Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950503 times)

Richard A Thackeray

• Yorkshire Born & Bred
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2725 on: 30 November, 2012, 05:34:58 pm »
'Avengers Assemble'

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2726 on: 02 December, 2012, 04:21:17 pm »
Saw 'Argo' earlier today, about to see 'Sightseers'.

LindaG

« Reply #2727 on: 04 December, 2012, 10:00:58 pm »
Beasts of the Southern Wild.

Time will tell but I think it's up there with any of the great films I think I've seen.

It really is very good, isn't it.  We went to see it tonight. 

When you need to process a film for several hours after seeing it, that's often a sign of a great movie.  And it looked beautiful didn't it?

« Reply #2728 on: 05 December, 2012, 08:37:04 am »
Really glad you enjoyed it. It'd have been interesting to see the play it was based on (if I remember that bit correctly).

We saw Sightseers on Sunday for what might be our last cinema trip for a while and wished I'd gone to see almost anything else instead.
We laughed a lot and it was very well done but I didn't think there was much to be gained from seeing it at the pictures rather than at home so it felt a bit like a wasted cinematic experience for me, if that makes sense.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2729 on: 05 December, 2012, 09:32:36 am »
Brave

I liked it, despite it being a typical Disney/Pixar moralistic tale.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #2730 on: 05 December, 2012, 11:01:56 am »
Really glad you enjoyed it. It'd have been interesting to see the play it was based on (if I remember that bit correctly).

We saw Sightseers on Sunday for what might be our last cinema trip for a while and wished I'd gone to see almost anything else instead.
We laughed a lot and it was very well done but I didn't think there was much to be gained from seeing it at the pictures rather than at home so it felt a bit like a wasted cinematic experience for me, if that makes sense.

Agreed, I saw it on a shitty little screen and the digital projection was rubbish quality. Would have been better at home, a rubbish state of affairs.

« Reply #2731 on: 05 December, 2012, 11:35:35 am »
Challenge to Lassie

Loosely based of Grayfriars Bobby but with Lassie instead of a terrier. Supposedly set in Victorian Edinburgh but filmed in California in 1949 with lots of dreadful Scottish accents.

Well it was 3:00am and was all that was on TV ...
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

LindaG

« Reply #2732 on: 05 December, 2012, 01:36:34 pm »
Challenge to Lassie

Loosely based of Grayfriars Bobby but with Lassie instead of a terrier. Supposedly set in Victorian Edinburgh but filmed in California in 1949 with lots of dreadful Scottish accents.

Well it was 3:00am and was all that was on TV ...

I think I saw that when I was a kid!   :D

LindaG

« Reply #2733 on: 05 December, 2012, 07:11:13 pm »
Beasts of the Southern Wild.

Time will tell but I think it's up there with any of the great films I think I've seen.

It really is very good, isn't it.  We went to see it tonight. 

When you need to process a film for several hours after seeing it, that's often a sign of a great movie.  And it looked beautiful didn't it?

Thinking about it, parts of this film, when I was watching it, made me think of what the yacf community would be like, post-apocalypse  ;)

A couple of reviews have compared this film to 'Tree Of Life', which I never managed to see.  Another one for the list.

« Reply #2734 on: 06 December, 2012, 08:58:02 am »
La Source des Femmes. pretty enough scenery and a trite storyline.  Repressed womanhood challenging male dominance was better illustrated in BBC4's "Solar Mamas".
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2735 on: 06 December, 2012, 04:31:37 pm »
Jagten. Superb.  Mads Mikkelsen doesn't bleed from his eye in this one mind, and not the best advert for getting men to work with children in any capacity.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim KrabbĂ©. Possibly

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #2736 on: 08 December, 2012, 03:04:09 pm »
Iron Sky  :thumbsup:
and
The Amazing Spider-Man, which I actually found quite good compared to the previous spiderman.

