Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 955797 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2375 on: 08 May, 2012, 01:11:20 pm »
Chronicle.

It's ok, but just ok.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

fuzzy

« Reply #2376 on: 08 May, 2012, 01:22:52 pm »
Last night ot the TV- Trading Places :thumbsup:

« Reply #2377 on: 09 May, 2012, 11:44:42 am »
The Day of the Jackal. 

A really good thriller (No, not the 1997 remake of course, the one with Edward Fox!)

The two best actors of course played the Jackal and Inspector Lebel. 

Authenticity not perfect,  a lack of French actors such as those in the French Connection films alongside Gene Hackman, the difficult job of making Paris appear as it did 10 years earlier and for some reason, at the end in a dramatic foreground shot it was raining but it wasn't raining a little further away!   Any more specific and it would be a spoiler.

Move Faster and Bake Things

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2378 on: 09 May, 2012, 11:50:53 am »
Watched 'Tower Heist' last night. Stupidly good fun  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2379 on: 11 May, 2012, 08:01:57 am »
Apocalypse Now.  An excellent film that proves we learn nothing.

« Reply #2380 on: 11 May, 2012, 08:25:33 am »
Is it just me that finds the last section of AN too dark, and tedious...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

AndyK

« Reply #2381 on: 11 May, 2012, 09:09:49 am »
World Of The Dead: Zombie Diaries 2. Very low budget British film. Much better than I expected.

« Reply #2382 on: 11 May, 2012, 01:23:02 pm »
Not a film per se, but rather, the trailer for the Raid. Definitely opened my eyes and made me really want to go see it. Strong feeling its one of those movies that gives a rush first time you see it, like the Matrix.

Frere

« Reply #2383 on: 11 May, 2012, 01:51:01 pm »
Is it just me that finds the last section of AN too dark, and tedious...

IMO it's the crux of the film and a very difficult part to get over to an audience, some directors would have taken a different approach but I think Coppola get it about right.  Despite being a film about an episode in war, I don't view it as being in the same genre as Saving Private Ryan so might not suit all-action buffs. 

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2384 on: 12 May, 2012, 09:46:27 pm »
Tron: Legacy   :thumbsup:
Heres hoping for a sequel! 

AndyK

« Reply #2385 on: 12 May, 2012, 10:18:53 pm »
Tron: Legacy   :thumbsup:
Heres hoping for a sequel!

Tron: Legacy is the sequel. I waited 28 years for it. Any follow without Jeff Bridges won't be worth watching ;) There is an animated TV series on the way called Tron: Uprising.

simonp

« Reply #2386 on: 12 May, 2012, 10:54:32 pm »
Avengers Assemble (on Monday) in 3D. Very, very good. My first 3D fillum.

What I want is to be able to buy prescription 3D glasses.

AndyK

« Reply #2387 on: 13 May, 2012, 08:07:50 am »
I wasn't over enamoured with 3D, the layers were obvious. It felt like I was watching an old child's toy theatre with the card-cutout actors.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2388 on: 13 May, 2012, 03:27:16 pm »
Snakes on a Plane.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #2389 on: 13 May, 2012, 11:33:28 pm »
Sucker punch. How did I miss this one? Great music, steam-punk German cyborg WWI soildiers, dragons and zombies, and, er, women in....well, I really enjoyed it.
Now have to go out and buy music.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Steph

« Reply #2390 on: 13 May, 2012, 11:51:48 pm »
Interestingly, with all the 'jumping out of the chopper' bits, the other cheapo DVD i bought was 'Pathfinders'. I was going to say 'unmitigated shit', but it isn't. Every single moment of it is so bad, so wrong, that the film exerts an attraction on the retina that cannot be overcome.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2391 on: 14 May, 2012, 01:57:21 pm »
The lure of Dark Shadows tempted us away from Avengers, and I'm rather glad.

Typical brilliant bonkers Burton stuff, one of his better ones.

The story was a little over-busy, with a slightly drawn-out ending, but everything else was brilliant. Eva Green was a revelation (she's just been wasted in everything else I've seen). Bonham-Carter brilliant as ever (although her part was a bit 2ry). Lots of brilliant visual touches. Depp was ... well just superb as usual! (how great is his life?!?)

Early on there was a lot of great humour around the vampire trying to get used to 1972 and his 'new' home, but I'm glad Burton didn't do TOO much of this - it would have worn thin. Having said that, the scene around the hippies' campfire was just too precious to leave out  ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2392 on: 15 May, 2012, 05:53:24 pm »
Eva Green was a revelation (she's just been wasted in everything else I've seen).

Have you seen Kingdom of Heaven?

She is just fantastic in that.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2393 on: 15 May, 2012, 06:34:23 pm »
The green hornet, made us laugh

« Reply #2394 on: 16 May, 2012, 10:26:11 am »
Dark Shadows.

Took MrsCharly and younger MrsCharly to see this for MrsCharly's birthday.

It's a B movie made with Tim Burton production standards, so gloriously rich visuals and music. Lots of fun, but wouldn't rate it as his best (Corpse Bride is his finest, IMO).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LEE

« Reply #2395 on: 16 May, 2012, 01:01:42 pm »
I wasn't over enamoured with 3D, the layers were obvious. It felt like I was watching an old child's toy theatre with the card-cutout actors.

Probably retro-fitted 3D.  Not all 3D films are shot with a stereoscopic camera.  "Alice in Wonderland" was, apparently, retro-fitted, with cardboard cut-out consequences.  There's almost no reason to do this as it never improved a film.

None of my favourite films would be any better in 3D, in fact most of my favourite films (maybe all of them) would be perfectly watchable in Black and White.  They may even be better as I've always felt that monochrome (film and photos) allows you to concentrate on the more important details.

Anything that distracts from the story and makes you aware that you are watching actors in a film, is surplus to my requirements.  Dustin Hoffman always makes me realise I'm watching an actor, pretending to be someone in a film whereas Kevin Spacey keeps me engaged in the magic of the story.

A clumsy 3D effect (usually a spear or hand thrust into your face) just breaks that magic.

I'm hoping that Diddly Squat uses 3D in Prometheus in order to convey some kind of majesty to his sets rather than having stuff leap from the screen. 

Avatar used 3D effectively but it was "shot" in 3D not retro-fitted.  In fact, without 3D, Avatar isn't worth the entrance fee, so it shows it can add to a film if it's designed in 3D from the start.

Steph

« Reply #2396 on: 16 May, 2012, 06:16:35 pm »
Indeed. I remember when I first started to notice the old red-blue 3D films on TV as a kid. There would always be some flaming arrow or catapult fireball flying straight at the camera.

« Reply #2397 on: 17 May, 2012, 12:24:54 pm »
Ice Princess, yesterday afternoon.

I need a job.

AndyK

« Reply #2398 on: 17 May, 2012, 01:40:57 pm »

Probably retro-fitted 3D. 

Nope, this was Tron Legacy.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2399 on: 17 May, 2012, 03:05:47 pm »
Centurion