ years?.
I really wanted to like it and parts of it *is* good...but the timing is always just a bit odd.

fuzzy

« Reply #7691 on: 19 December, 2017, 11:09:13 pm »
Tonight was Coogans Bluff- old but Clint rools, followed by Anchorman- The Legend of Ron Burgundy which was so bad it was brilliant ;D

fuzzy

« Reply #7692 on: 20 December, 2017, 11:30:48 pm »
Tonight I was exposed to an unexpected British delight.

I give you May I Kill You?

(click to show/hide)

Made me laugh and also cinematised some dark fantasies for me and many other current and ex cops I suspect ;)

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #7693 on: 21 December, 2017, 09:37:26 am »
Tonight I was exposed to an unexpected British delight.

I give you May I Kill You?

(click to show/hide)

Made me laugh and also cinematised some dark fantasies for me and many other current and ex cops I suspect ;)

That looks like my sort of terrible.

« Reply #7694 on: 21 December, 2017, 11:19:21 am »
... There's a 1980s TV film on the same subject called the Red Monarch - not currently generally available on dvd (going for £30 on Amazon which is way too expensive) ...

It is on YouTube, in its entirety (I think), but with Polish over-dubbing !  A cursory play suggests you can mostly hear the English, but the Polish is obviously somewhat distracting, especially if you don't don't understand it.  I had a search for the English subtitles, but the best I can find is Russian.  I could run that through machine translation, to generate an English subtitles file (I've done this before!) but that's starting to verge on being a bit ridiculous, and would probably be seriously mangled English, at best.

CZERWONY MONARCHA cały film / lektor pl
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #7695 on: 21 December, 2017, 11:42:53 am »
I'll wait for the rerelease.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7696 on: 22 December, 2017, 05:33:27 pm »

May I recommend avoiding "The Time Traveller's Wife" then.  Stunning book; dire film.

Seen the film.  I'll download the book.  Cheers
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7697 on: 22 December, 2017, 05:35:28 pm »
GET OUT

An excellent modern suspense/horror film with plenty of dark humour.

A black guy is invited to his white girlfriend's ever so liberal parents' for the weekend.

The tense build-up is better than the finale (the scariest images are always in your imagination) but it's a good watch.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7698 on: 25 December, 2017, 09:39:51 pm »
Dunkirk

Not as Epic as I had surmised though might have lost something in translation to DVD.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7699 on: 26 December, 2017, 01:39:28 am »
UP

Quite a few plot holes in it.
It is simpler than it looks.