Hillbilly

« Reply #2737 on: 08 December, 2012, 08:52:20 pm »
Centurion.  UK blood and sandals chase film.  Great British cast that is wasted on a run of the mill script.  One to have on in the background rather than giving it your full attention.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2738 on: 09 December, 2012, 09:54:26 am »
The Hunt For Red October.  All good fun, although even I can see that the submarine combat sequences are total bollix.  And does the interior of a Typhoon-class submarine really look that cool?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2739 on: 10 December, 2012, 05:52:36 pm »
The Hunt For Red October.  All good fun, although even I can see that the submarine combat sequences are total bollix. ...

TV Tropes - Hot Sub-on-Sub Action

(I also wonder if the 2D Space trope should apply, although the entry implies that submarines are a valid exception).
Actually, it is rocket science.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #2740 on: 10 December, 2012, 06:19:42 pm »
Vin Garbutt, Teesside Troubadour.  Bloomin' marvellous, loads of footage of Vin playing, singing and wittering in his own unique style.  A lovely affectionate and humorous portrait of someone who deserves to be much better-known outside the folk music scene.  And if you thought Vin could go on, you should hear Craig Hornby (the maker of the film) introduce and outroduce it...

And the last-but-one:  Anna Karenina.  After 10 minutes I hated it, was muttering "Why couldn't they have just done it straight?", but by the end I was converted.  Loved it.  I was astonished at the way it brought many parts of the book vividly to life - and I'm always one to read the book rather than watch the film, in general.  It probably helped that it was shown on a very noisy old-style clacketty-clack projector in Arnside village hall, with a break for the raffle while they changed the reels  :)

LindaG

« Reply #2741 on: 10 December, 2012, 07:26:07 pm »
Vin Garbutt, Teesside Troubadour.  Bloomin' marvellous, loads of footage of Vin playing, singing and wittering in his own unique style.  A lovely affectionate and humorous portrait of someone who deserves to be much better-known outside the folk music scene.  And if you thought Vin could go on, you should hear Craig Hornby (the maker of the film) introduce and outroduce it...

And the last-but-one:  Anna Karenina.  After 10 minutes I hated it, was muttering "Why couldn't they have just done it straight?", but by the end I was converted.  Loved it.  I was astonished at the way it brought many parts of the book vividly to life - and I'm always one to read the book rather than watch the film, in general.  It probably helped that it was shown on a very noisy old-style clacketty-clack projector in Arnside village hall, with a break for the raffle while they changed the reels  :)

Yebbut ... Knightley ...

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #2742 on: 10 December, 2012, 08:22:32 pm »
Yebbut ... Knightley ...

Well, yeah, that was a bit unfortunate.  I can't say that she added owt to it.

But she wasn't in the Vin Garbutt film  ;D

LindaG

« Reply #2743 on: 10 December, 2012, 09:11:52 pm »
They should've given Vin the Knightley role in Anna Karenina. 

I like Vin Garbutt.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #2744 on: 13 December, 2012, 05:23:07 pm »
The Hobbit: An unexpected journey.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2745 on: 13 December, 2012, 06:07:13 pm »
I refuse to go and see a very short children's book spun out into 9 hours just to get 3x the ticket sales.  Bah.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2746 on: 13 December, 2012, 09:20:46 pm »
Seven Psychopaths which I enjoyed despite being a bit short-changed on the psychopath front
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2747 on: 13 December, 2012, 10:40:31 pm »
I refuse to go and see a very short children's book spun out into 9 hours just to get 3x the ticket sales.  Bah.

I knew they had stretchded it to two films, but when they totally stretchtededed it to three I imagined that they must all talk very slowly.
It is simpler than it looks.

red marley

« Reply #2748 on: 14 December, 2012, 01:04:44 pm »
I imagine the third film is mostly extended elven song cycles with authentic Middle Earthean tonal structure. I can't wait.

« Reply #2749 on: 14 December, 2012, 01:09:08 pm »
Panic Room

Last night on Film4.

Great film starring Jodie Foster & a young Kristain Stewart ... of Twilight fame.